Horsetail/Biotin users...

rootdeep

Has any besides KiniKakes and I experienced dry skin from this combo? I'm not talking your normal run of the mill change of seasons dry skin ...I'm talking about you can light a match off of it DRY! I have always had oily skin but now ...whew...you can SPELL dry on my face. I have an appointment with my dermatoligist coming up and I'm prepared to tell him what I've been taking and I am willing to stop but I need help, I'm addicted to my horsetail! Why? Look at my before and after pic in my siggie. Heck YOU WOULD BE ADDICTED TO!

I was talking to Kini and I'm going to have to buckle down and stick to my trust haircare routine minus all of the supplements. My skin LAUGHED back at me this morning when I put on my shea butter...:mad: ...its like it said...PLEASE...do you really think thats gonna work? I wanted to cry. I had to oil up AGAIN before heading out the door.

Any other ladies experiencing dryness? Please share? Are you willing to give the supplements a rest?

rootdeep said:
Has any besides KiniKakes and I experienced dry skin from this combo? I'm not talking your normal run of the mill change of seasons dry skin ...I'm talking about you can light a match off of it DRY! I have always had oily skin but now ...whew...you can SPELL dry on my face. I have an appointment with my dermatoligist coming up and I'm prepared to tell him what I've been taking and I am willing to stop but I need help, I'm addicted to my horsetail! Why? Look at my before and after pic in my siggie. Heck YOU WOULD BE ADDICTED TO!

I was talking to Kini and I'm going to have to buckle down and stick to my trust haircare routine minus all of the supplements. My skin LAUGHED back at me this morning when I put on my shea butter...:mad: ...its like it said...PLEASE...do you really think thats gonna work? I wanted to cry. I had to oil up AGAIN before heading out the door.

Umm...I am not an expert nor do I claim to be with that being said...I take 5mcg of biotin, 2 nioxin vitamins, 2 evening primrose oil, and 1 b50 vitamins and I am currently thinking about joining the solaray bamboo challenge...all I have to do is click submit on their website:look: anyway I say this to say maybe you should add some flaxseed oil or primrose evening oil to your regimen and that should help with your skin or either vitamin E....I'm just stating my opinion and if my opinion or suggestion doesn't work then maybe another alternative would be good for you. I had kinda dry skin but now my skin feels soft but that's my results...JMO:)

I didn't experience any dryness from the horsetail but my skin has always been extra dry anyway. Have you tried increasing your water intake? Maybe that will help? :confused:

^^^ Ok Bmoreflyy!! I see you!!!:eyebrows2

I take Horsetail and Biotin, and while I haven't noticed the skin dryness that much because I'm mostly covered up cos of the cold, I've noticed something else kind of similar. It's gross so I can't put it out here, but I'll just say it involves a number 2 and feeling constipated. That should be enough :look:

I think we do need to drink more water with this herb. It says so on my supplement bottle.

Okay before I can reply...YOUR SIGGIE IS GORGEOUS!!

Now that I got that out...I drink water like a FISH...all day. Matter of fact I go to bed with a large bottle of Fiji EVERY night. LOL!! I GULP it down with all of my vitamins every night.

I'm going to do a little bit of research and see whats going on.

bmoreflyygirl said:
I didn't experience any dryness from the horsetail but my skin has always been extra dry anyway. Have you tried increasing your water intake? Maybe that will help? :confused:

Umm...I am not an expert nor do I claim to be with that being said...I take 5mcg of biotin, 2 nioxin vitamins, 2 evening primrose oil, and 1 b50 vitamins and I am currently thinking about joining the solaray bamboo challenge...all I have to do is click submit on their website:look: anyway I say this to say maybe you should add some flaxseed oil or primrose evening oil to your regimen and that should help with your skin or either vitamin E....I'm just stating my opinion and if my opinion or suggestion doesn't work then maybe another alternative would be good for you. I had kinda dry skin but now my skin feels soft but that's my results...JMO:)

Hmm.....I started then stopped on the flaxseed. Maybe I'll give it another go...THANKS :)

isioma85 said:
^^^ Ok Bmoreflyy!! I see you!!!:eyebrows2

I take Horsetail and Biotin, and while I haven't noticed the skin dryness that much because I'm mostly covered up cos of the cold, I've noticed something else kind of similar. It's gross so I can't put it out here, but I'll just say it involves a number 2 and feeling constipated. That should be enough :look:

I think we do need to drink more water with this herb. It says so on my supplement bottle.

The human body is AMAZING I tell you. I havent had any problem in that department. :eek: Its just my skin.....I may have to take the Biotin with 32 ounces of water alone so it can properly flush through my body after dinner, then take the Horsetail as usual with 32 more ounces of water before bed.

Hmm....

Thanks ladies!! :kiss: Really isioma85? I experienced the opposite. The vits made me more regular. :look: A little too regular for my liking actually.

rootdeep said:
Hmm.....I started then stopped on the flaxseed. Maybe I'll give it another go...THANKS :)

You're very welcome rootdeep:) but water will definitely help...I need to drink it myself...I don't drink enough...:)

I have oily skin too but sometimes I have dry spells. When I do, I use A+D ointment (yep, the stuff they give you at the tattoo parlor).

OMG YES!!!!! Kinikakes and I already had this conversation. My skin is so dry that it itches. It feels tight. And no amount of lotion will cure it. I am about to make a dermotologist amount myself.

Flaxseed does NOT help at all. Ive been taking Flaxseed for the past year, and it really did help to moisturize my hair/skin. But when i started that combo of Biotin/Horsetail last month, my skin REALLY changed!

Guys, Im talking dry/scaly/flaky skin on my neck, back, arms, stomach, breasts. Yeah, its gross! :perplexed My skin feels itchy and tight. I would put lotion on (good quality stuff) and it would just drink it up. Ive now started moisturizing several times a day with olive oil and shea butter. Its definitely soothing......... but hasnt cured the problem. At this point its beyond simple "dry skin." I think i am having like an allergic reaction or something.

Needless to say, i went to the dermatologist. He was very concerned, and wasnt able to diagnose it right then and there. He did say that it was not eczema or anything like that. He asked if i was taking any new medications. I admitted to taking my vitamins, and he fussed me out real good! He told me that i dont need all that, why am i taking all those supplmenets, and so on and so forth. :ohwell: Anyway, he forbade me to take them anymore (lol), and he sent me to get some bloodwork and also wants me to come back Thursday for a skin biopsy. No, he didnt say it looked "cancerous" or anything of the like, but he said that a biopsy will be able to reveal other information that just an outward examination cant.

Anyway, the Biotin/Horsetail is the only thing new i incorporated into my regimen. *shrug* I either overdid it, or im just allergic to the stuff. I also think the MTG/sulfur may have played a role. The way my body is looking.... is the way my neck used to look/feel when i first started using MTG and was over-doing it and allowing it to drip down my neck. Either way.......... i put ALL that on hold. Yeah, my hair has been growing GREAT and thickening up nicely........... but whats the good of having gorgeous, waist length hair when your skin is looking/feeling like an alligator! :look: So Im putting all that aside while we investigate this further.

Im glad most of you have NOT experienced this. Its no fun! :(

Either way........ right now Im relying on good old fashioned healthy hair care to keep growing. That means im continuing to wash/DC once a week, co-wash once per week, moisturize, protect my hair, and eat a balanced diet. I know many women on here are able to get great growth that way, so while i figure out this skin issue, im doing things au naturel! Wish me luck! :)

Have you ladies tried Cod Liver Oil?

I tried Flax oil and it did nothing for me but Cod Liver Oil is making my skin smooth and a bit oily (which is a benefit this time of year). I'm hoping my scalp is getting this oil b/c I read Cod Liver Oil was good for the Hair, Skin and Nail due to the vitamins A & D found in it.

HTH
MonaRae

Hi Kini!

Hmmmmm. I just started the horsetail so I'm afraid I don't really have anything to add about that. I haven't had any dry skin or acne related to the Biotin either but then I only take 1000mcg....

Sounds like you're doing the right thing by taking a break until doc says everything is a-ok.

(and I'm going to be a good girl and not say what I really want to say about those horsetail "results"):p

KiniKakes said:
Flaxseed does NOT help at all. Ive been taking Flaxseed for the past year, and it really did help to moisturize my hair/skin. But when i started that combo of Biotin/Horsetail last month, my skin REALLY changed!

Guys, Im talking dry/scaly/flaky skin on my neck, back, arms, stomach, breasts. Yeah, its gross! :perplexed My skin feels itchy and tight. I would put lotion on (good quality stuff) and it would just drink it up. Ive now started moisturizing several times a day with olive oil and shea butter. Its definitely soothing......... but hasnt cured the problem. At this point its beyond simple "dry skin." I think i am having like an allergic reaction or something.

Needless to say, i went to the dermatologist. He was very concerned, and wasnt able to diagnose it right then and there. He did say that it was not eczema or anything like that. He asked if i was taking any new medications. I admitted to taking my vitamins, and he fussed me out real good! He told me that i dont need all that, why am i taking all those supplmenets, and so on and so forth. :ohwell: Anyway, he forbade me to take them anymore (lol), and he sent me to get some bloodwork and also wants me to come back Thursday for a skin biopsy. No, he didnt say it looked "cancerous" or anything of the like, but he said that a biopsy will be able to reveal other information that just an outward examination cant.

Anyway, the Biotin/Horsetail is the only thing new i incorporated into my regimen. *shrug* I either overdid it, or im just allergic to the stuff. I also think the MTG/sulfur may have played a role. The way my body is looking.... is the way my neck used to look/feel when i first started using MTG and was over-doing it and allowing it to drip down my neck. Either way.......... i put ALL that on hold. Yeah, my hair has been growing GREAT and thickening up nicely........... but whats the good of having gorgeous, waist length hair when your skin is looking/feeling like an alligator! :look: So Im putting all that aside while we investigate this further.

Im glad most of you have NOT experienced this. Its no fun! :(

Either way........ right now Im relying on good old fashioned healthy hair care to keep growing. That means im continuing to wash/DC once a week, co-wash once per week, moisturize, protect my hair, and eat a balanced diet. I know many women on here are able to get great growth that way, so while i figure out this skin issue, im doing things au naturel! Wish me luck! :)

MonaRae said:
Have you ladies tried Cod Liver Oil?

I tried Flax oil and it did nothing for me but Cod Liver Oil is making my skin smooth and a bit oily (which is a benefit this time of year). I'm hoping my scalp is getting this oil b/c I read Cod Liver Oil was good for the Hair, Skin and Nail due to the vitamins A & D found in it.

HTH
MonaRae

Cool! I'll try that once i meet with the doc again and he offically "diagnoses" this condition. I know that once he gives me some internal or external medicine to take, i'll still have to nurse my skin back to its original health. So i'll definitely check out that Cod Liver Oil. Thanks girl.

KiniKakes said:
Cool! I'll try that once i meet with the doc again and he offically "diagnoses" this condition. I know that once he gives me some internal or external medicine to take, i'll still have to nurse my skin back to its original health. So i'll definitely check out that Cod Liver Oil. Thanks girl.

Good luck, you're doing it right.

KiniKakes said:

You’re Welcome! Another benefit of CLO is it suppresses the appetite! I really like that one!

MonaRae

I am so proud of myself ladies! Last night I only took my Women's Vitamins and a Biotin. For me its either or I am no longer going to take them together. My skin and my body will thank me for it in the future! :)

Only one! LOL...This started when I up'd my Biotin dosage to 5mg versus 2 so I'm going to do some trial and error and see what happens

MISSYMA said:
how many horsetail and biotin tablets were you taking you may just need to cut back on some

rootdeep said:
Only one! LOL...This started when I up'd my Biotin dosage to 5mg versus 2 so I'm going to do some trial and error and see what happens

Well lets not even start talking about my dosage! You know i was outta control with mines! :lol: *sigh* My hair thanked me for it.......... but my skin didnt!

Im finding it best to just "detox" completely from everything! Then, once my skin returns to its original state, i'll very slowly began to introduce a few supplements back into my regimen. Nice and easy is the name of the game. :cool:

Back