How long does your hair need to be...

ericajoy

...for braid or twist extensions? I cut my hair into a twa again, but I want to get some braids/twists in a bob style for spring. About how many inches of hair would I need in order to "anchor" the extensions?

Thanks ladies!!!

faithVA

A good braider can do as short as 1" to 1.5". At that length though I wore a wig, then at 2" went for comb coils and at 3" started getting braids and twists.

Its best to ask the person braiding because some can do short hair and some cannot.

ericajoy

Thanks! Mine is about 1-1.5 inches right now. Maybe I'll wait a few weeks than contact someone about braiding.

Any other experiences with braiding short hair?

Nonie

ericajoy, a lot of people when braiding with human hair love to leave the ends loose. (Invisible braids?) I advise against that if you have short hair because new human hair unravels so easily up to where your own hair is...so the more of it that's braided, the longer it takes to unravel so the anchor is better. I always braid to the ends, because I find the style last longer when I do...as does the extension hair.

Does that make sense?

Chameleonchick

I (meaning I put them in) have put extensions on my hair at 4 inches before. I have had a braider put in extensions in my hair at 2 inches before and I have never been able to do that on my own. She was a good 'hood braider and she had skills. It wasn't scalp tight (as I am tenderheaded), my hair did not come out and I rocked those braids for 2 months before I took them out.