How long does Henna take to rinse out?

jada1111

I want to darken my natural color with henna and want to know how long it will last?

Eventually, I will want to lighten my hair a brownish/reddish color which may require bleach to lift. If so, I read that the henna color "indigo" will turn the hair green. So I need to know how long it takes for it to rinse out.

TIA!

Last edited:

MsBoinglicious

Henna/Indigo is permanent (cut it out or grow it out). It never rinses out...although after many washes it may fade some it will always be there. Think of it as a tattoo on your hair!

If your a color freak and like to change it up often, then don’t do it! Just stick to commercial dyes. Those are easier to lift and change up. When you Henna/Indigo you are committing! Its a marriage lol

ETA: I have heard many horror stories of trying to lift Henna/Indigo...so yes it may change your hair green. When you go from black to blond using commercial dyes you can get that same green result as well, somtimes. I would research more into lifting Henna/Indigo. If it sounds to complicated or may cause a set back to lift it, I wouldn’t take the chance on doing it.

Last edited:

jada1111

Henna/Indigo is permanent (cut it out or grow it out). It never rinses out...although after many washes it may fade some it will always be there. Think of it as a tattoo on your hair!

If your a color freak and like to change it up often, then don’t do it! Just stick to commercial dyes. Those are easier to lift and change up. When you Henna/Indigo you are committing! Its a marriage lol

ETA: I have heard many horror stories of trying to lift Henna/Indigo...so yes it may change your hair green. When you go from black to blond using commercial dyes you can get that same green result as well, somtimes. I would research more into lifting Henna/Indigo. If it sounds to complicated or may cause a set back to lift it, I wouldn’t take the chance on doing it.

Thanks Boingboing, I am so happy I never hopped on the henna bandwagon with everyone else or else I'd have a major problem when trying to lighten my hair later.

I'll try the a good semi-permanent color brand. Will post a thread to see which ones are good.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Oh wow! I had no idea about this. Good info :yep: