Going natural or stay relaxed?

pinkchocolatedaisy

For those of you that are natural or going natural, I have some questions for ya. How hard was it? Did your hair break a lot? Can you still get your hair strait pretty good when you flat iron?

for those that remain relaxed, do you find that your hair growth is inhibited b/c of the chemicals used? Or is it easier to manage being relaxed and yet you are still getting your length or maintaining it?

I haven't relaxed since late Jan 08 and I'm considering going natural. But I don't even know what "natural" is! :lachen: My mom starting relaxing my hair when I was ten and it's been relaxed ever since -except for my first pregnancy and the first four months of my second.

cocoberry10

I think you must make the decision that's best for you. The beauty of this board is that there are a plethora of ladies with both natural and relaxed hair, so taking care of it in either state is do-able!:yep:

If you desire to go natural, you can at the very least start off stretching your relaxer (since you won't be planning to relax). Do a search about stretching and see how that worked. Also, search for those that transitioned without a BC.

I haven't BC'd yet, but I know for my hair, it's going to be inevitable. I'm at least waiting to get to the one year mark!

glamazon386

For those of you that are natural or going natural, I have some questions for ya. How hard was it? Did your hair break a lot? Can you still get your hair strait pretty good when you flat iron? My transition was pretty smooth. I didn't have much breakage. I wore a lot of low manipulation and protective styles though. I can get my hair relaxer straight with a blow dryer and flat iron.

for those that remain relaxed, do you find that your hair growth is inhibited b/c of the chemicals used? Or is it easier to manage being relaxed and yet you are still getting your length or maintaining it? I'm natural but my growth was inhibited with the chemicals. However, there are a lot of ladies here with long relaxed hair so it can be done.

chocolate01

I didn't have a difficult time going from relaxed to natural. I wore a lot of roller sets or styles that didn't require a lot of manipulation. When I wear my hair straight I get it just as straight as someone with a relaxer, I have a mxiglide that I love.

~~HoneyComb~~

I didn't have a hard time going natural, my hair was already short, and I just cut all my relaxer off two months after my last touch up. I have yet to experience a lot of breakage and the longer I'm natural I have been able to find ways to cut down on hair loss. I flat iron my hair once or twice a year, and when I do straighten, I'll wear it this way for a week or too, and it looks just as good as if I had a relaxer.

ladylibra

it wasn't too hard, but then again i only transitioned for 4 months. :lachen: my hair didn't break much during that time, i just got sick of waiting. yes, i can get my hair pretty straight when i flat iron.

don't feel bad, Mommy slapped my first relaxer on when i was 6 (starting 1st grade). i will say though, with all the info on this site you could go either way and probably reach whatever goals you have in mind. :yep:

justsimply

For those of you that are natural or going natural, I have some questions for ya. How hard was it? Did your hair break a lot? Can you still get your hair strait pretty good when you flat iron? I've been transitioning for 4+ months. And I'm surprised at how easy it has been. Right at the 3 month mark (when I would usually get a touch up), I struggled a bit with shedding and breaking, but then I just started being a little more gentle and patient AND stopped detangling in the shower. (This worked best FOR ME). I have no problems getting my hair straight when I flat iron.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
it got challenging around my 9th month but thats basically because i didnt know what i was doing. i wish i has came here just a wee bit earlier. i would probally still be transitioning. i think i can get it srti easily though. my stylist blew it out when i was about 10 months post and it was pretty straight. well straight enough for me:look:

AsTheCurlzTurns

How hard was it? I'm currently natural, but when I started transitioning, it was okay wasn't hard at all, but I did get to the point of where I was loving my new growth coming in and it was looking way better than my texturized ends. So CHOP they went!:grin:
Did your hair break a lot? No, not really, I'd have the usual shedding but nothing out of the ordinary.
Can you still get your hair strait pretty good when you flat iron? I haven't even attempted to straighten my hair at all(not even close to being long enough), and I honestly don't plan to anytime soon. I probably won't straighten my hair until I'm at least either APL or between APL and BSL stretched, which will hopefully be in about 3 years. I'd rather surprise myself that I can do it. :)

pinkchocolatedaisy

I'm still afraid you guys. I see all of you natural ladies and your hair looks beautiful! What if mine is not as pretty? :nono:I remember at least hating getting my hair combed as child pre relaxer. I was so tenderheaded! :grin: And I don't want to have to cut my hair.........what if it never grows back?? Alas, I am more confused than ever! :wallbash:

SheenaVee

For me, I think relaxed hair does not inhibit my growth at all. I was natural my whole life till i was 11 and all that time although my hair was really thick and healthy (i think) it never seemed like it grew..prob coz it was breakin constantly. But when i relaxed it at 11...i was at bsl in 2 yrs from shoulder length and i didnt even really care for my hair i did everything under the sun to it. but im sure that if i went natural now my natural hair would retain length coz of all the stuff i learned on here. but there would be no point of me goin natural coz i would be straightenin my hair all the time to see my length (i like seein my length) so it wouldnt b too healthy for my hair.

Mook's hair

I'm in month 11 of my transition No BC
• How hard was it? It wasn't hard until month 7 that's about the point when most people BC
• Did your hair break a lot? Thus-far no, I've only recently started to notice breakage. It's weird because I was expecting much more breakage but right around the time I decided to transition was when I got really good at growth retention (go figure) This it the main reason why I'm still not 100% sure I'm going to grow this relaxer all the way out.
• Can you still get your hair straight pretty good when you flat iron? Yes, but remember, I still have lots of relaxed hair on the ends. but I have seen many fotkis of naturals who get great flatironing results.

for those that remain relaxed, do you find that your hair growth is inhibited b/c of the chemicals used?
so far, I haven't noticed whether my growth has increased.

From what I've learned. being natural is not hard...But transitioning is. And I can speak from experience on the second part. I would have a much easier time if I just went on and chopped off the relaxed pieces. But I made a deal with hubby and the deal specifies No BC...just grow & trim.

It's not just him, I don't want to cut it off either.:drunk:

Tenacious

For those of you that are natural or going natural, I have some questions for ya. How hard was it? Did your hair break a lot? Can you still get your hair strait pretty good when you flat iron?

for those that remain relaxed, do you find that your hair growth is inhibited b/c of the chemicals used? Or is it easier to manage being relaxed and yet you are still getting your length or maintaining it?

I haven't relaxed since late Jan 08 and I'm considering going natural. But I don't even know what "natural" is! :lachen: My mom starting relaxing my hair when I was ten and it's been relaxed ever since -except for my first pregnancy and the first four months of my second.

How hard was it? Not really, I just ignored it by wearing long cornrows for 9 months. That's how long I transitioned. The hard part was breaking it to my folks, who thought I was crazy.
Did your hair break a lot? The relaxed ends? Yes, but I kinda didn't mind. I knew that they would break off, but I also knew that there was stronger hair growing as well. I went on and cut it off eventually.
Can you still get your hair straight pretty good when you flat iron? Well, I get lots of compliments on my straight styles. It now takes me less than an hour to straighten; I'm a 3b/3c type. I'll say this. My both my white roommates couldn't get straighter, sleeker hair. So, whose hair is more manageable? Hmmmm?

I would say going natural is a mental thing for some, and for others, it's nothing at all. For me, I just was broke for a very long time and didn't want to spend money on salons or asking my sister to relax it for me. So I went natural (due to lack of money...sad story). I learned about it as I went along. Now I'm SL/APL Natural, Unstretched. That's my story. I think I've also saved a lot of money by going natural. I only use Shampoo, Conditioner, Olive Oil and a Leave-in conditioner. I use protein occasionally.

With a relaxer, I used Shampoo, Neutralizing Shampoo, Conditioner, Protein, Pink Lotion Moisturizer, Hair Grease (for the ends), Hair Gel, Spritz and Heat, with some occasional scalp oil. DAILY! That's a lot of products, manipulation and damage. And what's the point of a relaxer if your hair still isn't manageable? I thought relaxers would help us use less products to style our hair, not MORE.

Anywho, Its a personal choice. As you know, it wasn't until the relaxer
(and other chemicals) that many black women started having the severe balding/alopecia issues and breakage, even at the age of 5. Just something to think about. Not saying that natural is better, per se, just saying that if you want to keep a relaxer, you best be on point about hair care. If you get the least bit lazy on haircare, lots of stuff can happen. It's just too stressful for me. If constant hair care is your thing, then keep the relaxer.

Relaxers are beautiful if cared for and maintained. I wish I could wear it relaxed, but I'm so low maintenance, It would all break off. Sometimes, I hate blowing it out and pressing it, but it comes with the territory. Good luck making your choice. Either way, you can still get long hair.

Last edited:

Ballerina_Bun

I'm transitioning

How hard was it? Did your hair break a lot?

- It's easier the less I think about it. The less I do to it the better. I just try to leave it alone.

Can you still get your hair strait pretty good when you flat iron?

--yes, with the maxiglide or ceramic culring iron. However, with my current regimen, I haven't had to flatiron reccently. I ponytail rollerset and that seems to be enough "most" times.

Good luck on your deecision.