How many knew who John The Baptist was?

sweetvi

Once again......the bible series has influenced me to seek more knowledge ...LOL. I knew about John but never knew the real John. He is my UNSUNG hero and he never wavered from his faith. That is what I aspire to attain ! Unwavering faith... Enjoy:

John The Baptist

by Wayne Blank

"In those days John the Baptist came, preaching in the desert of Judea and saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near." This is he who was spoken of through the prophet Isaiah, "A voice of one calling in the desert, "Prepare the way for The Lord, make straight paths for Him." (Matthew 3:1-3)

John the Baptist is one of the best-known people of The Bible. And for good reason - he played a unique role in what, and Who, was to come. He was considered very highly by Jesus Christ, Who said about him, "Among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist." (Matthew 11:11). One certainly couldn't get a more rock-solid personal reference than that.

John was a prophet whose own coming was prophesied by an earlier prophet (see Prophecy) over 700 years before (Isaiah 40:3-5) - yet another illustration of God's step-by-step Plan.

1. John was a Levite. His father Zechariah was a Temple priest of the line of Abijah, and his mother Elizabeth was also descended from Aaron (Luke 1:5).
Jesus Christ and John the Baptist were related. Their mothers, Mary and Elizabeth, were cousins. (Luke 1:36).

2. John the Baptist was born 6 months before Jesus Christ (Luke 1:36). He died about 6 months before Jesus Christ (Matthew 14:10-12).

3. The angel Gabriel separately announced the coming births of Jesus Christ and John the Baptist.

4. John lived in the mountainous area of Judah, between Jerusalem and the Dead Sea (Matthew 3:1). "John's clothes were made of camel's hair (see Ships Of The Desert), and he had a leather belt around his waist. His food was locusts and wild honey." (Matthew 3:4).

5. John had a popular ministry. "People went out to him from Jerusalem and all Judea, and the whole region of The Jordan. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River (in photo above). (Matthew 3:5-6).

6. John the Baptist humbly baptized Jesus Christ (imagine the honor of being the one to do that). "Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. But John tried to deter Him, saying, "I need to be baptized by You, and do You come to me? Jesus replied, "Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness." (Matthew 3:13-15)

7. John's ministry became so popular that some wondered if he was the messiah. He answered, "I am not the Christ, but I am sent ahead of Him." (John 3:28). With the ministry of Jesus Christ then begun, John recognized that his own mission was nearing its end: "He must become greater; I must become less." (John 3:30)

8. John's ministry, and life, came to an end when he admonished Herod (see The Herods) for his sinful behavior (Luke 3:19-20). He was imprisoned at Machaerus, a fortress about 9 miles (15 kilometers) east of the Dead Sea. There, he was beheaded.

9. After he was killed, John's disciples came and buried his body, and then went and told Jesus all that had happened (Matthew 14:12). Jesus responded to the news of John's death by saying, "John was a lamp that burned and gave light, and you chose for a time to enjoy his light." (John 5:35)

Fact Finder: Who made the now-infamous request for "the head of John the Baptist on a platter"?
Matthew 14:6-11

Bible History Index | Daily Bible Study Home Page
:

sweetvi

Can't you believe he only ate locusts and honey!!!! Yet we can't even obey when he only asks us to pray (that goes for me too). I also thought it was PAUL not JOHN who was beheaded by Herod. Wow was I misinformed! I also forgot they were cousins.....wowwwwww. This series is giving me life right now!

AtlantaJJ

This series is giving me life too! I was just out in my car at lunch time listening to the Book of Daniel on my YouVersion app through the bluetooth in my car.

I can no longer say I don't know the entire Word when I can actually have the Word read to me while I'm driving, or when I'm working around the house, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I will still sit and have quiet reading and study time, but how about I can let the YouVersion app read the Book of Levitcus to me. I had a hard time getting through that book in the past...:look:

I am so exited!

I had to read about King Zedekiah this morning, because he went out in such a horrible way! The last thing he saw was his sons murdered before his eyes were gouged out :cry: I had to read that for myself!

Last edited:

Iwanthealthyhair67

^^I'm so happy for you please read it slowly or listen to a chapter a few times before going onto the next chapter.

For me, everytime I go back and re-read it's like the Lord is revealing something more to me.

MrsHaseeb

This series is giving me life too! I was just out in my car at lunch time listening to the Book of Daniel on my YouVersion app through the bluetooth in my car.

I can no longer say I don't know the entire Word when I can actually have the Word read to me while I'm driving, or when I'm working around the house, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I will still sit and have quiet reading and study time, but how about I can let the YouVersion app read the Book of Levitcus to me. I had a hard time getting through that book in the past...:look:

I am so exited!

I had to read about King Zedekiah this morning, because he went out in such a horrible way! The last thing he saw was his sons murdered before his eyes were gouged out cry: I had to read that for myself!

I understand because I had a hard time getting through the temple instructions in Exodus in the KJV, which is my preferred version to read. I had to read it in the NLT so it would make sense. When I was saved as a younger lady I read the Bible through but I didn't remember all the stories from last night and I'm on a mission to read the entire old testament again.

Last edited:

MrsHaseeb

Oh my goodness! I can have the bible read to me?????? Howww

AtlantaJJ

If you have an iPhone or Android download either the Youversion Bible App or the Bible Gateway App. They both have all the popular versions and some (not all) that you can listen to. I plug my phone into my car and listen while I drive.

Sent from my 4G HTC Thunderbolt using LHCF

brg240

^ Do you have to be online to listen? Maybe I need to download another version?

Bible.Is (Faith comes by hearing) has audio bibles too.

MrsHaseeb

^ Do you have to be online to listen? Maybe I need to download another version?

Bible.Is (Faith comes by hearing) has audio bibles too.

I have never used that one. Ill have to check it out.

Sent from my 4G HTC Thunderbolt using LHCF