How do you know the bible is accurate?

vevster

I'm reposting this from the 'which version' thread

When you use one version of the bible as opposed to another, how do you know if it is the most ACCURATE version? How do you know things haven't been left out or changed?

That is my concern... especially with those that take the bible literally...

pebbles

I own several different translations. Some words may be different, but the text still says the same thing. Here's an example:

Acts 2:40 says
NIV Translation:
"With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.”

The New American Standard Bible says:
"And with many other words he solemnly testified and kept on exhorting them, saying, "Be saved from this perverse generation!"

The King James Bibles says:
"And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation."

The best thing to do is first: pick up the translation you are most comfortable reading. Then, compare the text to other translations to see how they read. It's in the interpretation of text that some people differ, (though in large part, most interpret the text the same way), but the meaning of the text is the same. Hope that helps.

AnnDriena_

I also believe the bible is accurate because it has proven things for non-believing archeologist who looked to authenticate things like lineage when the bible already gave the answers their proof fround the bible to be right. For example their was one descripency where archeologist was calling an egyption king the father and another one the son. But when they found their tombs the one they thought was the father was buried closer to the entrance and the hyroglyphics on the wall told the story of the one historians thought was the father being the son. The egyptions didn't bury the first person next to the entrance and then carry the next body in back of the first one. That's like digging a grave and then going back and digging under a body to put the next one.

I haven't been keeping a running record but I will start. Because their have been several discoveries by secular world that continue to prove the bible historically acurate. The city of David is one such discovery that the scientific community said didn't exist for a long time but when they finally found it they had to shut their mouths.:lachen:

I also like the fact that the bible includes the mistakes and sins of Gods' greatest. David for example. It didn't portray them as perfect which would've been good to show Christians as. But a severally edited holy book would've surely made sure to take out the parts that didn't make God's people look so good.

And last but not least. Faith. I don't think God would put us on this earth with no instruction as for how he intended us to live and I believe the bible are those instructions and it has been proven historically accurate time and time again. Like the book of Daniel historians wanted to believe it was too accurate to be written before hand but when they found the scrolls the evidence was in their own scientific proof of the scrolls age.

stryed

Here is a wonderful resource to use. He is an apologist that has written books on the subject. He also has some debates available online for download.

www.aomin.org

Phoenix

I posted this on the other thread, but I will re-post it here too...

I know that some translations are considered more accurate than others. For instance (and I don't know if this is true) I've heard that the New King James isn't considered very accurate. But in my opinion, I think you have to read many different translations and compare them. Some minor things may vary from one translation to another, but the message should be the same. Comparing the different translations helps me get at the "core" of what the bible is saying.

I just finished reading The Purpose Driven Life and they recommend reading as many different translations as possible, which is what I'm trying to do.

mkstar826

supersonic
wow, why was my comment deleted?

btw all i said was you don't. and technically you really don't know if it's accurate. i never said that means you shouldn't believe or have faith. i didn't debate anything, so i'm sure i broke no forum rulse. basically i meant if interested, you should read as many translations as possible and study research about what historians think has been left out or changed. if that was offensive, i apologize...that was not my intent.

Last edited:

mkstar826

supersonic
pebbles - the poster asked "How do you know the bible is accurate?"

and earlier i answered with "you don't" and I also said something along the lines that we really don't know what's been added or taken away.

i came back just a minute ago and my post was gone. i guess i should have expounded so my answer didn't seem offensive or debating the validity of the Bible. that was not my intention at all.

pebbles

Oh, ok. Well, I'm not sure what happened, but I'll answer anyway. Vev was actually refering to the possible distortion of the text between so many of the Bible Translations, and I was showing her that despite the difference in choice of words, the meaning of the text remains the same.

I believe the bible to be accurate for several reasons:

First, It would be difficult for me to believe that anything has been added or removed because almost everything in the Old Testament can be reconfirmed in the New Testament, and almost everything in the New Testament can be referenced back to the Old Testament.

Secondly, because of that fact, I haven't seen anything in the bible that leaves you with the impression that something is missing or incomplete. In other words, you can find relevent passages that correspond to any particular text in other areas of the bible.

Lastly, if something vital were missing, Christianity would be in a state of chaos. The word is complete and gives us a sure map to our faith and how we are to live. Not only that, but there isn't a situation we confront that the bible can't minister to us about. It's all been covered. Whether it's marriage, death, murder, incest, rape, depression, drunkeness, sickness and disease, etc. The book is prophetically acurate for what it describes our times would be like and what the state of man would be.

When the bible says that there is nothing new under the sun, it's the truth.

Is it possible that text was added or removed? Perhaps. But personally, I don't believe that to be the case. :)

Honeyhips

Lovely
I hope this doesn't keep happening.
mkstar826 said:
pebbles - the poster asked "How do you know the bible is accurate?"

and earlier i answered with "you don't" and I also said something along the lines that we really don't know what's been added or taken away.

i came back just a minute ago and my post was gone. i guess i should have expounded so my answer didn't seem offensive or debating the validity of the Bible. that was not my intention at all.