Hair products with rosemary and high blood pressure

Curlykale

I am trying to help my mum grow her hair, she has texturized short 4c hair.

Since I have been experimenting with natural products and I have found some products I really like, I would like to give them to her as a present. (shampoo, leave in and conditioner).

Unfortunately, most of my products have rosemary or rosemary oil high on the list of ingredients, and my mum takes medications for her high blood pressure. I keep hearing that rosemary should be avoided by people with high blood pressure because it interferes with the medications and it's not beneficial.

Would you consider this true for hair products as well or am I just too paranoid? What would you do? Thank you...

Last edited:

Ms_CoCo37

First of all, I think it's great that you're taking precautions on your mum's behalf.

Since your mum won't be ingesting the rosemary I think it would be fine for her to use the hair products. My mum also suffers from high blood pressure, and she uses all of my products and most of them contain rosemary. We also cook with rosemary on occasion and she's never had any issues with elevated blood pressure after eating.

I found the following article on the web (hopefully, you will find it helpful):

Rosemary

Overall, I think anything we take/use should be done in moderation. I honestly think she will be fine, and regardless of what you give her, I'm sure she'll be happy because it's coming from you. :)

NicWhite

Hey,

I don't think it should be a problem because she won't be eating excessive amounts.

What you can do is have your mother monitor her blood pressure on a regular basis (which she should be doing any way while taking blood pressure medication).

If she starts to see her blood pressure go up then you can stop the use of the products.

But, again, it really should not be a problem. My mother has high blood pressure and drinks rosemary tea. She has never had a problem.