Hair Growing Longer but Thinning Out.... Why?

Suerte

So my hair is growing longer. I need to take comparison shots and measure it when I take my weave out, but it's collarbone on the right side front and apl on the leftside front (scissor mishap last year) and apl in the back although a little longer in the middle than on the sides.

BUT... my hair is thinning out. SO BAD. The back is terribly thin and the front is thinning out, too.

I don't normally wear weaves, so I doubt this is the issue. I had a weave in for 10 days a month ago, and I've had one in for a week this go round and I noticed the thinning before the weaves so that's not the culprit.

What could be causing this?

I've never lost hair to stress before or poor diet before... I'm not anemic and I don't have any blood disorders (outside of having extra blood in my body but that's genetic and all of us have a few extra pints)... so why?

I swear... my hair used to be SO THICK. It felt like 3 people's hair on my head at one point. Now it's thinning.

It's easier to manage and looks better when I wear it curly... but this is alarming to me and is making me worry.

I haven't been dying my hair, either.

cicilypayne

I can relate to the thinning I hope mine was due to my post pregnancy shedding. But besides the weaves every now and then how are you wearing your hair daily. Are you relaxed and if so are you overlapping and some areas of your hair overprocessed? Are you leaving a conditoner overnight? Are you baggying? Are you leaving your hair wet for days at a time while braided?:nono: I wanna help but I think you should find the cause quickly and then the cure,:grin:

Last edited:

Suerte

I can relate to the thinning I hope mine was due to my post pregnancy shedding. But besides the weaves every now and then how are you wearing your hair daily. Are you relaxed and if so are you overlapping and some areas of your hair overprocessed? Are you leaving a conditoner overnight? Are you baggying? Are you leaving your hair wet for days at a time while braided?:nono: I wanna help but I think you should find the cause quickly and then the cure,:grin:

Daily I wear my hair either in two strand twists with or cornrows with a wig over them. I was on a wash-n-go kick for a few weeks.

I'm natural. I don't baggy. I spray my hair with leave in and BT daily or every 2 days.

This is the first time it's ever happened to me and I'm baffled.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Are the roots of your twists just as thick as the ends of your twists??? If so, then your hair really isn't thinning out. As your hair is growing out, it's going to appear like your hair is thinning out, especially if your hair is layered and isn't blunt cut. When your hair is around your neck and shoulders, it might look like it's thinning. I'm sure as your hair grows out more, it will start to look thicker as your hair grows past your shoulders and as your layers start to grow out. I hope that makes sense.

ETA: I just checked out your album and your hair doesn't look like it's thinning out to me. I also see that you have straightened your natural hair a few times. If you really want your hair to thicken up, then avoid using heat as much as possible. HTH!

Last edited:

BrownSkin2

Daily I wear my hair either in two strand twists with or cornrows with a wig over them. I was on a wash-n-go kick for a few weeks.

I'm natural. I don't baggy. I spray my hair with leave in and BT daily or every 2 days.

This is the first time it's ever happened to me and I'm baffled.

How often are you wearing a wig? I wore cornrows with a wig over my hair for a month, taking the wig off every afternoon and shampooing/conditioning weekly and I noticed thinning in the crown area. I had to stop wearing the wig.

wheezy807

Are the roots of your twists just as thick as the ends of your twists??? If so, then your hair really isn't thinning out.around your neck and shoulders, it might look like it's thinning. I'm sure a As your hair is growing out, it's going to appear like your hair is thinning out, especially if your hair is layered and isn't blunt cut. When your hair is s your hair grows out more, it will start to look thicker as your hair grows past your shoulders and as your layers start to grow out. I hope that makes sense.

ETA: I just checked out your album and your hair doesn't look like it's thinning out to me. I also see that you have straightened your natural hair a few times. If you really want your hair to thicken up, then avoid using heat as much as possible. HTH!

I strongy agree with this :yep:. If you have different layers of length, It's gonna look thin, sometimes appearance of thin ends too.

My ends are thin. I just self relaxed Tuesday. I took pics. I compared them to some shots I took a long time ago, like over a year. I realize that my length is about where I thought it would be, but only a few of my ends have actually reached that length :sad:. I am thinking about doing some shots w/my hair dry b/c maybe --I hope--I just didn't comb out my hair enough and that's why it looks that way, but I can't understand why it does.