How long should your hair be roughly, after 5 years?

Spongebob

Any ladies who big chopped and are into their 5+ year of hair growth? If so how long should hair be *roughly*? I've had quite a few setbacks and I believe that without a much needed trim I should be BSL, even though I was expecting WL by now :ohwell:. I'm a slow grower, but what length should you be roughly at the 5 year mark?

Mz.MoMo5235

That's really a hard thing to answer cause everyone hair is different.

But this chart was made based on average growth rate not including any set back obviously. But again, not everyone is the same.

wall

From experience...

If your hair grows 6 inches a year, chances are you'll cut 2 inches per year with trims (esp after year one or two as the hair gets older). After 5 years, you'd have an additional 20 inches from where you started. That sounds conservative, but for most of us, retaining 4 inches a year and consistently is quite challenging.

ezina

I would hope at least MBL if you're of average height and growth rate - barring any major set backs, of course.

nlamr2013

With average hair growth retaining 100% of growth no setbacks no trims etc at 6 inches a year for 5 years you should be 39 inches.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
beyond Waist length, I would think

for me personally, I think in 5 years (no jinxes) at 1/2 an inch a month (reaching low here) would yield me 30 inches of hair in 5 yrs. We shall see.:lachen:

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

Some will make 30 inches, some slow growers will make 15 inches at 1/4 an inch a month in five years. Now in five hears how much have they cut? And did they have any setbacks. I alone have had set backs from Grave's disease and then when I went hypo thyroid from RAI, and then from anemia, and again from severe anemia this year when my hair decided not to grow at all (so severely anemic that doctors wanted me to get a blood transfusion. It was because of my fibroids). So now if you then want to add slow growth moments, or other set backs (I had a bad cut at one time too where someone took sheers to my hair. And I had to take two years to even all of that out).

So you really have to factor in the unexpected. I'd say getting to mid back or waist is a great accomplishment. More if you have limited set backs or illness in that time.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
Some will make 30 inches, some slow growers will make 15 inches at 1/4 an inch a month in five years. Now in five hears how much have they cut? And did they have any setbacks. I alone have had set backs from Grave's disease and then when I went hypo thyroid from RAI, and then from anemia, and again from severe anemia this year when my hair decided not to grow at all (so severely anemic that doctors wanted me to get a blood transfusion. It was because of my fibroids). So now if you then want to add slow growth moments, or other set backs (I had a bad cut at one time too where someone took sheers to my hair. And I had to take two years to even all of that out).

So you really have to factor in the unexpected. I'd say getting to mid back or waist is a great accomplishment. More if you have limited set backs or illness in that time.

I agree wholeheartedly with luckiestdestiny.

Slow growing would put you at 15 inches, and that is without setbacks, trims, or cuts.

You are making progress and in the end that is all that matters. It doesn't matter how long it takes to get to longer hair, as long as you get there. After all in the world outside of forums few ever ask how long you took to get long hair, they just admire it as you walk by.

As a side note BSL is actually particularly long hair. I know how LHCF can have you forgetting that :look:. Don't let hairnorexia get you too as it has gotten me :lol:.

spacetygrss

I agree wholeheartedly with @luckiestdestiny.

As a side note BSL is actually particularly long hair. I know how LHCF can have you forgetting that :look:. Don't let hairnorexia get you too as it has gotten me :lol:.

Best post of the year!

I talk about my APL hair like I'm bald-headed and my friends look at me like I've lost my mind. :lol: Healthy APL hair and longer gets noticed in the real world!

krissyhair

I think it took Terri LaFlesh 11 or so years to reach and maintain her natural hair at hip bone/tail bone length.

This hair journey is going to take a lonngggg time. I've been on mine since 2009 and I am only at APL. That's with a few major cuts and trims over the years, but you have to take those things into consideration too. No one can see the future.

RegaLady

I big chopped in 09 and just got to grazing mbl last year. Thats with cuts and trims. Its past five years ans I've cut my hair up to apl. So providing you dont do any major cuts I think one can get to wl in 5 years.

RegaLady

Best post of the year!

I talk about my APL hair like I'm bald-headed and my friends look at me like I've lost my mind. :lol: Healthy APL hair and longer gets noticed in the real world!

Exactly!
Im at apl and I get reactions on my hair whenever I wear it out. Thats what kept me from being overly obsessed with length. LHCF will have you spoiled, lol.

Maneylovee

This is not a trend....
Has anyone noticed that the longest period seems to be from APL to BSL/MBL but once youn reach those lengths it seems like your hair just kerps on growing? It seems like the hardest struggle is getting past APL.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
It depends on height, growth rate and retention. One of my coworkers has been natural for 6 years and she is full shoulder. She uses heat occassionally and she dyes her hair. I don't know her life or how often she trims, but her hair is gorgeous.

On the other hand I am a slow grower, but thanks to my low manipulation regimen I will make bsl in my 3rd year natural. I should be there by December. This is a journey. Some of us get to our destinations in a few years. Others may take longer or shorter. Also not everyone has length goals. Some ladies just want thick healthy hair

marta9227

Has anyone noticed that the longest period seems to be from APL to BSL/MBL but once youn reach those lengths it seems like your hair just kerps on growing? It seems like the hardest struggle is getting past APL.

Waist length to hip/tailbone is rough too.

Goombay_Summer

Waist length to hip/tailbone is rough too.

You’re preaching to the choir because I keep having setbacks and having to trim back to WSL I’ve seen the HL/TB promise land I just have problems laying claim to it.

I went from completely bald/shaved head to MBL in approximately five years.

Ogoma

It is going to depend on how often you trim your hair, if you cut your hair at all, if your hair breaks, how tall you are etc. I think between BSL and WL is a reasonable goal for most people.

June 23 was the third anniversary of my big chop, but it feels so much longer. It feels like I have been natural forever some times. It just feels so normal.

Last edited: