How about getting a barbie styling head inplace of a real mannequin?

fluffylocks

Im all embarrased for asking this :ohwell: But i want to learn in the near future how to do some more weaving styles.....

Im a broke student & crap, got $80 left to waste on hair stuff untill next time i gets paid (my money is all sorted into sections :spinning:)

Am anticipating ordering a braids by breslin dvd for $56 dollars....will have $24 left over.....and i saw one of those barbie styling heads for $10 :look: :ohwell:

You think it will be okay?

Should i wait & order an ethnic mannequin off line , or will this be okay & about the same as the $50 non-ethnic ones at sallys?

lboogie2679

I bought one for my daughter so she could learn to do braids and the hair is a mess. It's all tangly and its hard to get it loose. I even tried to wet it and that still didn't work.

Nita81

I agree with lboogie2679....that barbie hair is a mess. My daughter has one too. I would get the professional head instead.

Lovelylocs

Plus Barbie's head is smaller than the mannequin's head. Maybe they have some deals on the net. I'll help u look.

Lovelylocs

On metrobeauty.com, they have some heads for about 30 dollars. Maybe u should wait until ur next pay check and get one of those. :) HTH I'm glad u are learning to do ur own hair. Too many of us (blacks) spend way too much at the salon and they aren't even gentle enough w/our hair. Plus, if u do it urself everyone doesn't have to know all of ur secrets. ;)

I can do a really good rollerset and my mom does my retouches w/o damaging my hair. I lose A LOT less hair when I rollerset myself. Only a few strand come out and that is b/c I use the right products for my hair and I am gentle. :yep: The next time I go to a salon it will probably be for a nice trim/style. After I reach midback length.

fluffylocks

On metrobeauty.com, they have some heads for about 30 dollars. Maybe u should wait until ur next pay check and get one of those. :) HTH I'm glad u are learning to do ur own hair. Too many of us (blacks) spend way too much at the salon and they aren't even gentle enough w/our hair. Plus, if u do it urself everyone doesn't have to know all of ur secrets. ;)

I can do a really good rollerset and my mom does my retouches w/o damaging my hair. I lose A LOT less hair when I rollerset myself. Only a few strand come out and that is b/c I use the right products for my hair and I am gentle. :yep: The next time I go to a salon it will probably be for a nice trim/style. After I reach midback length.

Thats exactly what i was thinking & what i plan to do! (i was actually looking for some way to learn to trim/style:lachen:--but i guess i'll leave something for the profesionals)

Thank you also (and everyone else) for helping.

I got a real mannequin since the density would be about the same as mine & it would be human hair (so i can perfect them rollersets) & since boogie, nita & destiny said it was a mess ----it was like $40 w/the stand added (figured it would be about the same as online).
I'm glad i did, it will def. be better than wasting $10 on crap.

I wish i would have waited & saw Jaikue's post about EBAY but oh well:lachen:

apollo

deleted...
Im all embarrased for asking this :ohwell: But i want to learn in the near future how to do some more weaving styles.....

Im a broke student & crap, got $80 left to waste on hair stuff untill next time i gets paid (my money is all sorted into sections :spinning:)

Am anticipating ordering a braids by breslin dvd for $56 dollars....will have $24 left over.....and i saw one of those barbie styling heads for $10 :look: :ohwell:

You think it will be okay?

Should i wait & order an ethnic mannequin off line , or will this be okay & about the same as the $50 non-ethnic ones at sallys?

Last edited:

blackbarbie

Girl don't laugh b/c I was thinking about this over the weekend.
I wanted to buy one so I could take it to te salon and tell them to cut long layers so I could see how they would cut my hair if I decided to get it done. Would much rather see it on the mannequin (if it turns out to be a cut gone wrong) than on my own head.....

BB

strenght81

I think you should get a manequin,. I brought one during the spring and now I know hot to roller set, bantu, pincurl, blowdry and other. I now do my sisters hair and it comes out fabulous, I also finally did my own roller set today and it only took me 30 mins. I practiced on my manequin for months and now I feel I can really do hair. I won't attempt a relaxer though, I"ll leave that to the pros with a liscence. You can check out my fotki under insperation for photos of my manequin.

ETA: I paid $20 for my manequin at my local BSS, human hair.