How many times did YOU Transition?

Chameleonchick

Well I am not feeling well today. I had been transitioning for 8 and a half months. Then my hubby comes home for leave and I just put out the idea that I wish I could relax my hair temporarily and he seemed happy. I was like huh? I mean all that time I was transitioning he said he couldn't wait until I had a long natural hair yada yada yada, and now he's telling me that my nappy hair was not attractive. What the hell? He said he was trying to do the right thing and be supportive. Well I said I will relax my hair. Well I did relax or texlax whatever, and now that he's gone I feel like crap. All that time down the drain. Now keep in mind that was my second time transitioning at least on purpose, and the first time I did the big chop which I told myself I would never do again. I had planned to wait until June of 2009 for that because I would have been 18 months.

Yes I'll admit that before relaxing I would dread wash day I mean literally. My hair would dread up and it was hard to detangle, but I wanted to be that natural woman, you know. Where I could go anywhere and my hair be okay. We like being outdoors a lot. Well anyways how many times did you transition?

ChameleonChick, I'm sorry you are going through this. Its hard when the people you care about aren't supportive. Its also hard when you are transitioning cause others dont see the final product until the relaxed part is gone.

I've gone through this myself and have transitioned multiple times. Everytime I relax I will go 4 months and transition and break down. The longest I went was a year and I wore braids, it was before LHCF and I broke down and relaxed.

Its never to late to start again but you may want to consider getting a nice weave or some braids to get you through the awkward growing out phase.

i BC'd once and transitioned once. it is really hard when you feel that no one supports you. but you have an entire family here on the forum. for me i cannot transition with my hair out, because i am style challenged. that is why i BC'd or wore braids and kinki twists for a year. so needless to say i have been natural twice and to this day i get thoughts of a relaxer. but i won't do it because i want to see how far i can take it. hang in there...or maybe you can just cut the rest of the relaxed hair off and be done with it!!!

This is my second time transitioning. The first time I did it was because I had dyed my hair and it was beginning to break off very badly. I knew I could not relax becaue it would just make the hair weaker. I went 7 months and then I couldnt' take it. IT was enough to cut out the part that was severly damaged by the dye. I am now 2 1/2 months into my second transition. I know how you feel. I also dread wash day. Transitioning can get crazy but I'm willing to stick with it this time.

I have been back and forth so many times it is pitiful, I don't have enough fingers to count, so I just lightly relaxed my curls and I am sticking to that. But I never transitioned because I was impatient, but maybe next time I can just let it grow on out without doing a BC. You will be fine, too bad you couldn't find someone to press it out or give you a nice braid style.

This is my first time transitioning. It'll soon be a year. I am so looking forward to being relaxer free and wearing my hair both curly and straight.

This is my first time transitioning and hopefully the last. I am shedding a bit more than normal, but I am determined to stay away from relaxers. If all my texlax hair comes off (which I highly doubt will happen) oh well, I'll be cool with it - I eventually would need to cut it off eitherway to be considered au naturale. It may be just me but I wouldn't care if my SO didn't like my transitional hair, I have to do what makes me happy cause if I'm not happy - NO ONE is happy!

I feel your pain. My boyfriend did me the same way. All that hard work down the drain because I wanted to please him more than me. But NEVER AGAIN! don't let it get to you. Just stay focused!!

Twice. Both times, I didn't know what transitioning was. I went through one via neglect (I was 13), and I went through the other in braids the whole time (I was 20, or so?).

Twice. Both times, I didn't know what transitioning was. I went through one via neglect (I was 13), and I went through the other in braids the whole time (I was 20, or so?).

How long did you transition for? I want to do this again, but he should be home for good in about six months I really don't want him to change my mind again. But I am not willing to do the BC again , it was too much of a shock for me.

How long did you transition for? I want to do this again, but he should be home for good in about six months I really don't want him to change my mind again. But I am not willing to do the BC again , it was too much of a shock for me.

*thinks* I was in braids for - maybe 18 months, I think? I would keep them in for 12 weeks at a time, and got the hairline/edge redone at the 6 week mark. I would take the braids down after 12 weeks, DC my hair, wear my hair out for maybe a weekend, trim off about 1/2 - to 3/4 of an inch of hair, and then get the braids put back in. Mind you, I had a REALLY short hair cut

2253128331_8423bf663b.jpg

so it wasn't like I had all that much to grow out. Once all of the relaxed hair was cut off, I would get cornrows or do two strand twists.

This is my second and last time, hopefully! I gave up after 7 months,this time last year because like you my boyfriend was insensitive and unsupportive. After getting 3 texlaxes/texurizers I decided to try for the last time and here I am again at 6 months.He's finally came around and likes the idea of me staying away from relaxers(b/c of the harsh chemicals),now we're dealing with me wearing my hair straight all the time. He'll have to get over this too when I'm completely natural.

I feel your pain, I have some relatives telling me that I look like I'm punishing myself for something :rolleyes: It is hard, very hard, specially when I think my hair looks at least cute, but people keep asking me what's wrong with me:perplexed

This is my 3rd transition

Transition 1 - BC'd after 6 months (was tryin to go for a year)
Transition 2 - lasted only 5 months then relaxed (so it was really a stretch)
Transition 3 - currently ongoing, i'm at 13 months and going for at least 24! I'd sooner BC than relax so I'm gooooood

This is my 2nd Transition. The first time I transitioned for four months and BCed. I relaxed about two or three months after 1st BC. I now plan on transitioning for one year; I may not BC until a year and a half. I need to make sure that I have enough hair to have cute styles.

I transitioned twice. First time I was 14 and my mother had me do it for the health of my hair. For that I transitioned for 2 years. I wanted to turn back to relaxers after a 3 months of being natural because I had no idea how to take care of my natural hair. It was so hard for me to manage and the boys at school would call me names. After getting relaxers again my hair started to shed like crazy and I transitioned for the second time. Now I'm fully natural again , I have better knowledge of how to care of my and it is not so hard after all!

Think I'm the transition champ. This makes 8 times for me. :blush: I could not style my hair and each time I gave in due to peer and inner pressure. This time, I am taking a more concerted effort on natural hair care and styling. I am not letting my impulsive nature take me over this time. (I hope):rolleyes:

Don't feel bad or beat yourself up
The good news is you can try again!

I tried to transition about 8 times, maybe more, but I couldn't deal with the two textures. I didn't have the knowledge or support of the web. Last year I went to NC.com and was finally able to do it. Transitioning is a painful process. Once its done, its over. I've been natural one year now :)

About three times before because I had damage or just wanted a change. Now I love my processed hair so I'm good.

this is my third and last transition. i thought when hubby was shot that i would be unable to take care of natural hair plus i had just had surgery and yada yada

I transitioned four times. The first time I think was in high school. I do not remember the second time, but I know there was one. The third time was around 13 or 14 years ago. I did it for a whole year and then went and got another relaxer. My last time was five years ago and has been a complete success. It was actually hell for the first two years (dry, coarse, shrunken woolly hair) until I found LHCF. I just couldn't relax it again because my hair was just too damaged. My downfall those first two years was that I just assumed that my natural hair would grow out -- pretty -- to oversimply things. I had been trying to put oils and butters and such on dry hair to moisture and nothing was working. I was using alot of heat to tame my hair and that wasn't working either. It wasn't until I found LHCF and learned that one of the most important things was getting moisture into ones hair while it is wet and retaining that moisture (through good moisturizing, mostly natural products and then sealing in that moisture) that my hair started bouncing and behaving, so to speak. Moisture, moisture, moisture is what took me from dry, coarse, shrunken hair to soft, silky beautifully textured hair, took me from hair I despised to hair I love.

ETA: Once I got moisture into my hair and was able to retain moisture, I went from using heat almost daily to only about three times a year. Moisture is definitely the key!

Last edited:
second, first time I transitioned from 13( got texlaxed 3 times at age 12/13) years old-17 years old and 17years old( I just tex-laxed once to help me out a bit until i figured out issues)- now at 19 years old, so it's been 2 years. In three years I plan either tex-laxing or relaxing bonestraight.
That's why I don't advocate the BC because many naturals just relax anyway.I am waiting for hair products to improve, technology to get better. Much can happen in 3 years, now that more and more black women are going to demand better products and hopefully relaxers can be improved...or maybe we can get another substitute

Last edited by a moderator:
Back