Gifts of the Spirit useless?

Jenibo

I go to a church that does not promote gifts of the Spirit unless serving, teaching, etc. Tongues, prophecy and others of the like are not practiced. My pastor said that God only gave those gifts to those He needed to write His Word and now that His Word is complete, there is no need for tongues and prophecy because we cannot add to His Word. I know ppl who have the gift of tongues and of prophecy and other gifts of the Spirit and I don't think God would still give them if they were useless and served no porpose. Any insight?

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
I go to a church that does not promote gifts of the Spirit unless serving, teaching, etc. Tongues, prophecy and others of the like are not practiced. My pastor said that God only gave those gifts to those He needed to write His Word and now that His Word is complete, there is no need for tongues and prophecy because we cannot add to His Word. I know ppl who have the gift of tongues and of prophecy and other gifts of the Spirit and I don't think God would still give them if they were useless and served no porpose. Any insight?

There are many Christians who believe this. It's called "cessationism," meaning that the charismatic gifts of the Spirit were given to the new Christians to help spread the Gospel, but once the Church was established, they "ceased."

I think the main problem with this is first what you said in that many believers clearly do have these gifts, and you can't say that everyone who claims to speak in tongues is making it up. Also, we still need to spread the Gospel! We still need to be able to show forth the power of God in the world and I don't think that just because the church is "established" that that means that the Spirit would no longer manifest Himself. The Church is not simply an institution, but it's living and breathing, and the gifts of the Spirit reflect that.

Plus, this is mainly an American idea, where Christians have become very lukewarm. In other parts of the world where Christianity is spreading and where there is persecution, you see these gifts manifested in amazing ways.

I can't speak for your church in particular, but I've been bothered by the same thing in different churches I've been a part of, and honestly I think it tends to be reflective of a loss of the radical Gospel vision and a tepid kind of faith in the congregation. But that's JMO.

royalty84

There are many Christians who believe this. It's called "cessationism," meaning that the charismatic gifts of the Spirit were given to the new Christians to help spread the Gospel, but once the Church was established, they "ceased."

I think the main problem with this is first what you said in that many believers clearly do have these gifts, and you can't say that everyone who claims to speak in tongues is making it up. Also, we still need to spread the Gospel! We still need to be able to show forth the power of God in the world and I don't think that just because the church is "established" that that means that the Spirit would no longer manifest Himself. The Church is not simply an institution, but it's living and breathing, and the gifts of the Spirit reflect that.

Plus, this is mainly an American idea, where Christians have become very lukewarm. In other parts of the world where Christianity is spreading and where there is persecution, you see these gifts manifested in amazing ways.

I can't speak for your church in particular, but I've been bothered by the same thing in different churches I've been a part of, and honestly I think it tends to be reflective of a loss of the radical Gospel vision and a tepid kind of faith in the congregation. But that's JMO.

Well put! I agree! No where does the bible say that the gifts were just for the early church fathers. Why would the bible leave instruction in regards to the usage of the gifts? The gifts and the five-fold ministry is still needed because the church has not been perfected yet. Just like people needed the power of God demonstrated then, we still need all of that today. And these gifts were given for our "common good". I don't know about you, but I think we still all need some common good. No where did God say that it would stop EXCEPT when Jesus comes back. THAT's when knowledge, prophecy, etc., will cease.

Honestly, I wouldn't be where I am (in Christ) if it wasn't for the gifts. They really do make ministry, life, dealing with people, bringing people to Christ much easier, and allows you to go further than you would without it. Really. I believe that those who make it a point to dismiss these gifts and try to do away with them are afraid of relinquishing control to the Holy spirit. Instead of letting God lead them, and give them instuction, they'd rather lead God, give him instruction, and make a 'mental corral' where he can't go past the boundaries of their understanding or little faith. Not good. :nono:

But Jenibo, I really do hope you got some insight out of my ramble :blah:

BeautifulFlower

I am taking a gifts of the spirit class now. I completely disagree with the point of view of pastors that dont encourage these gifts. I think its funny that they pick on prophecy and tongues but not the other gifts. Like administration, teaching, serving, giving, and mercy. I'd like so see them challenge that they dont need giving anymore that help the church run. Or serving that help faciliate events. Or admin/organizing that help church functions orderly. Or teaching that help spread the Word of God.

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
I am taking a gifts of the spirit class now. I completely disagree with the point of view of pastors that dont encourage these gifts. I think its funny that they pick on prophecy and tongues but not the other gifts. Like administration, teaching, serving, giving, and mercy. I'd like so see them challenge that they dont need giving anymore that help the church run. Or serving that help faciliate events. Or admin/organizing that help church functions orderly. Or teaching that help spread the Word of God.

Those are really good points! I think that poeple feel a need to come up with an explanation for why they aren't experiencing the power of God. It's all about faith and obedience.