How do you know its the right PRODUCT (future staple) ???

Missi

My protein conditioners "hands down" are easy to find to make STAPLES but for my other conditioners/shampoos i love: how do you pick them out: My Aubrey Organic conditioners and Creme of Nature (green) shampoo gives me great slip: (i guess slip means moisturizer) but anyways besides ur protein conditioners: is the amount of slip/moisture the only thing you need in deciding which con & poo becomes a staple. In all aspects: does the hair only need two kinds of conditioners (protein & moisture) ; shampoos (cleaner 'clarify' & slip/moisture)?????????????????????????????

gymfreak336

Well, I like to have atleast 2-3 products in each catagory that work well for me. For example, certain moisutrizing conditioner work well by themselves but when I use them after a protein treatment, they aren't that great. For that reason I keep a bottle of aubrey's moisturizing conditioner on hand in addition to the other ones I like. I separate my products in what I use 1-4 weeks post and what I use 4-8 weeks post. Most of my products I use 4-8 weeks post are designed to give me extra slip. When I test a product, I list what I like and what I didn't like. Then I see where it can fit into each set of products. Then I compare it to the others in the set and decide whether it is just as good or better or if it offers something that the other just don't. It has to exceed my others or offer something really special in order to have a spot in my bathroom. If is it just okay or just as good, I use it up and only restock it if my usual victims aren't avaible.

For example- I always keep some queen helene on hand because its the only conditioner that softens me up after a henna treatment.

tnorenberg

It just depends on what you want them to do, how you want your hair to feel or look and what your hair thinks. Thankfully our sisters and brothers here on LHCF give great product reviews so you can eliminate much of the trial and error of wasting money on products that don't deliver. Pick products which inerest you for slip, silkiness, moisture, protein, detangling, smoothness, strength, natural ingredients, etc. Ultimately your hair will tell you if it likes it or not. HTH:look:

The Girl

I also think consistency is key. It can be wonderful one time and horrible the next and I am through with it...

Divine Inspiration

Well, I think protein and moisture are necessary for any chemically/heat treated or colored hair. Some naturals need it; some don't. I think the number of staples (moisture, protein, clarifying, moisturizing, chelating, etc) depends on the person and how simple/complicated she wants her regimen to be.

So with that in mind, I have a clarifying poo, a moisturizing poo, a moistuizing con, a prepoo con, a light protein, and a heavy protein.

I agree with the poster who mentioned consistency. This is key for me. Few products get the "staple" title prior to being in the mix for at least 4 washes. Some products just aren't as consistent on my hair as others, and some appear to do a good job, but weeks later, the actual health of my hair is not improved. It has to be everything in one bottle: detangling, moisture, improving my hair's look and feel, and resulting in soft hair after it's dry.

Quick note: Slip does not equal moisture...slip is an indication of how well the products detangles and smooths the cuticle to improve the hair's combability (new word :lol:).

Missi

Divine Inspiration said:
Well, I think protein and moisture are necessary for any chemically/heat treated or colored hair. Some naturals need it; some don't. I think the number of staples (moisture, protein, clarifying, moisturizing, chelating, etc) depends on the person and how simple/complicated she wants her regimen to be.

So with that in mind, I have a clarifying poo, a moisturizing poo, a moistuizing con, a prepoo con, a light protein, and a heavy protein.

I agree with the poster who mentioned consistency. This is key for me. Few products get the "staple" title prior to being in the mix for at least 4 washes. Some products just aren't as consistent on my hair as others, and some appear to do a good job, but weeks later, the actual health of my hair is not improved. It has to be everything in one bottle: detangling, moisture, improving my hair's look and feel, and resulting in soft hair after it's dry.

Quick note: Slip does not equal moisture...slip is an indication of how well the products detangles and smooths the cuticle to improve the hair's combability (new word :lol:).

okay cool i understand now: that helps a lot: my aubrey organic conditioners do show consistency: my shampoos on the other hand: my CoN is detangling so I guess thats why it gives nice slip: thanks ladies: i understand 10000000 times better now;)

Missi

So far for my shampoos
  • Creme of Nature (green)
  • *Keracare Detangling
  • Pantene Clarifying
my extras I deciding on: Herbal Essence Hyrdant Poo & Garnier Poos

Now for my conditioners
  • Aubrey Organics (GPB, White Camille, Blue Camomille, Honey Suckle Rose)
  • Ultra Black Hair Deep Conditioner
  • *Keracare Conditioner
*I'm working on getting those as a staple

sareca

JustMeSteph said:
I also think consistency is key. It can be wonderful one time and horrible the next and I am through with it...

My "staples" work every single time without fail.

Missi

sareca said:
My "staples" work every single time without fail.

thats what I need and understand that what makes a Staple a "STAPLE". I just don't like puttin money into a product that doesn't that consistency or doesn't live up to its "Suppose to make ur hair soft" type products.