Grey Hair Blues

mohair

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site. I wanted to know if anyone has to cover their grey hair as much as I do. I only use a rinse or semi-perm color and it usually washes out with-in a few weeks. I really hate the grey hair :( . Any suggestions on how to make the color last. Am I damaging my hair by coloring it so frequently? I usually put a rinse in once a month.

adrienne0914

hi mohair!

i haven't had to start coloring my hair yet, but it won't be long now. my best friend swears by a product called Gray Magic. here is a description from Sally's:

[size=+0][/size]
[size=+0]
[/size]
[size=+0]Ardell Gray Magic Color Additive [/size]
By: American International

Sally Item #: 240900

Size: .068 oz, Also available in .125 oz (Item #240813)

Add to ANY color formula to achieve vibrant color and exceptional gray coverage. Formulated to help hair color penetrate deeper into cortex.
  • Phenomenal additive that gives outstanding results when coloring hair
    [*]Compatible with any brand of hair color
    [*]Extends the life of hair color, decreases fading
    [*]Colors and increases coverage even the most resistant gray hair
    [*]Adds "punch" to red hair color formulations
    [*]Use to tone down ash (green) tones
    [*]Helps to alleviate chlorine discolorations
    [*]Compatible with all colors and all additives
i have another friend who colors her hair frequently. i bought her some to use with the color. she now swears by it. it's pretty inexpensive. you should give it a try. :)

gn1g

I have the same problem. I have ruint my hair with those harsh dyes. However I can't quit now, so I will be trying this magic.

WHat kind of dye do you use. I've been using tone and textures.

mohair

I am currently using Bigen. I really like how it covers the grey. I am just not sure about how healthy it is for my hair.

dst894

mohair said:
I am currently using Bigen. I really like how it covers the grey. I am just not sure about how healthy it is for my hair.

Mohair,

What color do you use and how long does it last?

good2uuuu

I might have to look into this product. I color every 6 weeks. Of course this surge usage is probably going to take me to 4 weeks. I use either Bigen or Textures&Tones. I prefer T&T because it lasts longer. I refuse to let the grey hair win! Maybe when I turn 50 or so I'll let the grey take over, but not before then!

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Hi Mohair :wave:
I feel you, I really do. I have a lot of grey hairs and I have to color regularly too. I don't know what to do, but I currently use brown henna and level 1 rinses.

Mariaat40

Mohair are you relaxed or natural? I think a rinse is safe in either case - even once a month. I'm relaxed and I use Sebatian Colourshines to cover my grey. I've just heard too many horror stories about relaxed ladies ruining their hair by using semi-permanent and permanent color.

zigzag1

mohair said:
I use oriental black and it lasts for almost 3 weeks. I usually stretch it to a month.

I usually use sta sof fro or Bigen. Neither contain ammonia or peroxide but the colour only lasts 2-3 weeks on me (big sigh)!!!! I hope it is not doing too much damage.

Mohair do you do any sort of treatments a few days before applying colour?

Thanks

mohair

No I sure don't. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am so new at this. I didn't even think of doing a treatment.

NAY007

Isn't Bigen a permanent color? At least that's what it says on the package. I used to use it too for a long time. I'm surprised you use it once a month. It never washed out of my hair. Never completely anyway. My hair would eventually get lighter again after like 3 months but the color would stay in the length of my hair. That's why I decided to stop using Bigen. Because if I wanted to go lighter it is nearly impossible or only with very harsh methods.

Scasey

Have you considred a light color rinse to make the gray look like highlights? My aunt does that to cover her gray and it comes out quite well.