Going bald!

melodee

Tonight I washed my hair. As I was taking some pics of the back of my head, I noticed a frightening sight in my digital camera viewfinder. My nape area is going bald. I mean, it appears that I have some bald spots. My first reaction was one of horror, but I am calm and trying to detect the culprit so that I can remedy it. Here are some main culprits:

Traction alopecea from tight braids*** Biggest culprit! The set of braids I had most recently was done too tightly. I felt two or three large bumps back there for the duration of the time I had the braids (three 1/2 weeks). At first they were sore, but the soreness subsided. The bumps eventually went away after I removed the braids.

Dominican blowouts- I was getting them quite often (every three weeks) at the end of last year. I recieved a slight amount of thinning at my hairline, but it was minimal in comparison and it had since filled in.

Hormones- Somehow I'm thinking they may be out of whack. Although my GYN won't test me unless I'm showing signs of unusually early menopause.

I have uploaded a pic to show you.
Has anyone had a problem like this? If so, did the hair grow back? I don't have bald spots or thinning anywhere else on my scalp.

Last edited:
I am currently nursing my nape back to health because it is exactly how you describe it. Mine is due to over processing for many years by stylists and not rinsing it out fully. I posted a recipe for alopecia that I think I am going to try for my nape area. Here are the recipes:

Nighttime Treatment for Alopecia

Every night apply the following treatment all over the scalp. Mix the ingredients together and store in a clean bottle. Use 1 teaspoon for each application, diluted in 1 tablespoon of cold water, preferably ice cold.

4 ounces Cider vinegar

20 drops Carrot Oil

10 drops Rosemary

Alopecia Pre-poo

Before shampooing, apply the following conditioner. Blend the ingredients together and massage into the scalp. Leave on the hair for at least 30 minutes before washing off.

¼ teaspoon Jojoba oil

10 drops Evening primrose oil

3 drops Palma Rosa

Thanks for the quick response KAddy. I'm going to try the recipes. By the way, have you noticed a halt in thinning since switching to the Phytorelaxer. I am thinking of switching next time, that is if it's safe to switch from a lye based. I tried no-lye twice before switching back to a lye based in Jan. By the way, I should have told the stylist not to touch up the nape since it was feeling a bit thin since taking out the braids.
Have you seen any impovement in your thinning area?

Any other responses?

Hey, Melodee:

Sorry for your hair troubles :( I've never had nape troubles before, so I can't help. I just wanted to say I hope you figure out what's going on, and try not to stress too much.

Hopefully, some of the other ladies will be able to offer some helpful tips.

melodee said:
What is Palma Rosa?

Palmarosa is an essential oil. It has like a floral scent. It stimulates cellular regeneration, regulates sebum production, moisturizes the skin, and is good for skin infections, scars, and sores.

As for difference when I switched to PhytoRelaxer, I didn't relax this time with the relaxer. It is doing better and I am taking the other ladies advice with keeping it moisturized.

Hey Melodee,

Tight braids/cornrows will do it to you everytime! Last November I had some cornrows done by this woman that were just gorgeous. However they were so tight I felt like screaming. This woman caught every tiny piece of edges at the nape of my neck. I only had them in for about 3 weeks but I took them out because I could just feel the damage happening. When I took them out I felt little pieces of scalp come out with them. There were actual raw and thin spots around the nape and behind my ears.
:cry3:

But I just took a deep breath and started Surging regularly. 2 months later and I can't even tell where the damage was anymore.

Nay said:
Hey, Melodee:

Sorry for your hair troubles :( I've never had nape troubles before, so I can't help. I just wanted to say I hope you figure out what's going on, and try not to stress too much.

Hopefully, some of the other ladies will be able to offer some helpful tips.

Thanks sweetie!

Ennyya,

Thanks for that. I needed to hear that this can be remedied? Do you ever get bumps from tightly done braids? I couldn't see that area when I took out the braids. I have been surging, but so far it's not done much for that area. I'm gonna try KAddy's oil recipe.

Oh sure I've had the bumps too. But usually within a week or so of alleviating the pulling the bumps would go away. The other thing is since I'm natural I don't manipulate my hair too much from day to day and that probably helps me to bounce back as well.

I'm all for trying any kind of mixtures/oils when it comes to filling in thinning areas. But in addition it's important to just let your scalp rest and heal itself.

It doesn't look that bad in the pic Melodee... but I think you're right to not relax that area for a while. With the oil mixture you're planning on using, (and maybe you should consider "Surging")... your hair should grow back in no time!!;)

Mel,

I switched from Lye to the Phyto and my hair is holding up fine. I'm going to do a Aphogee or Dudley's treatment tonight or tomorrow, just to make sure everything is okey-dokey! :)

melodee said:
Thanks for the quick response KAddy. I'm going to try the recipes. By the way, have you noticed a halt in thinning since switching to the Phytorelaxer. I am thinking of switching next time, that is if it's safe to switch from a lye based. I tried no-lye twice before switching back to a lye based in Jan. By the way, I should have told the stylist not to touch up the nape since it was feeling a bit thin since taking out the braids.
Have you seen any impovement in your thinning area?

Any other responses?

I had similar issues and lost my hairline from relaxing and recently from surgery.

I got it back initially from Surge and now from stopping the initial behavior that caused the loss and using Emu oil. You might want to give that a try (emu oil) as well.

Melodee, sorry about your hair. But I agree with Lindy, the nape doesn't look bad. The ladies gave you some good advice. I think you should try Surge. I'm about to jump on the bandwagon myself. :)

Hi Melodee! I have a tip for you in case you decide to wear braids again. When the braider starts a braid tell her that its too tight, then gently put your finger over the start of the braid and hold it down. This will hold your hair in place so as she braids she doesn't pull so tight. I mostly do this when the braider is working on my hair line. This is how I kept my delicate hairline in place. Besides braiders usually get the picture once you keep placing your finger on a braid that they are pulling too tight. This has workd for me since high school. My current braider encourages me to do this especially around my hairline.

I have the same problem in my nape are but mine is due from stylists not thoroughly rinsing relaxer from that section of my hair. I grew my this area back by using Surge and following that with Castor oil.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Thanks for the help and encouragement. Lindy and Army, I guess I'm just so hyper about my hair, I panick at the first sign of trouble. If y'all think it doesn't look too bad, I won't jet off to a tricologist just yet.

By the way ARmy, your hair looks so pretty even with the trim. Don't worry about it looking too short, just chalk it up to being a hair Freak like I am!!!;)

K, I'm "sahriously" thinking of trying my hand at Phytorelaxin.

Simplycee, thanks for the braiding advice. I had cornrows and that lady pulled every last strand of fragile nape hair into those rows. I held my finger at the hairline, but she still pulled that too tight. I will have to find a gentler braider.

Now that you mention it, Cee, this could have a little something to do with my last relaxer. The stylist was really nice and gentle putting in the relaxer, but she kept saying "don't raise your neck up" during the rinse. She said "most people say I don't get that neck area, but beleive me I can". Maybe she couldn't after all.

Last edited:
melodee said:
K, I'm "sahriously" thinking of trying my hand at Phytorelaxin.

OK, you know I didn't see anything you wrote but this right. :lachen:

Do it! Do it! Do it!
14.gif

Back