Has blow drying and flat ironing caused LESS hair loss for anyone ?

saddlebredsrus

I swear something weird is going on with my hair. I've had it blow dryed and flat ironed at the salon just for lenght checks. I usually lose about 20-30 hairs a day everday even more if I don't shampoo for a 2-3 days. Both times I went to the salon, I've been having Waaay much less hair loss like maybe 8-10 strand s a day. I've also been asking the stylish if my hair fall when she is styling it as I was at home and she said no there are hardly in the brush. Does anyone have any explanation at this or I'm crazy? If I wash I leave it curly or braid it at home. thanks you

ezina

She could be lying. Ever since I started my hair journey in 2009, I noticed that every single time I was at a salon - without fail, on busy days, non-busy days, and days in between - the stylist or her assistant always swept up the floor or cleaned the hair utensils they just used on me before I got to see the mess, on top of turning me away from the mirror. They do it with such quickness.

ScorpioBeauty09

This is why I started washing/blow drying my hair myself so all the stylist has to do is braid or flat iron.:look:

Anyway when I started wearing braids/twists on the regular I noticed the same thing. More hair would come out than when I would flat iron. Then I made sure I combed my hair really well before washing when I took out my braids and now more hair comes out when my hair is straight than in braids. Long way of saying your stylist might be lying or is just wrong.:look: Only way to find out is to do it yourself and compare.:yep:

bklynbornNbred

Not all stylists are the devil. With proper technique if your hair thrives with heat having it blown out properly will not cause a lot of shedding. Look at the Reneice threads. Technique matters. All heat isn't bad.

krissyhair

With straight hair, the shed hairs slip and fall to the ground without you noticing it. With kinky hair, all the shed is trapped until you remove it. That could explain why you see less.

Amarilles

^^ :yep:

Shedding is actually fairly constant...it isn't really changing based on hairstyle. Hormonal changes can alter our shedding but those are internal changes, not external. They say 10% of our hair is in the resting/shed phase, so the amount of shedding we have depends a lot on our density, as the more hair you have the "larger" your 10% will seem, but it's still just 10%. It's why it's kinda silly to compare our shed, surely someone with lower density will see less shed than someone with more hair overall.

A good example is giving an eyebrow a good tug. I did it just now and 3 eyebrow hairs came out. I'm sure I'd get more out if I kept tugging it and this is an area with like what, 200-300 hairs? Now imagine your entire head of 100,000 some strands... it's going to shed. It's a little crazy to expect it to only shed 30 strands when we can get 10 out of an eyebrow.

bronzephoenix

With straight hair, the shed hairs slip and fall to the ground without you noticing it. With kinky hair, all the shed is trapped until you remove it. That could explain why you see less.

This. Women I know with straight hair often find their shed hairs lying around. The only time I see my shed hairs is while detangling.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
This. Women I know with straight hair often find their shed hairs lying around. The only time I see my shed hairs is while detangling. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

This is true. My hair is straight right now, and I've found hair in my car, on my baby and his clothes, the couch etc. However when I comb it or wrap it, only 2 or 3 hairs will actually come out lol

LadyRaider

I thought... that when your hair is straight, it's easy for it to just come out as you are living your life. Shedding I mean. But when's curly, the hair is more likely to stay put until you wash it.

Regardless... it's the same hair loss.

Right?