How do I find a good hairdresser?

bellydancer

I haven't been to the hairdresser in YEARS! I've taken care of my natural hair myself and it's grown very nicely, but now I'm tired of the same old 'do. I want some color. I want to go to the hairdresser and get it done, but I don't know who to go to. The only person with hair I really like is my sister and her hairdresser can't style natural hair. I like my old hairdresser, but she is old school and can't really do the latest styles of weave. The weaves she put in my hair in the past were kinda bulky. My friends hairdresser does a great job, but for some reason I jus feel uncomfortable there like she just doesn't care how my hair turns out. or should I go to a color specializing salon (mostly white people) and take a chance and have them do my hair? I never thought I'd go to the hairdresser again, but I really want my hair dyed. i live in the Cincinnati, Ohio area if anyone knows someone.
Thanks
bellydancer

Last edited:

bellydancer

ps. this is a MAJOR color change. My hair is almost black and I want it a light reddish brown, with blonde highlights and a little weave for thickness and length.

locabouthair

i can't suggest anyone but I looked at your album and I just wanted to say that your hair is really thick and beautiful. :)

scoobygirl

You might want to try a salon that is part of a larger chain such as JCPenney, Cost Cutters, Hair Cuttery, etc. Most of these places offer free consultations and the stylist are usually forced to keep up with their training. Also the bigger companies don't want to risk lawsuits so they tend to err on the side of caution.

lovelymissyoli

Take my advice, let a professional do your color, you won’t regret it! I would suggest going to a white salon --- something like REGIS Salons. They specialize in color! Also, I can tell you that a close friend of mine has natural hair and she goes regularly to the one near me. Her color is gorgeous (a 3-tone type look) and she was able to go blonde with no breakage seeing as though she has coal miners black hair --- the kind that doesn’t take to any other color.

I went in for a consultation a few months ago but was told that I would need to grow out my color before I could get the color job I wanted. However, I went to another REGIS salon and the stylist told me that he was able to weave the highlights in for me, but would have to go through a certain process to do it since I already had my hair colored. Anyways, I said all that to say that the grand total for my hair coloring would be $125, however, my friend who goes there on the regular gets hers done for $75 (first time rate) which is pretty reasonable, and not to mention the stylist threw in a flat iron for free!

Also, make sure you request a stylist who specializes in A.A. hair! Both stylists who gave me a consulation were black, and their work on other clients looked great. There also was this one Asian lady who was getting down on this other black girl's hair, so specify your hair type and you should be okay, I know for sure that they don't discriminate based on your hair type! HTH.

bellydancer

thanks ladies... I cancelled my appointment with this hairdresser that had her own shop. I'm going to this Salon/Day Spa at the mall in Lazarus. A few people here recommended it. It's so hard for me to trust hairdressers. I've had my hair messed up too much.

Regis sounds like a good salon. i may run by them and ask for a consultation. I never thought to go there.

Thanks locabouthair!!!