Hard Protein-- Should I????

beans4reezy

Hi Ladies,

Please help me with a quick question: I am 20 weeks post relaxer and I am experiencing some breakage. Usually with breakage, I would just use the Aphogee hard protein and that keeps the breakage at bay. My hair does not dislike the hard protein as other heads do. However, I just started using OCT/MT and wanted to know if I discontinued the OCT/MT for a week and THEN did a hard protein DC, would this still be on the road to Protein overload?????? :ohwell:

tenjoy

How is your moisture?

Protein is only temporary. It acts like a glue. But yeah I would do a protein, and DC very well afterwards.

beans4reezy

I don't skimp on the moisture at all. I moisturize using ORS Carrot Oil and seal my ends with Castor oil.

Artemis

Yeah, instead of a hardcore protein, why not a medium one? Just to see if protein deficiency is why you are experiencing breakage?

How long are the broken hairs, by the way?

gissellr78

Hi Ladies,

Please help me with a quick question: I am 20 weeks post relaxer and I am experiencing some breakage. Usually with breakage, I would just use the Aphogee hard protein and that keeps the breakage at bay. My hair does not dislike the hard protein as other heads do. However, I just started using OCT/MT and wanted to know if I discontinued the OCT/MT for a week and THEN did a hard protein DC, would this still be on the road to Protein overload?????? :ohwell:

When that happens to me i do Nexxus Emergencee...which is a hard protein my hair loves it....20 weeks wowoowowo!!!! i go 12-14 and thats it!

are you transitioning?

sqzbly1908

Huh...that is a great idea. I never thought of that...Aphogee stops breakage for me DEAD in its tracks....will MegaTek do the same?

Yes Ma'am - it did it for me...- Our sistas of the LHCF decided to make it their own and included additives. I actually just follow the directions on the bottle. The only thing I do different is let is dry in my hair and either mix it with my moisturizing DC (if I am feeling lazy) or rinse and follow up with a moisturizing DC. My hair is so fine and I don't do the "protective styles" so putting it on my scalp would weigh it down. I have tried it a couple of times but that seemed to increase the shedding...

Sorry so wordy - HTH

beans4reezy

When that happens to me i do Nexxus Emergencee...which is a hard protein my hair loves it....20 weeks wowoowowo!!!! i go 12-14 and thats it!

are you transitioning?

Thank you for the encouragement Gisselle..I am trying to transition...BUT GEEZ LOUISE! THIS IS SOOOO HARD !!! :wallbash: But I've worn a relaxer for 16 yrs and I feel like I am in a "bone straight" prison...a sistah is trying to bust out!!!

beans4reezy

Yeah, instead of a hardcore protein, why not a medium one? Just to see if protein deficiency is why you are experiencing breakage?

How long are the broken hairs, by the way?

The hairs are a little but shorter than my shed ones, others are slightly thinner strands....I just don't want the breakage to cause a set- back or anything :nono: so that's why I need to take action--fast!!!!!

Artemis

The hairs are a little but shorter than my shed ones, others are slightly thinner strands....I just don't want the breakage to cause a set- back or anything :nono: so that's why I need to take action--fast!!!!!

So, I guess breaking at the line of demarcation? Maybe spray a leave-in where the new growth and relaxed hair meet and use a strengthening moisturizer there? I don't know that an all over protein treatment would benefit the whole head if that's just the place where you are having breakage.

If you normally stretch a long time, Lisa Akbari has a book where she talks about how to stretch safely just by taking care of this area without damaging it. It's called "Black Woman's Guide to Beautiful Hair".

Good luck with whatever you decide :up: