Guard your Heart

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Judges 16 tells the story of Sampson and Delilah..a story many of us know well, I hope. Samson paid lip service to her about the source of his strength; it wasn't until he gave her his heart that she got the secret.

Prov 4:23 says to Guard your heart.... why? Because that is where Christ dwells {Eph 3:17}

It's a subject that came to me (again) this week in different ways. I enjoy how Got Questions.org breaks it down; so I'll share it here (paraphrased . I've added the link at bottom of post.

Hardening of the Heart

Atherosclerosis is a hardening of the arteries due to accumulated cholesterol plaques and scarring in the artery walls. Hardening of the spiritual heart can also occur. Hardening of the heart occurs when we are presented with God’s truth, and we refuse to acknowledge or accept it.

Although Egypt was stricken with one calamity after another when the Pharaoh refused to release the Israelites from their bondage, he hardened his heart against the truth that God Almighty intended to deliver His people from Egypt (Exodus 7:22, 8:32, 9:34). In Psalm 95:7-8, King David pleaded with his people not to harden their hearts in rebellion against God as they did in the wilderness. There are many things that can harden the heart and lead a person to deny God, and just like cholesterol blocks blood flow, they keep a believer from having a free flow of God’s peace and blessings derived from obedience.
1. Guarding against a rebellious spirit and cultivating a spirit of submissive obedience to God’s word, therefore, is the first step in guarding the heart.

Heart Murmurs:

Heart murmurs are abnormal flow patterns due to faulty heart valves. Heart valves act as doors to prevent backward flow of blood into the heart. Spiritual heart murmurs occur when believers engage in complaining, gossip, disputes, and contention. Believers are instructed many times to avoid grumbling, murmuring, and complaining (Exodus 16:3; John 6:43; Philippians 2:14). By engaging in these activities, believers shift their focus away from the plans, purposes, and past blessings of God to the things of the world. God sees this as a lack of faith, and without faith, it is impossible to please God (Hebrews 11:6). Instead, Christians are instructed to strive for contentment in all things, trusting in God to provide what is needed in His good time (Hebrews 13:5).
2. Guarding against a complaining spirit and cultivating a spirit of gratitude and trust is the second step toward guarding the heart.

Congestive heart failure:
Congestive heart failure is an inability of the heart to successfully pump blood through the body due to weaknesses within its walls. Congestive heart failure can result from hypertension (high blood pressure), myocardial infarctions (heart attacks), and abnormal enlargement of the heart. The spiritual equivalents are anger, giving in to temptation, and pride. Of all of the deadly sins, anger can be the hardest one to avoid. Anger acts like a poison on the body, both physically and spiritually, and makes a believer more vulnerable to the temptation to hurt others with our actions and words. Ephesians 4:31-32 instructs, “Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” ...

Avoiding anger, pride and temptation are also critical elements of guarding the heart.

As God had cursed the ground after the fall, Cain had inherited the hardened earth to till. Thus he was farming on dead land and his offering wasn't living. So God couldn't accept it.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/guard-your-heart.html#ixzz2n2Vg4dDj

Judges 16 tells the story of Sampson and Delilah..a story many of us know well, I hope. Samson paid lip service to her about the source of his strength; it wasn't until he gave her his heart that she got the secret.

Prov 4:23 says to Guard your heart.... why? Because that is where Christ dwells {Eph 3:17}

It's a subject that came to me (again) this week in different ways. I enjoy how Got Questions.org breaks it down; so I'll share it here (paraphrased . I've added the link at bottom of post.

Hardening of the Heart

Atherosclerosis is a hardening of the arteries due to accumulated cholesterol plaques and scarring in the artery walls. Hardening of the spiritual heart can also occur. Hardening of the heart occurs when we are presented with God’s truth, and we refuse to acknowledge or accept it.

Although Egypt was stricken with one calamity after another when the Pharaoh refused to release the Israelites from their bondage, he hardened his heart against the truth that God Almighty intended to deliver His people from Egypt (Exodus 7:22, 8:32, 9:34). In Psalm 95:7-8, King David pleaded with his people not to harden their hearts in rebellion against God as they did in the wilderness. There are many things that can harden the heart and lead a person to deny God, and just like cholesterol blocks blood flow, they keep a believer from having a free flow of God’s peace and blessings derived from obedience.
1. Guarding against a rebellious spirit and cultivating a spirit of submissive obedience to God’s word, therefore, is the first step in guarding the heart.

Heart Murmurs:

Heart murmurs are abnormal flow patterns due to faulty heart valves. Heart valves act as doors to prevent backward flow of blood into the heart. Spiritual heart murmurs occur when believers engage in complaining, gossip, disputes, and contention. Believers are instructed many times to avoid grumbling, murmuring, and complaining (Exodus 16:3; John 6:43; Philippians 2:14). By engaging in these activities, believers shift their focus away from the plans, purposes, and past blessings of God to the things of the world. God sees this as a lack of faith, and without faith, it is impossible to please God (Hebrews 11:6). Instead, Christians are instructed to strive for contentment in all things, trusting in God to provide what is needed in His good time (Hebrews 13:5).
2. Guarding against a complaining spirit and cultivating a spirit of gratitude and trust is the second step toward guarding the heart.

Congestive heart failure:
Congestive heart failure is an inability of the heart to successfully pump blood through the body due to weaknesses within its walls. Congestive heart failure can result from hypertension (high blood pressure), myocardial infarctions (heart attacks), and abnormal enlargement of the heart. The spiritual equivalents are anger, giving in to temptation, and pride. Of all of the deadly sins, anger can be the hardest one to avoid. Anger acts like a poison on the body, both physically and spiritually, and makes a believer more vulnerable to the temptation to hurt others with our actions and words. Ephesians 4:31-32 instructs, “Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” ...

Avoiding anger, pride and temptation are also critical elements of guarding the heart.

As God had cursed the ground after the fall, Cain had inherited the hardened earth to till. Thus he was farming on dead land and his offering wasn't living. So God couldn't accept it.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/guard-your-heart.html#ixzz2n2Vg4dDj

This is an awesome Word Laela... I love it. And thank God whose willingly give us a "New Heart"... He removes the 'stoney heart' and gives us a heart of (new) flesh and He places His Holy Spirit within us.

:amen:

Laela....

Your message above reminds me of one of my most favorite messages that you've shared with us.

Can you guess which one it is? I know you can... :yep:

"The Rattle Snake"

The little girl didn't 'guard her heart'. As a matter of fact when she picked up the snake she even held it under her coat, it was near her heart to keep it warm.

And that's when he 'bit' her... in the 'heart'.

I love the message in that story and it ties in which what you've shared in this one..."Guard Your Heart".

Thank you for sharing so many 'Heart Healing' messages.

I love them all and I love you and 'Hubby', too. :love3:

"Happy Hearts" to you two... Always.

:blowkiss:

Last edited:
Hey Shimmie! oooh, yes I remember that thread with that powerful Rattlesnake message from Mary. I'm glad to know you enjoyed this message as well... :yep:

:love3:
Laela....

Your message above reminds me of one of my most favorite messages that you've shared with us.

Can you guess which one it is? I know you can... :yep:

"The Rattle Snake"

The little girl didn't 'guard her heart'. As a matter of fact when she picked up the snake she even held it under her coat, it was near her heart to keep it warm.

And that's when he 'bit' her... in the 'heart'.

I love the message in that story and it ties in which what you've shared in this one..."Guard Your Heart".

Thank you for sharing so many 'Heart Healing' messages.

I love them all and I love you and 'Hubby', too. :love3:

"Happy Hearts" to you two... Always.

:blowkiss:

Another spiritual dis-ease: A lonely heart

A lonely heart can lead to depression, low self worth, etc. You can be married, have a boyfriend, be successful in your career, have tons of friends, etc, and still have a lonely heart. Because a lonely heart is a spiritual state and not associated with physical presence.

Joseph Prince gives a great breakdown on the cure for a lonely heart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSjoYo4EGYU&feature=youtu.be

Proverbs 4:20-23

My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings.

Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.

For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.

Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.

Laela, thank you again for sharing this message. It really has me reflecting on just how vital this is, 'guarding our hearts' in all aspects of it, spirit, soul and body.

"Life flows from the 'Heart'...

This has so many applications in our lives, regarding the heart which is the core of our 'Being'.

^^ Amein, Shimmie, for me that Word means to keep the heart soft and not allow it to harden (through unbelief, strife, anger, pain, loneliness, suspicion, etc) so that only Life flows from it.

Have a blessed Sunday!

Back