Hair Breakage.

Louisex3

I've been doing this healthy hair thing for about 3 months now, and my hair is growing, but i'm concerned with the amount of breakage I get. I'm natural 4z?

I've tried to sort it out, i've done moisture conditioners, protein conditioners, i've tried mollasses on several occasions but i still seem to get quite a bit of breakage.

My regi :
Co-Wash 1x per Week

Shampoo (replaced with a clarifier every 3-4 weeks) > protein > deep conditioner 1x per Week
after my hairs been (co-)washed i moisturize with herbal essences healthy ends (i think it's the uk equivalent to long term relationship) s-curl gold then seal with EVVO

I comb out my hair in the morning, style (a puff, french plaits, a bun)
then at night i comb into about 10 - 12 sections and
Moisturize/ S-Curl Gold curl activator + seal w/EVVO
then tie my head with a satin scarf.

I don't brush my hair, I rarely use heat, i air-dry.

I just don't know what else to do :pullhair:

Louisex3

Here a texture shot

BonBon

Do you only get breakage when you comb? I think some people cant comb every day without breakage unless they finger comb. 2 x combing a day on tightish natural hair may cause unnecessary breakage.

Do you comb your hair when its dry, as in with no product on? That may be a problem too. I generally find putting something like coconut oil on before I work through my hair means much less breaking.

I'm sure others will have some more suggestions, hth!

Louisex3

i get breakage when i comb and when i wash, i wash in about 5 - 8 braids.
i comb before i moisturize + seal, but i guess there's still a little bit of product on my hair from the night before

cherxy777

Whatever it is, I would definetly use ors replenishing right after shampooing with ors olive oil shampoo (it is very creamy and gentle). Towel hair dry gently then apply the ors replenishing conditioner in sections. Leave on for 45 min to an hour and rinse out. It's a protein moisture treatment so it should be the first line of defense. Afterwards, if needed only, go ahead and used aphogee 2 min reconstructor (not 2 step). Then if that doesn't solve it, use the 2 step. I personally am wary of the 2 step; 2 min is all i need lol

Edit: I just used the ors replenishing conditioner and creamy olive oil shampoo because of mushiness and hair feels AWESOME!

southerncitygirl

maybe you should try something slippy as a leave-in on wet hair( i'm going to try darcy's botanicals leave-in very soon)....i detangle wet hair with a shower comb before bed and i make lg twists for a twistout style...you said you wait till morning to do a combout and you should detangle immediately after washing...IMO.

4bslbound

same problem here.....I had to texlax it, but now that i have more growth, long strands are breaking (I examine each strand hoping it has a white bulb also!!) I think I'm going to have to hide it until I reach my goals and start relaxing it. My hair is soooo dry that any texture causes it to become brittle and snap off.

I will look into Henna, also Deediamante......:)

Louisex3

maybe you should try something slippy as a leave-in on wet hair( i'm going to try darcy's botanicals leave-in very soon)....i detangle wet hair with a shower comb before bed and i make lg twists for a twistout style...you said you wait till morning to do a combout and you should detangle immediately after washing...IMO.

Sorry i didn't make it clear, after i wash i detangle with a shower comb, moisturize and then plait, and then undo the plaits in the morning and style

I'm relaxed but had some bad breakage issues last month. Did a henna/indigo treatment and it has drastically reduced. My hair feels so much stronger and softer. Something to consider....

Websites for info:
www.hennaforhair.com
www.hennasooq.com
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=335111

Thankyou :) i've been looking into henna, but i was wondering if you can get a henna treatment that doesn't dye your hair? my hair is pretty dark anyway, but it's got a brown tinge to it, and i like the colour

Whatever it is, I would definetly use ors replenishing right after shampooing with ors olive oil shampoo (it is very creamy and gentle). Towel hair dry gently then apply the ors replenishing conditioner in sections. Leave on for 45 min to an hour and rinse out. It's a protein moisture treatment so it should be the first line of defense. Afterwards, if needed only, go ahead and used aphogee 2 min reconstructor (not 2 step). Then if that doesn't solve it, use the 2 step. I personally am wary of the 2 step; 2 min is all i need lol

Edit: I just used the ors replenishing conditioner and creamy olive oil shampoo because of mushiness and hair feels AWESOME!

thanks i'll definately look into this :)

Pompous Blue

Thankyou :) i've been looking into henna, but i was wondering if you can get a henna treatment that doesn't dye your hair? my hair is pretty dark anyway, but it's got a brown tinge to it, and i like the colour

Yes you can do a henna treatment w/o your hair turning red or dark. As soon as you mix the henna, apply it to your hair. Do not allow it to sit for hours to release the color. That is not necessary to receive the benefits of henna.

I henna twice a month. Once a month I only use my henna mix. The 2nd time I add Katam to the henna mix to dye my greys dark brown. Both times I mix, immediately apply and sit under my steamer for 1 hour.

I also use kalpi-tone once or twice a month. I just restocked during the ayunaturalbeauty.com's 20% off sale.

Hesh Kapli Tone advantages:

- Gives a natural black tinge to the hair
- May help to strengthen hair roots
- Promotes hair growth
- Controls hair loss and premature greying

Ingredients: Amla Fruit (10%), Maka Leaves (10%), Mandoor (10%), Japakusum Flower (9%), Narangichal (8%), Shikakai Fruit (7%), Kumari Leaves (7%), Kapoor Kachli (6%), Brahmi Leaves (5%), Methi Seed (5%), Wala (5%), Khadir Stem (3%), Chandan (2%), Neem Leaves, Sitaphal Seed Powder, Sugandhi Dravya.
I steam with this, too, and my hair comes out so soft and strong!

HTH and HHG

Marley4920

Maybe try to reduce the amount of s-curl you are using. I discovered that too much glycerin caused massive amounts of breakage in my hair. It would feel moisturized at first but then throughout the day would dry out and cause breakage. s-curl is very high in glycerin.

Firefly

I was natural for 4 years and now I'm texlaxed. I had to change my methods several times before I found what worked for me. I still have to change it up every now and again. Everything goes great for a while and then I'll have some breakage and it's time to re-evaluate again....change it up. I now deep condition on dry hair (it worked for my natural hair and it works for my texlaxed hair). Think of your hair as a sponge. If the hair is already soaked with water then you won't absorb much of the conditioner but if the hair is already dry, it soaks up more of the product....in theory anyway. I usually mix a protein deep conditioner with a moisturizing deep conditioner, add a little porosity control for good measure and some evoo for a combined hot oil treatment. Sit under the heating cap or dry for 30 to 45 minutes then I wash and detangle in the shower with my shower comb then I wash (one wash only) and avoid tangling. Btw, my hair is very fine/thin so I only comb my hair 1x per week (wash day). This has helped me greatly in my journey. I hope this helps you!!!!!!

Louisex3

I was natural for 4 years and now I'm texlaxed. I had to change my methods several times before I found what worked for me. I still have to change it up every now and again. Everything goes great for a while and then I'll have some breakage and it's time to re-evaluate again....change it up. I now deep condition on dry hair (it worked for my natural hair and it works for my texlaxed hair). Think of your hair as a sponge. If the hair is already soaked with water then you won't absorb much of the conditioner but if the hair is already dry, it soaks up more of the product....in theory anyway. I usually mix a protein deep conditioner with a moisturizing deep conditioner, add a little porosity control for good measure and some evoo for a combined hot oil treatment. Sit under the heating cap or dry for 30 to 45 minutes then I wash and detangle in the shower with my shower comb then I wash (one wash only) and avoid tangling. Btw, my hair is very fine/thin so I only comb my hair 1x per week (wash day). This has helped me greatly in my journey. I hope this helps you!!!!!!

Thanks for your advice, but if i don't comb my hair daily, it gets really really knotty :(

Maybe try to reduce the amount of s-curl you are using. I discovered that too much glycerin caused massive amounts of breakage in my hair. It would feel moisturized at first but then throughout the day would dry out and cause breakage. s-curl is very high in glycerin.

Thank you. I never knew this. Is there a better moisturizer i could use?

Yes you can do a henna treatment w/o your hair turning red or dark. As soon as you mix the henna, apply it to your hair. Do not allow it to sit for hours to release the color. That is not necessary to receive the benefits of henna.

I henna twice a month. Once a month I only use my henna mix. The 2nd time I add Katam to the henna mix to dye my greys dark brown. Both times I mix, immediately apply and sit under my steamer for 1 hour.

I also use kalpi-tone once or twice a month. I just restocked during the ayunaturalbeauty.com's 20% off sale.

I steam with this, too, and my hair comes out so soft and strong!

HTH and HHG

Thankyou :D! I'll buy some henna

omegachick31

Hi Louisex3-- I'm not going to pretend I'm a expert by any means but it may be your products..I noticed when I used herbal essences hello hydration..my hair didn't like it at all and I experienced more breakage than what I would consider normal? (if there is a such thing)...so maybe switch up what you are co-washing and are moisturizing with...also what about combing once day instead of twice with an actual comb and maybe finger-combing one of the times if need be.. I wish you god speed with the rememdy...good luck

Louisex3

thankyou very much omegachick31
any help is appreciated, i'm gunna try switching a few things up