Help with DS's hair. What kind of hair does he have?

FrazzledFraggle

I've have always kept my son's hair faded. Recently, he has expressed a desire to grow his hair out. He's 10. He says he wants his hair to be "bigger" and I'm happy to oblige but I have no clue what I'm doing and DH is obviously no help.

DS has my ex DH's hair curl pattern (even down to the cow lick/hurricanes at the exact same spot on the front of their hair line) and I don't really know what to do to keep it moisturized and healthy and shiny. I am relaxed now but even before I was relaxed (I used to be natural) my hair was curled tightly but not curled as tightly as his is. It seems like just about the time I get the curls all untangled from each other and uniform they spring right back into their tight coils giving the illusion that he has bald spots but he doesn't. His curls just all like to hang out in tightly knit groups it seems like. :lol:

I asked ex DH what he puts in his hair and he said some ole pink oil moisturizer and I was like no way. ex DH lives overseas so he's no help with day to day stuff like that. :nono:

I tried to take pics of DS's hair curl pattern so you can help me identify what his curl patter is. I have never really gotten into the curl pattern labels although I've seen people talk about them on this board so I don't really know what they mean.

Anyway, here are some pics of DS's hair. He does need a shape up/edge up because we just back from a cruise and it's been almost two weeks since the last bb shop visit.

Any suggestions for products? Do I deep condition? Does he need leave in conditioner? Can we help me come up with a hair care plan. I think DS is in this for the long haul. :lol: This is 4 weeks worth of growth from his last bald fade.

Last edited:

Theresamonet

His hair is 4b.

Probably just washing regularly and oiling would be good enough for him. Maybe some S- Curl.

SUPER SWEET

I would say a pre-poo of coconut oil, Knot today hair care line for shampoo,conditioner and styling products.

ChocolatePie777

I would say just teach him to wash condition comb out and oil...thats it

Eta: oh yeah i vote 4b as well

I agree a good pick would be sufficent to detangle

Last edited:

BostonMaria

You have a 10 year old son? I thought you were like 20 LOL you look very young

He's 4B and if I were you I'd buy him an Afro pick and let him wear it out. He should be low maintenance - cowash every day with Suave conditioner, a non sulfate shampoo, coconut oil to keep it soft. If he wants to curl it I'd use a black Ecostyler gel.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

FrazzledFraggle

You have a 10 year old son? I thought you were like 20 LOL you look very young

He's 4B and if I were you I'd buy him an Afro pick and let him wear it out. He should be low maintenance - cowash every day with Suave conditioner, a non sulfate shampoo, coconut oil to keep it soft. If he wants to curl it I'd use a black Ecostyler gel.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Well thank you dear. I try to look young but I'm afar off from 20's. :lol:

Thanks, I'll try a few of these things and see what works best for him. A pick will help detangle?