How do you clean your hair steamer?

TheCoilWhisperer

Hello ladies!

What is the best way to clean a hair steamer? How often do you clean yours?
I have a LCL Beauty (Salons R Us) PRO-1037A.

Thanks!

Onhergrind09

Good question, I'd like to know as well. I've never done anything to clean my steamer internally and I have the same one and just recently started using distilled water as opposed to tap water because the instructions say that any water can be used. :huh:

GIJane

I put diluted vinegar in the steamer and then cut it on.. I clean mine just like I would clean the inside of your coffee maker.

Nichelle_jb

I put diluted vinegar in the steamer and then cut it on.. I clean mine just like I would clean the inside of your coffee maker.

That's exactly how I clean mine. I do it about once a month. 2 parts water to 1 part vinegar. Afterwards, I run another cycle of water only to get the vinegar smell out.

Nichelle_jb

Coffee

I use white vinegar to clean mine. Even though some steamers say to use any water, I wouldn't use tap water. It will clog up your steamer.

beana

Thanks for posting this, it never occurred to me that I needed to perform cleaning maintenance on my steamer.

Poopiedo

I've never cleaned mine. I've never used tap water only distilled. How do you know when it's time to clean it? What triggers you to do it?

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I just started cleaning mine last month.

I purchased my steamer back in November 2009, and this was the first time doing it. I spoke to the ppl at LCL and they also recommend cleaning once a month or every couple of months w/ the vinegar water mix. To prevent buildup from product residue that can damage your steamer and to (don't quote me on the second part) clean any possible internal rusting.?.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I also use vinegar in water and run the steamer.

Poopiedo I didn't notice anything strange; I had my steamer for six months and thought I should try to clean it just in case. That was three months ago now, so I will clean it again this month.

mg1979

I don't have a steamer yet, but hope to get one soon. I'm surprised to see that they say you can use any water. The hard water here shortens the life span of products. I've known many people to end up with Keurigs that die within a year because they used tap water. When I get a steamer, I want it to last.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

TheCoilWhisperer

First off, thanks all for responding.

Secondly, I suck. I forgot that I started this thread and came BACK to LHCF to search for an answer to the SAME topic... How lame is that? LOL It's been a crazy couple of weeks.

Thanks for all the answers. Will be cleaning it tonight.

I don't know if the type of conditioner I use (Oyin's Hemp Seed) but the water in my dome looks slimy as if the product recycled inside.

BlaqBella

I went about it the same way as Coffee did. I had the tap water steamer, but only used the distilled water. I had it from Oct. 2010 and it died this year. I cleaned it every month or every other month, but I used it almost religiously every wkend for an hour or more. I just got the distilled water only steamer and plan to do the same, well maybe with less use of it, but idk. Steaming has done amazing things for my hair.

SimJam

TheCoilWhisperer yes the product will sometimes get "recycled" in the water. Thats why you should empty the dome after each use. I usually do that, but have never cleaned mine with vinegar

now I gotta do that this weekend.... or maybe tonight

winona

Does anyone have the PIBBS? How do you know all the vinegar water mix is out of it? I have only used distilled water.

TheCoilWhisperer

I've tried that but the water from inside the dome out and into the steamer as I pull it out of it's slot/pouch. Maybe I'm not moving fast enough, idk.

TheCoilWhisperer yes the product will sometimes get "recycled" in the water. Thats why you should empty the dome after each use. I usually do that, but have never cleaned mine with vinegar

TheCoilWhisperer

Um, so yeah, I wasn't moving quickly enough... Cause I just pulled it out with the quickness and had no problems... Well, that problem solved. LOL

Thanks ladies!