Henna...How often? Post Your Reggie Here!

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Hey Ayurvedic Ladies!!!

:newbie: I'm a newbie to the henna, indian herbs routine and I'd like to know how often can henna be applied? I'm transitioning and would really like to use henna for conditioning and thickening purposes.

I would really like as many responses as possible....Post your routines, please!

Thanks!

I apply hennas every month or every other month.

I used to do a 50/50 mix of henna and indigo for a darker brown, but now I prefer using henna and tea for more of a reddish brown color:
  • 100 grams Jamila henna mixed with strong brewed tea for a thick yogurt consistency
  • vatika or coconut oil (few squirts)
  • cheapie conditioner (few squirts)
  • apply to wet/dry hair (makes no difference to me)
  • leave on for about an hour with heat (more than an hour without heat)
  • conditioner wash with V05 Vanilla Mint Clarifying Conditioner (or another moisturizing conditioner) at least 2x, leaving the last one in longer before rinsing

I do mine about once every 3-4 months ( I alternate between henna and protein treatments). The recipe is in my fotki. no password needed.

Heh.

I've done more things with my henna reggie than a little bit.

I started out once a week, and my hair started breaking off at the root from having a bit too much of a 'protein-like' substance on it. :nono:

I then shifted to once a month, and did that for - a while, maybe a year?

Then, I switched up my reggie, and added an actual protein treatment, and shifted it to every 8 weeks.

Right now, because I'm using Mega-Tek, I henna VERY infrequently - my hair is protein sensitive, and I know that henna can push it over the edge. I've only used it once since I started using MT, and - I don't really have a set schedule in mind right now. I'm tempted to give myself another one in the next month or so, just to see how my hair reacts to it (and I wanna try adding salt :lol:)

My normal mix is 1/4 cup henna, 1/4 cup hot water, and 1/2 cup cheapie conditioner - and that makes enough to coat my whole head throughly. The conditioner makes it much easier to wash out, and practically eliminates the potential drying effects of henna, but I still DC right after a treatment.

Urm..... I think that's about it. Let me know if you have any questions. :yep:

ETA: Ah! I get my henna from FromNatureWithLove.com

i use jamila henna, about once every two months. i do this more for color reasons, and not for strengthening ones.

my mix:
1 pkg henna
1/4 cup lemon juice OR apple cider vinegar (though, i swear folk around here are afraid of these items, so nix them if you want:grin: :rolleyes:)
1 tablespoon turmeric

add water, let color release for 12 hours, apply, then leave mix on for 12 hours.

then rinse out with any cheapie conditioner (i use trader joe's nourish spa conditioner, OR suave humectant)

result = happy, strong red hair! :yep:

(then i use clairol luminize to lighten my natural hair, so the red color really shows off).

Awesome Ladies! :weird: This is what I hoped for...so it seems like weekly henna would be overkill....would just applying indian rinses on a weekly basis thicken my hair strands???....Man do I appreciate you guys! :kiss: I was about to pull out the henna on Monday...Whew:cry:I know I woulda been crying a bucket of tears from protein overload...i'm working on moisture, you know?

Who's experienced thickening with Henna rinses and/or pastes? Can this be done twice a week?

TIA

No matter what answers people give here, for you it'll be different. Natural products, like w/ chemical ones, are dependent on that person's body chemistry and no two results will be the same. You must understand that before using this stuff. You have to keep in mind your body chemistry and the condition of your hair as is...that'll have far more to do w/ it than what works for others.

My advice is to keep things as simple as possible when using this stuff. Personally, I think many people on various boards do way too much to henna, adding stuff they don't need and making the process overly complicated. Use as needed BUT no more often. Depending on how fast your hair grows and if you're seeking color (you didn't say if color was your goal), you might do better w/ cassia or Zizyphus as opposed to henna. Henna leaves color....ALWAYS. It can be used as often as you want, in theory, but how your hair/skin reacts, the time involved, and the costs will have alot to do w/ things too.

Henna is NOT a protein, BTW....and I don't think acid is necessary in henning for hair (tho certainly not bad for body art). On African hair types in particular, I think acid's more harm than good. You can easily get their alleged benefits w/ time.

When you say "henna paste" what do you mean? If you mean that stuff that sold prepackaged, DO NOT use it on your hair. It's formulated for body art and has certain oils and acids that'll be terrible for hair.

Last edited:
No matter what answers people give here, for you it'll be different. Natural products, like w/ chemical ones, are dependent on that person's body chemistry and no two results will be the same. You must understand that before using this stuff. You have to keep in mind your body chemistry and the condition of your hair as is...that'll have far more to do w/ it than what works for others.

My advice is to keep things as simple as possible when using this stuff. Personally, I think many people on various boards do way too much to henna, adding stuff they don't need and making the process overly complicated. Use as needed BUT no more often. Depending on how fast your hair grows and if you're seeking color (you didn't say if color was your goal), you might do better w/ cassia or Zizyphus as opposed to henna. Henna leaves color....ALWAYS. It can be used as often as you want, in theory, but how your hair/skin reacts, the time involved, and the costs will have alot to do w/ things too.

Henna is NOT a protein, BTW....and I don't think acid is necessary in henning for hair (tho certainly not bad for body art). On African hair types in particular, I think acid's more harm than good. You can easily get their alleged benefits w/ time.

When you say "henna paste" what do you mean? If you mean that stuff that sold prepackaged, DO NOT use it on your hair. It's formulated for body art and has certain oils and acids that'll be terrible for hair.

Thanks, J...
color is not my goal, i've read that it thickens hair and strengthens it as well, and that is really what i'm seeking...it seems that Cassia is not as common in my local indian grocers...I'll do a thorough search.

Henna paste, meaning just a thick consistency instead of a rinse. Not prepackaged...

Thanks for everything, ladies...I do like the KISS method, to be honest...never heard of Z~phus...do tell! What's this and what's the benefit???? :spinning: You got me started, now!

any other thoughts???

I have henna'd my hair every since I went natural...so about 4 years now.

It has made my hair stronger and healthier and the color to me is just an added bonus. The color of my hair is like milk chocolate or some dark burgundy. And the gray hair is like irish setter red. (I have a few sparse gray hairs here and there).

I try to henna every 2 months, especially when the gray roots grow and start to show in the front.

I purchase art quality henna from Catherine Cartwright (hennaforhair.com) and absolutely love it.

For my mix, I get a tub of full fat dannon yogurt, apple cider vinegar, castor oil, coconut or olive oil - depending upon what I have on hand, and coconut milk.

There really is no exact science to the mixture, I don't measure. I will say I use the entire tub of yogurt. I let the mixture sit for about 4 or 5 hours, slather it on my freshly washed hair, wrap it up tight with plastic wrap/caps and go to sleep.

The next morning, I rinse, rinse, rinse, shampoo and deep condition with AO White Camellia Cond.

100 g of henna powder

add vinegar & mix until the consistency of pudding

let sit all day/overnite

pop in microwave for 40 secs

apply & let set for 2 hrs w/plastic cap

rinse thoroughly & condition for 30 min

rinse & style

I order my henna from ebay
I use henna for color (grays)

Wonderful. How often? Monthly, every other month....??

100 g of henna powder

add vinegar & mix until the consistency of pudding

let sit all day/overnite

pop in microwave for 40 secs

apply & let set for 2 hrs w/plastic cap

rinse thoroughly & condition for 30 min

rinse & style

I order my henna from ebay
I use henna for color (grays)

100 g henna mixed with hot water. Add about 2/3 cup cheapie conditioner. Let color release 5-6 hours. Add oil if desired (preferably light like virgin coconut/sesame). Apply. Leave on 3+ hours with heat cap. Wash out 3-4 times with lots of cheapie conditioner (V05). Apply conditioner mixed with light oil while still in shower, cover with plastic cap for 5 minutes, rinse in cool water. Finished!

Monthly-

but the grays are tryin to resist & take over!!!!:whyme:

I'm fightin every step of the way!!! :swordfigh

That is funny, AKA-Tude, because MT had greys sprouting all over my head, "Like, Wooh~" I had to pull out that BLack Rose Mehandi - i later found it has chemicals (extremely low ratio) in it, but it did an awe-some job! I'm still good to go, and it's been a month already....my husband even commented on it and that meant i had to do something.....

i just picked up Light Mountain Black Henna from Whole Foods (it is only Indigo and Henna, nothing else), I can't wait....:eyebrows2 to get at 'em!

Thanks, J...
color is not my goal, i've read that it thickens hair and strengthens it as well, and that is really what i'm seeking...it seems that Cassia is not as common in my local indian grocers...I'll do a thorough search.

Henna paste, meaning just a thick consistency instead of a rinse. Not prepackaged...

Thanks for everything, ladies...I do like the KISS method, to be honest...never heard of Z~phus...do tell! What's this and what's the benefit???? :spinning: You got me started, now!

any other thoughts???

Zizyphus...is an herb from North Africa which was actually used for "washing" hair by the people in the desert (along the lines of aritha/soapwort in India). It's been shown to have very nice conditioning properties like henna or cassia, but w/o the color issue.

www.hennaforhair.com has it and sells it both as a powder and in a shampoo bar. I think you should consider cassia because it'll give you what you want w/o the color issue. It's pretty cheap to get online and you can get it as "neutral/clear henna" in some stores. Maybe your local Indian store sells it that way?

Back