Help! I think I have a scalp infection

aja1121

Ok, I've always had an itching problem....but I noticed around Nov 06 that my scalp was pussing and scabbing up. I eventually lost hair in these areas and I went to the dermalogists twice and they keep saying that my scalp is oily and is suffocating from product buildup. I don't put anything directly on my scalp, wash weekly and only moisturize my ends a couple times a week. I know from combing the product can travel upwards, but this doesn't make any sense.

One section of hair that I lost is growing back, it's like 2 inches now...but a new section is starting and I am about to scream....most say it's stress, but I don't think so, not now anyway...maybe last year it was.:wallbash:

toniy

Have you tried clarifying. Anytime I hear product buildup, I automatically think the scalp may need to be stripped. JMO - I am not an expert.

But....Did your doctor prescribe anything or give you a plan of action?

Starr1

Would you mind listing the products that you're using on your hair (shampoos, condioners, stylers, etc)?

aja1121

Have you tried clarifying. Anytime I hear product buildup, I automatically think the scalp may need to be stripped. JMO - I am not an expert.

But....Did your doctor prescribe anything or give you a plan of action?

Yeah, I clarify my scalp everytime I wash using Rene Furterer's Complex 5, or Phytopolleine elixir.

She told me to buy Murad's exfoliating serum for thinning hair...it works pretty good, but it's a combination of glycolic and salicylic acid, so it stings a little. Luckily I'm a licensed cosmetologist and can get it at a discounted price. Even with my expertise, I've never seen anything like this. I need to sleep with gloves, I wake up with blood in my nails from scratching. It's bad.......my scalp isn't even dry, it is just a bad....horrible habit.

aja1121

Would you mind listing the products that you're using on your hair (shampoos, condioners, stylers, etc)?

I rotate my shampoo and conditioner:

GHD nurture shampoo and conditioner
DevaCare NoPoo and One Condition
Phytopolleine Elixir (scalp stimulant once a week)
Deep brilliance Silkeratin 17 Protein Trmt (once a month)
Deep brilliance Protein Reconstructor bi-weekly (light protein)
Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Leave-In (once everytime I wash)
Phyto 7 daily hydrating cream (on ends only 3 times a week)
Frederic Fekkai Ironless Straightening Cream (as a heat protectant)

I am natural and always wear my hair straight, so I blow dry and flat iron once a week

yodie

Yeah, I clarify my scalp everytime I wash using Rene Furterer's Complex 5, or Phytopolleine elixir.

She told me to buy Murad's exfoliating serum for thinning hair...it works pretty good, but it's a combination of glycolic and salicylic acid, so it stings a little. Luckily I'm a licensed cosmetologist and can get it at a discounted price. Even with my expertise, I've never seen anything like this. I need to sleep with gloves, I wake up with blood in my nails from scratching. It's bad.......my scalp isn't even dry, it is just a bad....horrible habit.

Could the Rene Furterer's Complex 5 be too strong for your scalp? I have it too and remember it burning my scalp.

smuice

Ok, I've always had an itching problem....but I noticed around Nov 06 that my scalp was pussing and scabbing up. I eventually lost hair in these areas and I went to the dermalogists twice and they keep saying that my scalp is oily and is suffocating from product buildup. I don't put anything directly on my scalp, wash weekly and only moisturize my ends a couple times a week. I know from combing the product can travel upwards, but this doesn't make any sense.

One section of hair that I lost is growing back, it's like 2 inches now...but a new section is starting and I am about to scream....most say it's stress, but I don't think so, not now anyway...maybe last year it was.:wallbash:

Have you tried ACV rinsing of the scalp, that helped me alot when my scalp was sore- good luck:yep:

KAT25

When I was very young the same thing happen to me I was like maybe 7 or 8 my hair was mid back length and this thing got all over my head and all my hair came out I don't remember the name of what is was called but my mom use to use Sulfar 8 products it is some type of fungus. I contracted it from my cousin sharing combs, brushes with her and she had it. I found a site that you might could get some info from. http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/scalp_infections.html even though I was little when I had it I know how it feels and I am so sorry for you. a big ((((((((HUG)))))))))) my mom was washing my hair everyday and only using like Sulfar 8 nothing else on my hair. I know how it feels and I was so bad because I wanted to scratch and it would hurt and also smell bad. Again I am so sorry. If you want me to ask my mom more details about it to get you some more info just pm me.

sunshinelady

It sounds like scarring alopecia or folliculitis to me, but it could be a whole lot of things. The thing that bothers me is the recurrence. Go to the dermatologist.

motherx2esq

Sounds like my daughter's scalp. She has dermatitis. I would see another doctor. If it is fungus you wanna make sure you do not spead it to another area!

Twisties

Have you tried Nizoral - prescription strength from a dermatologist? You might need a NEW dermatologist to look at it if your health care plan allows for that.

Nizoral and Diprolene are 2 medications that have been prescribed for issues like this. Maybe you can request those.

Your symptoms sound like ring worm of the scalp. Have your doc take another look.

I agree! Sorry, my 5yo sister had something like this and her hair thinned horribly in that area. The doctor prescribed Nizoral shampoo and it cleared it right up. HTH

toniy

About your scratching your head at night. I know this sounds crazy, but when babies scratch themselves constantly, we buy these booties that sort or slip over their hands.

Have you tried covering your hands at night and cutting your nails to keep from re-opening your scabs and/or spreading in your sleep. I know this wont cure your problem, but it might minimize the damage you do in your sleep.

glamazon386

This sounds like the patch I had in the front of my head a few weeks ago. I thought the cornrows had pulled my hair out in that one spot but I wasn't sure after I saw that patch. And I kept picking at it. Your scratching might be making it spread.

If you use the Nizoral shampoo, be careful. It's very drying. Be sure to follow up with some kind of moisturizing shampoo. My mother had a patch in her hair about the size of a quarter that went bald. And then her hair dresser relaxed her hair and it turned red. The hair dresser just told her to put neosporin on it. IDK why she would even put a relaxer near that spot. I had to make her go to the dermatologist.

It turned out to be a yeast infection in that spot. The Dr. gave her some foam stuff and the shampoo (Her hairdresser told her not to use the shampoo for what reason, I don't know. If left up to her she would still have that spot and be losing more hair.) She was scratching her head at night like you described. I would see her hand go to that spot a lot of times while we were sitting there watching tv or doing something. He said she probably picked up something under her nails and it transferred to her scalp when she scratched. And by her continuing to scratch it kept reopening the wound. She caught it before it spread. He said all her hair would have eventually fallen out if she didn't treat it.

aja1121

Have you tried ACV rinsing of the scalp, that helped me alot when my scalp was sore- good luck:yep:

And you know what, I use ACV for everything, I even drink a teaspoon a day, but it never crossed my mind....thanks!!!!

aja1121

This sounds like the patch I had in the front of my head a few weeks ago. I thought the cornrows had pulled my hair out in that one spot but I wasn't sure after I saw that patch. And I kept picking at it. Your scratching might be making it spread.

If you use the Nizoral shampoo, be careful. It's very drying. Be sure to follow up with some kind of moisturizing shampoo. My mother had a patch in her hair about the size of a quarter that went bald. And then her hair dresser relaxed her hair and it turned red. The hair dresser just told her to put neosporin on it. IDK why she would even put a relaxer near that spot. I had to make her go to the dermatologist.

It turned out to be a yeast infection in that spot. The Dr. gave her some foam stuff and the shampoo (Her hairdresser told her not to use the shampoo for what reason, I don't know. If left up to her she would still have that spot and be losing more hair.) She was scratching her head at night like you described. I would see her hand go to that spot a lot of times while we were sitting there watching tv or doing something. He said she probably picked up something under her nails and it transferred to her scalp when she scratched. And by her continuing to scratch it kept reopening the wound. She caught it before it spread. He said all her hair would have eventually fallen out if she didn't treat it.

This sounds like what I have the most, especially because my body already creates more yeast than it should anyway (TMI). That's why I drink ACV everyday to keep it underway. I'm gonna go see another doctor ASAP!!!!!!!!

Thank you ladies, you helped me more than my first dermalogists, what a waste!!!! :yep:

TCatt86

Yes you should see another dermatologist. When I was a baby I had a really bad fungal infection of the scalp. And the only way to really help it was through oral medication. I mean nizoral and stuff like that may help. But you should see if the doctor could prescribe an oral medication. Because this seems to be a very serious issue, an issue that will need more than a just a topical fix.

Josie

Have you tried using pine tar soap? It's an old-fashioned remedy that 's supposed to be really good for itching and other scalp irritations. You can find the soap on ebay and on the internet. HTH.:yep:

misskaleah

I was lurking...but I had to join to tell you this!

I had the same problem for years, bumpy, pus filled, scabby nastiness and I went to several dermatologists told me to stop relaxing my hair (which didn't help, but I loove my natural hair), use nizoral, use other topical stuff. None of it helped. My family doctor took a look at it and diagnosed it as a fungus with an infection. He put me on diflucan to clear the fungus and antibiotics for the infection. It's like a miracle...my head isn't sore or scabby. I'm not at all sure if that is your problem, but I'd tell you to go see another doctor!

carmella25

That happened to me. My scalp had bumps with puss and it would bleed. The worst part was when I took a shower and the water would hit my scalp it would hurt so bad! I literally stopped using anything and everything on my scalp. I only rinsed with water for about 2 1/2 months until it cleared up. Now I'm slowly doing the conditioner washes again but I only use non chemical conditioners from the health food store. The bumps are pretty much gone. I did visit the dermatologist to let her know of my symptoms and she gave me some type of oil to put on my scalp while its wet. It helped a little. But I think that I may have been over moisturizing.

hth