Glycerin free heavy butters/creams?

greenandchic

My hair loves heavy butters (eg. Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Curl Junkie Honey Butta, Donna Marie Super Butter Cream), but cant deal with the glycerin this time of year. :nono:

I've been doing searches on water based butters that's glycerin free but been coming up short. I don't need a moisturizer or leave in because I already have a few that works for me, but I need heavy creams. Any suggestions?

chebaby

My hair loves heavy butters (eg. Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Curl Junkie Honey Butta, Donna Marie Super Butter Cream), but cant deal with the glycerin this time of year. :nono:

I've been doing searches on water based butters that's glycerin free but been coming up short. I don't need a moisturizer or leave in because I already have a few that works for me, but I need heavy creams. Any suggestions?
the bolded is the bomb.com:lick:
ive been using it all summer but like you, probably wont be able to use it this winter.
dont know if you are into AV after the gate, but i purchased it again recently and so far i am in love with it.
other than that i mix my own shea butter and oil mix. my fave mix is shea butter, evoo, wheat germ and hemp oil.

greenandchic

chebaby - Gate or no gate, I never purchased from AV due to her shipping cost, LOL. I soooo love the Honey Butta, but afraid to order it again only to have to put it away until spring. Hmmmm....do you make butter's that's water based? I can blend butters and oils, but for me, water is the magic ingredient.

tiffers - I thought about MD's products in the past, but was afraid of the heavy use of emulsifying wax. Do you know if its "waxy" or smooth? I've been meaning to try B.A.S.K. - thanks for the heads up! Maybe I should give up having something water based?

PatTodd

My hair is very similar to yours and very glycerin sensitive (and to honey too, i might add). I make my own shea mix by melting the shea, letting it cool, and then hand-stirring safflower oil into it until it is light and creamy (sometimes over the course of a few days). I use it for everything - sometimes I stir it into some of my favorite glycerin free gel. I also mix oil into my gel for wash and go's. Sometimes I also add water...maybe that could work with butter and oil too.

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
the bolded is the bomb.com:lick:
ive been using it all summer but like you, probably wont be able to use it this winter.
dont know if you are into AV after the gate, but i purchased it again recently and so far i am in love with it.
other than that i mix my own shea butter and oil mix. my fave mix is shea butter, evoo, wheat germ and hemp oil.

I'm going to take the plunge again and try AV. She is having a sale that ends tomorrow at midnight. No other butter made my hair feel so good. Even QB didn't benefit me as much, though it was a good second.:look: What do you use from them and how is the consistency?

chebaby

@chebaby - Gate or no gate, I never purchased from AV due to her shipping cost, LOL. I soooo love the Honey Butta, but afraid to order it again only to have to put it away until spring. Hmmmm....do you make butter's that's water based? I can blend butters and oils, but for me, water is the magic ingredient.

@tiffers - I thought about MD's products in the past, but was afraid of the heavy use of emulsifying wax. Do you know if its "waxy" or smooth? I've been meaning to try B.A.S.K. - thanks for the heads up! Maybe I should give up having something water based?
no i dont use water in my butters. just butter and oils.

do you like to seal? i normally dont but what if you use the same butters you use during the summer and just seal it with an oil?
i know for me even though honey butter looks thick its actually quite light and i would be able to seal it with an oil and be ok.

or what about qhemet twisting butter(or jane carter nourish and shine, they are quite similar).

greenandchic

My hair is very similar to yours and very glycerin sensitive (and to honey too, i might add). I make my own shea mix by melting the shea, letting it cool, and then hand-stirring safflower oil into it until it is light and creamy (sometimes over the course of a few days). I use it for everything - sometimes I stir it into some of my favorite glycerin free gel. I also mix oil into my gel for wash and go's. Sometimes I also add water...maybe that could work with butter and oil too.

Do you find that the water and shea butter separates?

chebaby

I'm going to take the plunge again and try AV. She is having a sale that ends tomorrow at midnight. No other butter made my hair feel so good. Even QB didn't benefit me as much, though it was a good second.:look: What do you use from them and how is the consistency?
i just started using AV again. the shea amla is very whipped and soft/fluffy. when i used it on a braid out it has a lot of slip.
i ordered from this sale so i have the cocolatte, hemp butter and ashlii amala deep conditioner(which used to be my fave deep conditioner) on the way.
i also have the whipped gelly which is not as thick as it used to be.

greenandchic

no i dont use water in my butters. just butter and oils.

do you like to seal? i normally dont but what if you use the same butters you use during the summer and just seal it with an oil?
i know for me even though honey butter looks thick its actually quite light and i would be able to seal it with an oil and be ok.

or what about qhemet twisting butter(or jane carter nourish and shine, they are quite similar).

I usually seal the length of my hair with my oil blends and the ends with a oil based butter. I will see if sealing over a glycerin product would help some. My hair loves heavy but water based creams. Hair can't live on oil/butter alone. :lol:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
greenandchic About the wax in MD's products, I had the same concerns. But I've been using samples and don't have any buildup. My hair is very soft and moisturized.

I use the Curly Styling Cream daily and love it sooo much. It's not waxy at all, very thick, creamy and smooth. :)

greenandchic

greenandchic About the wax in MD's products, I had the same concerns. But I've been using samples and don't have any buildup. My hair is very soft and moisturized.

I use the Curly Styling Cream daily and love it sooo much. It's not waxy at all, very thick, creamy and smooth. :)

Great! Thanks for the heads up.

allmundjoi

Darcy's Botanical Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme

DB Organic Coconut & Aloe Moisture Pudding

DB Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme (not great reviews)

Curl Mart you can shop by ingredient. They list all the products they offer that are glycerin free.