Help... I cant retain

I know it's not my terminal length because since I was a kid up to the time I went away to college my hair was a little past APL.And I never tried. But my second semester my hair broke off to shoulder length. That's how I got online and found u guys I wanted to get my hair back. But I mean it's healthy now but for some reason I can get it back to the way it was 3 years ago.

This sounds a lot like me. College messed my hair UP, and I'm pretty sure it's mostly due to my diet, or lack thereof. I never realized how healthy I ate when I was living at home (well, eating at home the majority of the time anyway) compared to all the fast food, junk food, etc. that I've been eating for the last year or two. But now that I'm taking care of my hair I really realize that what I put into my body is vital to the health of my hair, not just my body. I just recently started eating healthier and refusing to eat fast food so I can't really speak on the difference it makes yet, but judging from the time frame in which you started to notice the change in your hair, I would definitely say your diet could be a major culprit.

Have you tried pre-pooing over night with oil? I been having same problem as you with dryness, I just started doing this again after not doing it for a long time - try it you will be AMAZED with the difference.

I think that with 4A/4B hair we need to deep condition at least once a week without fail (whatever season it is!)

Also have you tried the ORS replenishing conditioner? (The one that used to only come in the paks) this is a VERY good moistursing conditioner.

Please update me on your results.

HQ

both of those are protein conditioners and i think the ors is a mixture of protein and moisture. you really should try to use more moisturizing conditioners because it sounds like you may have protein overload. i would avoid using protein for a few weeks and see if it fixes itself. clarify do a deep treatment (with heat) with a strictly moisturizing dc and moisturize twice a day. make sure you sleep with something on your head or on a satin pillowcase. you may also want to try baggying until your hair gets back to normal. i've had protein overload several times. protein is very helpful to your hair but too much will mess it up. hth.

Do u happen to know any moisturizing conditioner and leave in too. I don't really know the difference between which is more moisturizing and more protein. That would help a lot.I have a feeling my moisturizers are more protein that's y my hair is so dry. Thanx

Do u happen to know any moisturizing conditioner and leave in too. I don't really know the difference between which is more moisturizing and more protein. That would help a lot.I have a feeling my moisturizers are more protein that's y my hair is so dry. Thanx
NTM is a good leave in. Keracare Humecto, kenra moisturizing conditioner, Atone botanical reconstructor, nexxus humetress, ntm deep conditioner, elucence for moisturizing deep conditioners just to name a few. CON Nourishing conditioner was a good one, too.

both of those are protein conditioners and i think the ors is a mixture of protein and moisture. you really should try to use more moisturizing conditioners because it sounds like you may have protein overload. i would avoid using protein for a few weeks and see if it fixes itself. clarify do a deep treatment (with heat) with a strictly moisturizing dc and moisturize twice a day. make sure you sleep with something on your head or on a satin pillowcase. you may also want to try baggying until your hair gets back to normal. i've had protein overload several times. protein is very helpful to your hair but too much will mess it up. hth.

That's exactly what i was gonna say:yep:
A good moisturizing dc is Kenra Moisturizing conditioner,which has saved me from protein overload more than once.
I also love Tigi oatmeal and honey conditioner,Senscience silk moisture conditioner,Nex Faze shea butter conditioner(This one is really cheap:yep:) and WEN are all great sources of moisture for me!!!
I mix a couple of them together for extreme moisture when it gets too dry up there.
Good luck hun!

I was about to come in here and say the same thing. Try some Keracare Humecto, Mizani Moisturefuse, or one of the heavy-duty moisturizing conditioners. I've found that if you DC with a nice moisturizing conditioner you can get away without having to moisturize and seal everyday.

i use hairveda sitrinillah, mop extreme moisture ( super moisturizing), aubrey organics honey suckle rose, just check the ingredients of your dcs... if you see protein high on the ingredients then it is probably a a heavy protein condtioner. also, anything that says reconstructor on it probably needs to be followed up with a moisturizing dc.

I think I am going to wash my hair with ACV tomorrow morning, and try to start over. I need to go buy some Elucence shampoos and hair conditioners and also some moisturizing leave ins

I get about the normal 1/2 inch a month. And no i dont cut my hair, i'm just seeing broken hair everytime i comb my fingers though my hair.:wallbash:

The ladies have given you good advice about breakage. The reason I asked about cutting is that usually moderate breakage is patchy. So you should have even a few straggly strands that are visibly longer than your neck. Like holding a wide tooth comb upside down at the ends. The hair is see through- not completely gone. If every single piece of you hair is not growing past shoulder but still growing at the root, unless something drastic has happened I believe that trimming is the culprit. The average rate of hair growth is 1/2 inch per month. That's how much you think your stylist is cutting, but honey let me tell you its probably more. You are cuting 6 inches of hair a year....what most of us grow in a year. Just check progress pics. You need to stop trimming your hair. Learn to dust. Many ladies here do not trim, others wait until they reach a major goal like past APL then trim to APL. Ok so this is no cutting for 1 year +. Still others dust. We are talking millimeters of hair either all around every few months (That's what I do) or split end seek and destroy missions.

Just do an experiment. Don't cut your hair for three months. Do the other things suggested and check back.

Back