How to use weekly heat correctly

hydrating/moisturizing shampoo (to remove buildup) and dc. use a good leave-in, heat protectant, and allow your hair to dry half-way under the hooded dryer then blow dry, or air dry. flat iron on med-high setting. moisturize and seal as needed. wrap hair at night.

Last edited:
I agree with most of the ladies on here. I am able to retain length just fine and I use heat once a week after a good DC for 15-30 mins with heat. :yep: I think its important to have a good start ( a good trim to remove split ends so you dont risk them splitting further ) and MOISTURE is the key!

As long as you are deep conditioning weekly, using a heat protectant, and moisturizing and seal nightly your hair should be just fine in keeping retention. Try air drying 80% before using any heat. Using heat dries out hair strands so we have to keep the moisture levels up!

Also I find that when I wear my hair curly or braidouts I lose length because of detangling and manipulation.

Last edited:
Foxie, where you been?

Rollersetting JACKED my ends so.......It is def possible to retain with heat. Only 2 years ago my hair was barely SL and very damaged (even 1 inch in many spots). I have passed BSL 3 times since then using heat weekly. The first time I cut to APL and colored by choice (before LHCF). The second time and third time, my hair was cut by a scissor happy stylist. I am now doing my own trimming:rolleyes: and I am inching toward MBL. Umm er um, I have seen several spend their lives in protective styles and braidouts, ect and stay at the same length forever. So its most important to find what you hair can and can't take. If you hair can take weekly heat and retain (and you like to use heat), luck you :grin:. If not, well find something that your hair can take

If it matters, I think the key to using weekly heat and keeping hair on you head is to DC and know your limits. Simple as that.

@shtow do you have any idea why roller setting jacked your ends? I've been roller setting for years and I've noticed that I haven't gained any length...as a matter of a fact I've lost length! But when my beautician roller set my hair my hair grew! Maybe I should make a separate thread because I don't want to hijack this one, but I use end papers when I roller set but it hasn't helped! I don't get it!!

@shtow do you have any idea why roller setting jacked your ends? I've been roller setting for years and I've noticed that I haven't gained any length...as a matter of a fact I've lost length! But when my beautician roller set my hair my hair grew! Maybe I should make a separate thread because I don't want to hijack this one, but I use end papers when I roller set but it hasn't helped! I don't get it!!
I'm guessing it was all the manipulation on wet hair. I think wet hair is hair in its weakest state.

I bumped this post because I am at the point where I am tired of protective styling (mostly wigs) and I want to enjoy my own hair. Over the years, wigs and even half wigs caused some bald spots from the combs on the wigs (I was aware while it was happening ... I tried to protect those areas as much as possible). After reading the issues with roller setting, although I never ever had good results, I have decided I will try flat ironing on wash day, once a week. I had quite a few setbacks in the past and was praying that with moderate heat, a quality iron, DC'ing, heat protect I may be one of the lucky ones. Btw I am relaxed.

For those of you that moisturize and seal every other day....what products are you using to do this? That would be really helpful.

Back