Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 and oil

HeChangedMyName

I bought it a long while ago based off great reviews, but it made my hair look dull and dry and sortof grayish, even though, i'll admit that it felt great.

I stopped using it .

Just found a thread today where a member recommended mixing it with oil and voila. I tried it and it is perculating under my baggy as we speak.

Anyone else adding things to their Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 to make it work better for you?

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
How coincidental is it that I just got finished putting in my Hawaiian Silky 14-in 1 mixed with oil (ORS moisturizing lotion). I stopped using the Hawaiian Silky since the summer time but my hair was dying for moisture so I thought I'd give it a try.

You're right, I like it better mixed with the oil.

In the summer time that Hawaiian Silky was the best thing ever for my hair. :yep:

HeChangedMyName

How coincidental is it that I just got finished putting in my Hawaiian Silky 14-in 1 mixed with oil (ORS moisturizing lotion). I stopped using the Hawaiian Silky since the summer time but my hair was dying for moisture so I thought I'd give it a try.

You're right, I like it better mixed with the oil.

In the summer time that Hawaiian Silky was the best thing ever for my hair. :yep:

Are you also relaxed? I noticed a lot of the rave reviews from using it straight were from natural heads. Maybe it just works differently on relaxes vs. naturals.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I'm relaxed and I only like it when I'm bunning. I just got afraid to use it straight in the winter time since others say the glycerine in it can cause your hair to lose moisture instead if there's no humidity in the air.

YankeeCandle

I just bought this on vacation a few weeks ago because I had heard great things about it, and because people on an older protein-overload thread had recommended it.

I was diasappointed to read that it incuded different types of ingredients with the word "protein" in it. Is it too much to ask for a pre-made bottled leave-in that's all moisture?

As to how it looks on hair, my hair is *not* relaxed and I had a similar reaction to the OP's. (FYI, my fine tight curls look shiniest and bounciest with leave-ins that contain hold, like gels). Though it did not actually leave a visible residue or gray color on me, Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 dampens shine on me, allows frizz, is dull, and otherwise is not ideal.

OP, you said you allowed this product to percolate on baggied hair? Was this meant to be washed out, or did you continue about your business until your next hair wash (i.e. it was absorbed)?

Last edited:

irsgirl

I moisturize with the 14-1 twice a day when I am bunning. I don't add any oils to it, but I seal my hair with a coconut oil, jojoba, and rosemary mixture. I love the way it makes my hair feel.

HeChangedMyName

I'm relaxed and I only like it when I'm bunning. I just got afraid to use it straight in the winter time since others say the glycerine in it can cause your hair to lose moisture instead if there's no humidity in the air.

I didn't know that. Wow, so no coconut oil(solidifies when cold) and/or glycerin or your hair could end up dried out and hard as a board. lol

I just bought this on vacation a few weeks ago because I had heard great things about it, and because people on an older protein-overload thread had recommended it.

I was diasappointed to read that it incuded different types of ingredients with the word "protein" in it. Is it too much to ask for a pre-made bottled leave-in that's all moisture?

As to how it looks on hair, my hair is *not* relaxed and I had a similar reaction to the OP's. (FYI, my fine tight curls look shiniest and bounciest with leave-ins that contain hold, like gels). Though it did not actually leave a visible residue or gray color on me, Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 dampens shine on me, allows frizz, is dull, and otherwise is not ideal.

OP, you said you allowed this product to percolate on baggied hair? Was this meant to be washed out, or did you continue about your business until your next hair wash (i.e. it was absorbed)?

It was meant to stay on. I just removed my baggy last night and bunned my hair this morning. Then today, I got off work early and came home and immediately re applied, rebaggied and let it marinate again while I cleaned up. Already, my hair feels better, but I will be able to know the truth once I wash.