How do you keep water out of your hair products stored in jars?

mg1979

It’s a lot easier to keep water out of bottles and pump dispensers if you are applying to wet hair. But what about products that come in a jar where you have to stick your hand in it to get out product? For me, this is typically deep conditioners or styling products that come in jars. How do you keep water from getting in the jar if you are applying on wet hair and then dipping your hand back in? I’ve always wondered about this, but I just had a jar of KCCC go bad & I’m thinking this may be why. I’m guessing because its natural it may be more susceptible to this.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Regarding Handmades:

I always make sure my Hands are Clean and Dry before Dipping my Hand(s) in. And also that the Jar/Lids/Caps are tightly closed. And that it is stored in a cool place.

I'm always worried about this too, but have not had any go bad on me.

choctaw

I transfer some of the product to a small applicator bottle and store the original jar in a cool, dry place (e.g. deep conditioners, infused oils, honey, other products in large jars)

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I NEVER dip my hands in. I always use wood spatulas (aka tongue depressors). I bought a box of 500 for like $10.

mg1979

Wow separating it out seems like so much extra effort, but that may be the only way to keep water out.

mg1979

I NEVER dip my hands in. I always use wood spatulas (aka tongue depressors). I bought a box of 500 for like $10.

I may have to try these. Is this what the tongue depressors/wood spatulas you use look like? I like the idea of using this instead of dirtying a spoon everytime. Maybe these or plastics spoons would help & then I can just throw them away.

30something

I have that problem with lustrasilk shea butter. What I do is pour some product into the cap of the jar and used it from there. Tip the excess water out of the cap when done and close the jar.

Last edited:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I may have to try these. Is this what the tongue depressors/wood spatulas you use look like? I like the idea of using this instead of dirtying a spoon everytime. Maybe these or plastics spoons would help & then I can just throw them away.

Yep, that's exactly what I use. I dip it out, place in my hands and toss when done. I have such huge box, it will take forever to use them all.

empressri

with my qhemet or oyin stuff, i actually use the lid and scoop out product with a designated small plastic spatula and dish out what i need, using the lid as a bowl.

other stuff i just dry my hand on the towel and dig it. it'll be okay lol i dont worry

mg1979

Thanks, ladies. I will definitely be changing how I do this. You know how you have to apply Kinky Curly Curling Custard on sopping wet hair? Yeah....I would apply to sopping wet hair, and dip those wet hands right back in the jar! :badidea: A disaster waiting to happen! :spank: