How much stretching is too much?

spinspinshuga

ETA: I'm sorry if people misunderstood my original post. By stretching, I mean the elasticity of individual strands, rather than how long you wait in between relaxers.

I am transitioning and my last texlax was in November.
I am currently experiencing horrendous breakage. For some reason I went back to cowashing, which caused me to lose almost an inch of growth. It simply doesn't work for me.
In any case, I think my hair might not be getting sufficient protein, but I'm not sure. It feels dry, stringy, and thin right now, which makes me think it needs more moisture; but it also stretches, which I've read means you need more protein. However, adding protein does not help the stretch and only dries out my hair even more. So my question is: how much is your hair supposed to stretch before breaking? What is a healthy amount of stretch?

Also, my hair does not like protein much, but if it does need it, should I use Aubrey BGP, or get an Aphogee product? I have fine, transitioning, 3 something (I think) hair.

Last edited:

newflowers

I really think the amount of elasticity in your hair is dependent upon the individual. It sounds like the problem is at the demarcation line - perhaps you can use a light protein, get one that has hydrolyzed silk and/or hydrolyzed human hair keratin. You might also try a product with ceramides. And then extra moisture - what moisture products do you use?

locabouthair

I agree with newflowers. Maybe a little protein might help.

But how much stretching depends on your hair.
What I learned recently is that if you are going to stretch or transition you have to handle your hair differently.

I have very kinky 4z hair. I'm maybe 10 weeks post plus my hair was underprocessed at the last touchup so I'm more like 16 weeks post. I stopped combing and manipulating my hair daily because I'm wearing a half wig so I'm not getting breakage opposed to if I was combing my hair twice a day trying to deal with two different textures.

Bottomline, I think less manipulation is best if your dealing with two textures. Also assess your moisture/protein balance.

winterinatl

All natural!
I can stretch about 5 months; at that point I experience nasty breakage.

I personally think that if you can keep the whole head one texture (straight or uniform wavy) you could go longer. But I had breakage because of the warring textures would tangle.

I tried the BKT to help transition.