How to make my kitchen grow?

Naturelie

Hi girls!
Before I ask, "for those of you who don't, the "kitchen' refers to the back portion of your hair that is close to your neck, and that was usually shorter"
My kitchen strands are really really fine. Since the beginning of my HHJ (january 2012) it has grown but not enough to be styled so it is always unruly even if I wear a neat bun (my go to style). Really would like to know how to avoid breakage in this area that is too short to PS.
I'm waiting for you tips.
Thanks in advance.

Chile, we know what a kitchen is! :lol: Use the same healthy hair practices as the rest of your head, be more mindful of the tension and heat put to that area as well. :yep:

Good luck, OP!

Chile, we know what a kitchen is! :lol: Use the same healthy hair practices as the rest of your head, be more mindful of the tension and heat put to that area as well. :yep:

Good luck, OP!

Yes it is what I do but it seems to retain so little length. For my really fine strands PS is essential and, as I said, I cannot PS it beause it's too short. Moreover, my satin scarf doesn't cover that area at night. I guess it doesn't help.
Would like to hear about someone who achieved to grow her kitchen as long as her nape.

Keep that area moisturized and sealed often...probably daily. Use some type of protein leave in on it since it it fine. Keep it in a few braids every day or a flat twist and pin it up for buns. My dd has the same problem with her nape broken off, but ever since I have been keeping it in its own twists or braids, moisturized and seperate from the other hair, it has retained significantly.

Eta: Also keep the knot of your scarf away from it. Tie your scarf in the front so there is no tension on it at night. Also try some low buns to reduce tension. There should be little to no tension on that area.

Last edited:
Keep that area moisturized and sealed often...probably daily. Use some type of protein leave in on it since it it fine. Keep it in a few braids every day or a flat twist and pin it up for buns. My dd has the same problem with her nape broken off, but ever since I have been keeping it in its own twists or braids, moisturized and seperate from the other hair, it has retained significantly.

Thanks! Guess I'll try to braid and pin it.

Eta: Also keep the knot of your scarf away from it. Tie your scarf in the front so there is no tensiom on it at night. Also try some low buns to reduce tension. There should be little to no tension on that area.

Think it will help me a lot!

Yes it is what I do but it seems to retain so little length. For my really fine strands PS is essential and, as I said, I cannot PS it beause it's too short. Moreover, my satin scarf doesn't cover that area at night. I guess it doesn't help.
Would like to hear about someone who achieved to grow her kitchen as long as her nape.

Get a satin pillowcase :yep: Also, your buns could be the culprit. That can add a lot of tension as well. If possible, try to leave iy looser in the back.

I haven't had issues with my nape, it's grown as the same rate as the rest of my hair so the other ladies may have more suggestions.

BEAUTYU2U said:

Good luck, OP!

I was :lol: at the explanation of kitchen. OP you are cute!

I agree with the above posters. I also use protein a few times a week on that area and use a dc on it every day.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Moisturize your kitchen every day and seal with castor oil. I literally flip my hair over to do this. This area (and your hairline too) is just as sensitive as your ends.

Do the same when you are deep conditioning - flip your hair over and use a generous amount.

syncerelyhis said:
Moisturize your kitchen every day and seal with castor oil. I literally flip my hair over to do this. This area (and your hairline too) is just as sensitive as your ends.

Do the same when you are deep conditioning - flip your hair over and use a generous amount.

Yes I moisturize and seal it everyday. I use BRBC or Darcy's cocoa bean smoothing cream and seal with jbco or non-petroleum jelly.

Hi girls!
Before I ask, "for those of you who don't, the "kitchen' refers to the back portion of your hair that is close to your neck, and that was usually shorter"
My kitchen strands are really really fine. Since the beginning of my HHJ (january 2012) it has grown but not enough to be styled so it is always unruly even if I wear a neat bun (my go to style). Really would like to know how to avoid breakage in this area that is too short to PS.
I'm waiting for you tips.
Thanks in advance.

I feel your pain. My kitchen has been non-existent for years. It's very fine and dry. It manages to grow in, split and break. I literally have splits on the hair there. Not sure why. I even sent in a sample for a hair analysis and was told that some areas of our hair are weaker than others. I went to a natural stylist years ago, Stephanie Suthers, (love her). She suggested that I keep this area braided. It was too short to braid, so I grabbed whatever i could and tried to twirl it between my fingers and pinned it down. I pinned down hair that didn't stretch or bend. Stephanie said I had to give my nape direction, a growth direction.

Long story short, my hair grew for the first time in many, many years. Same issue with my edges. I keep both areas twisted and clipped down (out of sight) and they have both grown.

MOISTURE!!! I added castor oil and different products over the years, but my hair remained dry, dry, dry. S Curl helped. Shea Hemp Growth butter helped a lot, but I FINALLY tried Taliah Waajid's spray and my hair loves it. So, the combo of twisting my nape and using Taliah Waajid's bodipher spray has been a huge blessing and now I have hair in my nape and edges. Keep the heat off these areas.

When I still relaxed I would actually cut those hairs off because they "wouldn't grow" and would stick out. :lol:

I BCed mine (I'm transitioning) and I keep them in two little twists all the time. When the twists were shorter I would pin them up if I had my hair up, now that they're a little below shoulder length they reach whatever updo/bun I do. The pic below is oldish but it looks something like this, I had yet to pin them up.

20130626_171931.jpg

For me, skipping relaxing that area. My nape is still challenged but is bouncing back. I think stress broke mine off originally though.

Yes I moisturize and seal it everyday. I use BRBC or Darcy's cocoa bean smoothing cream and seal with jbco or non-petroleum jelly.

HanaKuroi, what do you mean by moisturize? Sorry for my ignorance. Do you wet the area with water and then just add an oil to it? I feel so ignorant on this side of the forum. :nono:

I moisturized and apply castor oil every night around my hairline. I think I will twist and braid my hairline before going to bed at night.

Oooh I know all about kitchens! LOL! For years when I was relaxed that area stayed short so I just used to get it shaved or cut down to look neat. Then one day my dear friend told me to stop! Just let it grow. I moisturized it and left it alone and it grew quite a bit, but never really caught up to the rest of my hair. Now fast forward to my being natural now and I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it (being natural), but this time around I started twisting that area or putting it in little braids and keeping it moisturized. Now, my nape is nearly the same length as the rest of my hair. FINALLY!

OP I was you a few years back. I did exactly what you are doing asking questions and I read every on-line article on the topic.

FIRST: Adress the issue that is causing the problem. For me, my nape was breaking as fast as it was growing, actually faster. My problem was over processed hair and splits. Like you my nape hair is super fine.

SOLUTION:
- Slowly trim the damage away.
- Separate the nape from the rest of your hair
- Moisturize and seal, two layers if you want.
- Make a vertical braid and wear your other hair in a bun.
- Use a satin headband so that your nape is covered and you're not walking around looking crazy.
- Only redo the braid every few days to cut down on manipulation.
- Use a homemade or commercial moisturizing spritz and spray your nape whenever you think about it.
- Continue to slowly trim your nape until all the damaged hair is gone.

I don't recall reading if you're relaxed, texlaxed or natural. If relaxed or texlaxed, either stop processing your nape for a while or be sure to relax it last. I chose to have my nape relaxed last and I trimmed often? now my nape is HEALTHY and LONG! I was once told that that hair was just bad hair or nerve problems, don't believe anyone when they say you should just accept that's just the way your hair is. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:
When I still relaxed I would actually cut those hairs off because they "wouldn't grow" and would stick out. :lol:

I BCed mine (I'm transitioning) and I keep them in two little twists all the time. When the twists were shorter I would pin them up if I had my hair up, now that they're a little below shoulder length they reach whatever updo/bun I do. The pic below is oldish but it looks something like this, I had yet to pin them up.

20130626_171931.jpg

^^^This is what I did, and still do occassionally, and my nape is the same length as the rest of my hair. Although, I will say that it was never a real problem area to begin with. I just like to flat twist it and put it up. it adds a certain texture to my buns.

The biggest issue I ever had with my kitchen was not using a satin hair scarf at night, knotting my scarf in the same area really tight and allowing wool coats and satin scarfs touch that area in the winter. Once I fixed the first two issues, I haven't had problems since, even with wool coats and heavy scarves. I do keep it moisturized and I don't pull that area for the most part.

Back