How to Save Money While Growing Hair

tryn2growmyhair

Hi Everyone,
I'm a :newbie: and I've only been doing this for a few months, but I am finding that it is really expensive. I want to grow my hair but I don't want to break the bank. I know we've all seen women who you CAN JUST TELL spend all their money on their hair. So I came up with some things that have helped me to save a bit and try to cure my PJism and would love it if others would chip in with their tips.

I've saved money by
1) Airdrying instead of going to the Dominicans for a weekly washnset/blowout. I think this has helped me to save money AND saved my hair, LOL! :D
2) Reading the ingredients of products -- even if they are recommended on this board. If an ingredient that my hair does not like, such as glycerine, is mentioned high up in the ingredient list, I don't buy it.
3) Buying kitchen oils in the supermarket instead of buying them in the bss. For instance, avocado oil, safflower oil, grapeseed oil, olive oil, coconut oil can all be found at supermarket and they are much cheaper there than buying stuff at the beauty supply store.
4) Looking at the ingredients in a product that I like and seeing if I can make it myself. I have done this with phyto, Carolyn Gray and Cathy Howse. I have been surprised at how many products are full of preservatives and thickeners, a lot of time I have the main ingredient at home, such as jojoba or shea butter, so usually I'll try to just use what I have at home.
5) Asking for free samples. I am so surprised at how many companies are willing to give these out! I did not realize this before coming to this board. If you can't get a free sample, then buy the smallest size possible. Try to buy the item at a store where you can take it back if it doesn't work or you don't like it. A lot of BSS do not do this, so be careful about products you are not sure of from them.
6) Taking out books from the library and read them first, then buying only the ones that I know I will refer to repeatedly. I had to buy some books that I could not find at my local library, but saved a ton by checking out a lot books. Books have been superhelpful to me in my hair journey BTW.
7) Only spending money on essentials items that cannot be duplicated -- for me, these are some beauty products and essential oils. There is really no way for me to get these items for super cheap, so I just shop around and try to make them last a long time.
8) Don't look down at cheap products. After all the money that I have been spending I have found that some items, such as Suave Humectant and Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Cholestrol, are just as good as expensive products.

HTH and hope to hear from more of you about your tips.
:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

SouthernGirl

Great thread :up:

I save money in general by doing EVERYTHING myself- styling, cutting, relaxing, etc. I don't go to the salon for anything, and I just smile when I think of all of the $$ I save.

The money I save goes to support my designer bag habit :)

SG

candibaby

DEFINETLY asking for samples before I buy a product saves me lots of $$$.
I know if you look in my album at all my products you'll think I'm a PJ, but I'm actually not.. everything I buy serves a specific purpose.. I think I save money that way, by not buying 23571353 of things I already have like shampoos and conditioners.

blue_flower

You guys probably already know this, but if you buy something like V05 or Suave and you have a coupon, you're almost basically getting it for free. I have around 6 bottles of V05 conditioner at home.

Kalani

Good thread! Being a bonafide PJ, I have made efforts to save money myself. Yesterday I was at Barnes'n'Noble to look for a haircare book I heard about. It wasn't a very thick book so instead of buying it, I read through the chapters that related to my needs and took some notes. I got the information I needed and saved money.
I have no shame! :D

tammiematthews

Another tip for the cheapie conditioners....check out the last sale bin or shelf. I found Aussie 3 min miracle deeep at the dollar store on the last sale shelf for less than 2.00 (this product is usually raved about on this board) every store has a bin or shelf for products they are trying to get rid of for the "low-low" I usually find the Suave or VO5 at my local Walgreens for 99 cents. **Very good, cheap products!** Another tip...If you have a good girlfriend, cousin, aunt, sister..whatever...raid her bathroom cabinet for some products...I do. (especially if you cant afford to do the product exchange that the board offers, shipping, etc.) I had Mane N Tail under my bathroom cabinet for over 6 months before I started to use it again..Im sure someone has a product that didnt work for them just sitting under a cabinet waiting for you to pick up.

honeisos

Very good advise!...
I am a PJ and and really have cut my products down to 3-4 things I use all the time...
I love free samples ! it's like hitting the PJ lotto! LOL

webby

Think Slim
:up: especially buying essential oils in the supermarket when possible. BBS and healthfood stores jackup the prices. Also, in most cases what you get in the BBS has so much perfume and coloring added, I question whether or not the value is diminished.

hottopic

Another thing you can do is check in your closet of products to see what you have first before you go shopping. That save me a bunch. I made new conditioner out of old ones. I made new shampoo too. And check you kitchen for products that promote hair growth. Like peanuts, eggs, olive oil, vitamins,lemons (for a cleaners wash),honey, ect........This save me money too.....

hotshot

Great thread! I have quite a few products, but have managed to get most of them for free from LHCF meetings and friends. I research a products really well before I buy, as well. i dont think ive ever purchased something i didnt like. I m also big on swapping or just plain getting rid of stuff to share the wealth.

The only things is I wish I coukld braid my own hair. Ive decided to go with friends of friends to braid my hair, which is way cheaper and easier to communicate what I want.

greenidlady1

Great thread! Hitting the dollar store is always a good bet. You never know what you'll find there. The grocery store is a good place for cheapie product stretchers too. I get my olive oil, coconut milk, honey and limes there.
Finally, experimenting with making your own products is a good trick. You can make your own moisture spray by mixing leave-in conditioner, distilled water and other oils and conditioners. You can experiment with different combinations and it's much cheaper than buying a new one each time.

tryn2growmyhair

Thanks for all the great responses. I am looking forward to hearing more from others about this. Also,I am starting to see a common thread, which is that people should shop at the supermarket for some of their things. Many of my most reliable products, olive oil (both extra virgin for conditioners and hot oil treatments and light for wearing around after wash day because I don;t want to smell like olive oil all the time), coconut oil, safflower oil, avocado oil, avocados, coconuts, you name it come from the sp. I learned to only shop at hfs and bss AFTER checking the sm. I cannot agree more with this and with trying to make your own products. I found that making my own grease (shea butter,coconut oils and other oils) was the most effective moisturizer I could put in my hair).

LABETT

Keep a eye out for those salon products marked down sales they usually have a table with products on salefor $4 or $5 bucks or even less.
I bought a lot of salon products last year from these sales and stylist are always giving me samples.

Porsche19

Look out for sales and cheapies in the dollar stores.

Every few months or so, I ask for free samples/coupons, sometimes i can get full sized products for under a dollar with the coupons. hehe

Shop around. A lot of beauty supply stores have different prices for different products, so I wind up buying specific products from specific stores.

cece22

I have not saved any money despite my having my own tools, rollers, essential oils, hooded dryer, ceramic irons and curlers, and loads of products that work good I can sew in tracks, braid with added hair, roller wrap, and do spiral sets and my Mom does my cornrows when I want them. My problem is I am a stickler for something new, and I went on a remi hair weave spree were I just had to have all this remi hair and all these products to go with it. I just did a sew in last week with non-remi it cost me 35.00 for the hair and 14.00 for hair cuttery to style it guess what I don't like it so I will probably be getting rid of it this weekend but hey I saved because i did it myself. Now I want to go to the African gallery to get something for 180.00 and up. I guess I will have to go on a save money challenge. I guess my main challenge will be working with my skills and using what I have.

MizAvalon

Great thread with lots of good tips. But, I'm amazed to hear that these "essential oils" that I have heard so many refer to are really just the grocery store oils? LOL Olive, grapeseed, safflower, etc.? I honestly thought that "essential oils" were some kind of special oils.

Porsche19

No, those are carrier oils... essential oils are oils like rosemary, sage and stuff like that I believe.

tryn2growmyhair

Yes, essential oils (peppermint, clary sage, tea tree, rosemary, etc) are the one expense that I allow myself but I have saved money by buying food grade kitchen oils and using them as carrier oils as opposed to buying oils from the bss store which are either adulturated if they are cheap or super expensive if they are pure.

Another big money AND HAIR saver for me has been to make my own seamless rubberbands out of cheap pantyhose. I bought pantyhose for 1.99 or less, cut of the feet for the baggie method (thanks Adrienne!) and cut the rest into strips for ponytails. I have a lot less breakage with these ponytail holders. I think that even the manufactured "seamless" elastics usually have a little hard nub that I know would eventually break my hair, esp because I like to put my hair up to dry and that stuff would eventually just cut my wet hair right up!

All that said, growing hair is still super expensive! I have found trying out products to be the most expensive and curbing PJ tendencies. I hope that once I have a routine I will save money by only buying products I know work.

PhonyBaloney500

tryn2growmyhair said:
Another big money AND HAIR saver for me has been to make my own seamless rubberbands out of cheap pantyhose. I bought pantyhose for 1.99 or less, cut of the feet for the baggie method (thanks Adrienne!) and cut the rest into strips for ponytails. I have a lot less breakage with these ponytail holders. I think that even the manufactured "seamless" elastics usually have a little hard nub that I know would eventually break my hair, esp because I like to put my hair up to dry and that stuff would eventually just cut my wet hair right up!

Interesting idea! Do you tie the strip into a knot or sew it into one piece somehow? :)

tryn2growmyhair

PhonyBaloney500 said:
Interesting idea! Do you tie the strip into a knot or sew it into one piece somehow? :)
No sewing involved! :grin: That's why I love this, because I am too busy to sew and grewing hair takes up too much time as it is. Just cut off the feet and then cut the remaining pantyhose into rings. They will curl up themselves. They are just like Scunci's pantyhose seamless hairbands, but they are cheapers and softer on the hair. HTH :D

KAddy

tryn2growmyhair said:
No sewing involved! :grin: That's why I love this, because I am too busy to sew and grewing hair takes up too much time as it is. Just cut off the feet and then cut the remaining pantyhose into rings. They will curl up themselves. They are just like Scunci's pantyhose seamless hairbands, but they are cheapers and softer on the hair. HTH :D
This is excellent. I can't tell you how many of my hose have runs and need to be thrown out :look: Now I can keep the good leg :lachen:

lalah

Thanks so much for this idea. I hate wearing stockings and I only buy them for special occasions(1or 2x/yr). Now I can put them to some use. I was just contemplation buying pony tail holders because scrunchies slip off my hair and I cannot seem to get them tight enough.

tryn2growmyhair

lalah said:
Thanks so much for this idea. I hate wearing stockings and I only buy them for special occasions(1or 2x/yr). Now I can put them to some use. I was just contemplation buying pony tail holders because scrunchies slip off my hair and I cannot seem to get them tight enough.

Thanks, Kaddy and Lalah! :D My hair is very fragile and I fear that even regular ponytail holders could break my hair. This method has really helped with that. My one suggestion is to use the thickest possible pantyhose and do not use cotton (isn't cottons supposed to be drying?) The great thing about the homemade ponytail holders is that they the runs do not show, even when they get runs in them :lachen: !

Survive4

:p Dang I coulda used this thread yesterday. Went and spent $3 a pop on those Scrunci bands. :ohwell: Well live and learn ladies, off to the dollar store on the way home to buy some tights!!!!