HELP:STRETCHING RELAXERS WITH SHORT HAIR

ronakajones

I am currently trying to stretch my relaxer. I am 6 weeks post and have short hair, just past my ears. I just took out some microbraids and wanted to wear my hair out so I washed and deep conditioned and attemped to do a rollerset. But the end result was a poofy afro. My new growth is out of control. I even tried to blow out my roots and saran wrap. Am I the only short haired girl with this problem. I was also considening texlaxing, but I am in fear that I would never be able to do anything with my hair. I certainly could use some suggestions. My hair is cut in a bob, so the back is too short for a ponytail or bun. Please help.

Could you try flatironing your roots?

Use a nice leave-in that is not TOO moist and some straightening serum (not all are good for straightening IMO) on you wet hair. After it is dry flat-iron , only the NG if you prefer. I have used leave-ins that left my hair too moist and it was pointless - My NG kinked back up within the hour. :nono:

Then you can maintain it by wrapping it down tightly ( not too tight) at night.

Make you don't stretch to the point where you get tangles and knots, though. Tried it and learned the hard way. :perplexed It is just not worth it in my opinion.

I think shorter lengths can't always be stretched as long.

I have been trying to avoid heat, but that seems to be what I may have to start doing. Any recommendations for a good heat protectant???

I have been trying to avoid heat, but that seems to be what I may have to start doing. Any recommendations for a good heat protectant???

I understand about trying to cut back on heat. For me, i have to just pick my poison - relax or heat. I think with us shorter ladies some of the other options are just not as easy to pull off.

Of the protectants I have used, Fantasia IC in the pink bottle (not the spray) seems to be good at straightening. I have used so many others that are good protectants, but don't really help with straightening well. I end up having to use more heat. The Fantasia one works like a charm and my hair does not feel sticky afterwards. I mix a little bit of CHI Silk infusions in there, too. :love:

Also could you try a cute braid out with a head band on with it. Hair toys really helped me at my shorter lengths.

Honeydew. I just looked through your fotki. I see that you are texlaxed. What is your regimem. How do you texlax. Has it been hard to maintain. Sorry for so many questions. Oh, what relaxer do you use and what do you mix it with.

Honeydew. I just looked through your fotki. I see that you are texlaxed. What is your regimem. How do you texlax. Has it been hard to maintain. Sorry for so many questions. Oh, what relaxer do you use and what do you mix it with.

I am texlaxed by accident. I just don't leave it on long enough. Honestly, I think it is the relaxer I use. It gets my hair straight while I am smoothing, but after it is rinsed and dry, there is a huge difference in my texture than that of my ends, which are bone straight with lye. Right now I use Profectiv no-lye. It is not hard to maintain, but I do have to use heat.

I am hoping that as my hair grows I will be able to use some of the other no-heat options, but right now I have to. I airdry and flatiron my hair and I do not stretch. I am sure I would be making progress faster if I did not have this routine, but I am still make some progress. Some is better than none, for me, especially since I am able to style my hair and manage it better. The last time I stretched my relaxer - one wash at 12 weeks post gave me huge tangles and knots. I lost a lot of hair. I just don't want to take that chance again.

I relax every 8 weeks or less - as needed to prevent hair loss.

I was thinking of going bone straight, but I am afraid to.

I WAS THINKING ABOUT TEXLAXING WITH ORS NO-LYE RELAXER AND ADDING SO ONLIVE OIL TO IT, BUT I'M THINKING IT WILL BE HARD TO MANAGE WITHOUT USING A LOT OF HEAT. MAYBE LATER I'LL GIVE IT A TRY. YOU HAIR LOOK GREAT.

so im new to this wonderful hair care business and the answers here are really helpful. i'm 3 weeks post-relaxer and the new growth is still manageable. i haven't really thought about what to do in later weeks but i was considering blow drying the roots and doing the saran wrap method. i don't want to get a retouch for at least 8 weeks.

so im new to this wonderful hair care business and the answers here are really helpful. i'm 3 weeks post-relaxer and the new growth is still manageable. i haven't really thought about what to do in later weeks but i was considering blow drying the roots and doing the saran wrap method. i don't want to get a retouch for at least 8 weeks.

What have you been doing so far for this 3 weeks - rollersets, wrapping, or flatironing etc? For me, I notice that at 4 or 5 weeks the routine needs some change. The NG is not unmanageable itself, but it starts to make my ends tangle more or wearing my hair down is not as easy and does not look as good. And that is when I don't do scalp massage. Since I started that, my hair is growing a bit faster. I had braids in before. We'll see how it goes this month without the braids. :perplexed

ATEMEUS, YOU HAIR LOOKS REALLY FULL AND HEALTHY. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK...

I WAS THINKING ABOUT TEXLAXING WITH ORS NO-LYE RELAXER AND ADDING SO ONLIVE OIL TO IT, BUT I'M THINKING IT WILL BE HARD TO MANAGE WITHOUT USING A LOT OF HEAT. MAYBE LATER I'LL GIVE IT A TRY. YOU HAIR LOOK GREAT.

Thanks!

yes one of the reason I want to go bone straight is because I think rollersets would turn out better for me. I need to cut the heat, as well.

I am going to try rollersetting my hair AGAIN this weekend. We'll see how it goes.

It is definitely harder to hide the NG with shorter hair. Have you tried a braid or twistout with a headband?

I know wash and go's saved me many a time. It was frustrating cuz I wanted to wear my hair out. But they kept me from using heat and helped me w/ stretching my relaxer. I agree w/ Honey tho, when you have shorter hair you cant always do what everyone else does. You may have to gradually add a week to your stretches til you get to a length that allows you to have more versatility. :yep:

A couple weeks ago I airdried my hair, flat ironed my roots only then rolled up the ends w/ regular rollers for like an hour. The saran wrap method doesnt work for me so I just took the rollers out and wrapped it up w/ a scarf for about 20 minutes. My hair turned out pretty nicely and it kept my ends from receiving so much damage.

Its kinda trial and error with short hair til you find a method that works. Im still searching in some ways... But eventually we'll find it. :)

I rollerset and wear a head band. I pin curl it every night. I only straighten when I want to see my length or I go to the salon. Right now I am at 8 weeks post relaxer and is going good. But my hair texture is very soft and fine so it's still manageable right now. I'm not too good at putting pics on here. Otherwise, I would post one with my rollerset. It took me forever to learn how to get my avatar on here. I'm working on a fotki.

Back