Getting my 1st sew in weave (help)

Sweetyb

Getting my 1st sew in weave (need help!)

I have a few days to decide... and inquiring minds want to know::spinning: :brainy: :huh: :dork:
  • What are some good quality human hair brands?
  • What's small weft, and when would you use a... large weft?
  • Is there a guideline to how many packs you should buy?
  • Weave styles for natural hair that you would recommend? (eg. bangs, full vs. leave hair out... wet n wavy, kinky straight... what brands?)
  • :sleep8:... I'm almost done!
  • What should my stylist know to do when she works on my hair? Good vs. Bad technique?
  • How should I maintain my sew in?
Thx!!! :grin:

Last edited:

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
i'm not sure on brands but i would go for the silkiest hair i could find, if you are not on a budget i hear remy hair is the best but i'm not sure if you have to order it online or if it is available at stores

not sure small vs large but i know i split my tracks so that they are not too thick so maybe thats what small weft means

no more than two packs of hair i do my full head with one pack unless i am mixing colors

i would suggest a full weave for natural hair with none of your hair left out because if you leave some out you will constantly need heat to make sure your hair blends with the weave. i have a pic of a wet/wavy weave in my album with none of my hair left out take a look its at the end of the transitioning folder

just make sure she isnt rough with your real hair make sure your cornrows aren't too tight and i would suggest cornrow extensions not just your own hair it makes it easier to take down IMHO

maintain your sew in by moisturizing/oiling your real hair tie the weave down at night other maint. depends on what kind of hair you get straight or curly etc

Sweetyb

Thanks msportugal for your reply! That hair looked very good on you... how lond did it last? Do you remember the brand?

I know I'll be working out in the hair, so I wanna make sure I can wash it often. I'll keep wet n wavy as an option.

Other types I'm considering (but have yet to find in a store):

kinky straight weave hair
Sensationnel Remi Goddess French Wave in 14 inches
Outre Yaki Weave 12"
Outre New Yaki

Any reviews or other comments?

JLove74

Most stylist to consultations beforehand so they can talk to you about the style you want, how you plan on wearing your hair, suggesting different types of hair and in some cases ordering it for you.

Did you have a consultation?

glamazon386

Depends on what style you're going for. If you're a natural head, I would suggest you get the full head weave so you dont have to worry about blending.

Sweetyb

Hey JLove,

What's funny is that the two stylists I spoke to were very general and expected me to just bring in whatever hair I wanted to use. Well, one said she only wants straight yaki so she can press my hair to blend in with it--went to the store to check it out and it's straight up thick Asian hair, I can't swing that. I don't want my hair burnt to look like that everytime either :ohwell:.

I thought maybe going to the bss would be more helpful, but they expected me to know what I wanted as well. I also didn't find any of the recommended hair brands anywhere, but I'm still looking.

Here are pictures of the styles I'm thinking of getting (not including Goddess remi wave)... I just can't tell what type of hair they would be:

(pics from website- http://www.pixagogo.com/0182675698/ )

pic 1- http://www.pixagogo.com/Photos/Albums/Photo.aspx?id=S4ZC0sADX1E2NBr6vuCZ34DGNKjYHfzImFPUsI-nprODgJXG2dutXXpg__

pic 2- http://www.pixagogo.com/Photos/Albums/Photo.aspx?id=S4EdOQoT3FYUcXE-zMBcsRDdaKWHJJNWpnKgpHyh2MK7fZOyxYQRbXNQ__

Thanks again bmoreflygirl for all your suggestions... I'm heading to some other bss' recommended by friends to see if I can find some hair choices there :)

glamazon386

They both look like yaki hair curled. Outre is a good brand as well as Milky Way. I've heard mixed reviews about Sensationnels regular lines. I got a lot of tangling with their regular human. You can check out the types of weave and see pictures of it on outrehair.com or sensationnel.com. I'm not sure if Milky Way has a website.

Sweetyb

Thanks B, that's what it seems to look like, just nicely styled.

Found the Sensationnel Goddess Remi French Wave today! It's sooo beautiful, soft, and natural looking ... I don't think I would feel fake wearing that type of hair. Especially love the ones with mixed colors. Price ranged btwn $57 & $67 :perplexed... and I'll probably need 2 packs as well. I plan on reusing the hair for the summer and I put a wig on similar to the pakaged hair and just know I'll love it. I'll have 2 plead w/my stylist to drop her price... maybe a Grad special :grin:, or find someone else to do it for cheap... but I really want that hair! I will also try to do it myself *crossing fingers* on my sis & see what happens.

Thanks for all the advice, keep 'em coming, I can never get enough:).

Crissi

Well, id say get a sew in, in my opinion yaki is the best hair to use. My stylist also splits the weft with a razor

Sweetyb

What does it mean to split the weave? I think I'm gonna try Yaki on my sister since she has relaxed hair, whenever I learn how to weave myself.

Since I've chosen the french wave, my stylist tells me that I need a closure :ohwell: *sigh*. Yet on the dummy's head I don't think it had a closure and I thought it looked nice... but then again I'm a little inexperienced. I guess my journey hasn't ended yet. And I still have to make sure it's small weft b/4 I buy.

glamazon386

Sweetyb said:
What does it mean to split the weave? I think I'm gonna try Yaki on my sister since she has relaxed hair, whenever I learn how to weave myself.

Since I've chosen the french wave, my stylist tells me that I need a closure :ohwell: *sigh*. Yet on the dummy's head I don't think it had a closure and I thought it looked nice... but then again I'm a little inexperienced. I guess my journey hasn't ended yet. And I still have to make sure it's small weft b/4 I buy.

I think they mean to split the weft in half. I'm not sure because I've never done that. You don't neccesarily need a closure. She should know how to do a full head weave without one. The red curly weave in my fotki was a full head weave I had NO hair left out. She braided it in a spiral on the top and then closed it up some kind of way.

Sweetyb

Girl, see that's what I'm sayin. For $180, she's not convincing me that she could do this right, so I'm forgetting about the closure & getting my hair done elsewhere. I don't wanna look like I'm wearing a wig and that's what that closure thingy looks like... well unless I shell out $200+ for the best one :spinning:. My friend's never even heard of a closure and she gets her weave done on her mid back length 4b natural hair all the time... for less than $100.

Also, I found another forum where ppl r saying they had issues with the Goddess French wave... what's the type of Goddess you're wearing in pic#9? It looked like the French wave to me.

P

patient1

I'm intrigued. I've never encountered naturals (unpressed, rocking naptural hair) with a head FULL of hair, btw, getting sew-ins?

So....tell me the benefits/advantages? Mind you, I've had braid extensions but have never had a weave or worn tracks. This is all foreign territory. Is it damaging? Is the potential for damage less or more than with extensions? Is this a convenient way of growing your hair out? How are you able to oil moisturize your hair without the individual parts as with extensions?

Also, I like the style in the second pic (was it a rollerset). The first pic has that weird bang with too much forehead style that looks a bit wiggy imo. The other style was cute.

Good luck!!! Sounds like a LOT of work just getting the stylist, the hair, etc. Be sure to post pics.

p1

glamazon386

Sweetyb said:
Girl, see that's what I'm sayin. For $180, she's not convincing me that she could do this right, so I'm forgetting about the closure & getting my hair done elsewhere. I don't wanna look like I'm wearing a wig and that's what that closure thingy looks like... well unless I shell out $200+ for the best one :spinning:. My friend's never even heard of a closure and she gets her weave done on her mid back length 4b natural hair all the time... for less than $100.

Also, I found another forum where ppl r saying they had issues with the Goddess French wave... what's the type of Goddess you're wearing in pic#9? It looked like the French wave to me.

Have you tried an African Braid shop? That's where I go. They're cheaper than the regular black salons. I pay about $80. However on the other hand, they don't cut or style your weave. Yes, I have the french wave. I have it in now. I've never encountered any problems with tangling or anything caring for it myself and this is the 4th weave I've had with this hair. This is a fresh pack though. I used the first batch for 3 weaves. I had a bad bout with tangling when I let the dom salon attempt to straighten it the second time. That was the black shampoo womans fault. I don't know what she did to my hair but it turned into a frizz ball bc she was being rough with it. I was able to salvage my hair and use it for another 2 weaves. But anyway, I have read other people's accounts on bhm that said they had bad experiences with the hair. But just like with products and hair care methods mentioned on this board, everything doesn't work for everyone. I'm not sure how they were taking care of the hair. I remember reading hat some people couldn't straighten the hair no matter what they tried. I was able to get mines straight once by the dominican salon, and twice on my own. That's just like some people love extensions plus hair, which is very expensive but some people have complained about that hair tangling and have had a bad experience. I would be extremely frustrated if I spent $1000 on hair and it turned into a tangled mess. I personally love the french wave. It's my favorite to buy. I don't have to do anything to it but put a little conditioner in it. I tried the goddess body wave hair and didn't like it. While it lasted longer than the outre body wave from the bss, it wasn't all that or worth the $120 i spent for it. HTH...

glamazon386

patient1 said:
I'm intrigued. I've never encountered naturals (unpressed, rocking naptural hair) with a head FULL of hair, btw, getting sew-ins?

So....tell me the benefits/advantages? Mind you, I've had braid extensions but have never had a weave or worn tracks. This is all foreign territory. Is it damaging? Is the potential for damage less or more than with extensions? Is this a convenient way of growing your hair out? How are you able to oil moisturize your hair without the individual parts as with extensions?

Also, I like the style in the second pic (was it a rollerset). The first pic has that weird bang with too much forehead style that looks a bit wiggy imo. The other style was cute.

Good luck!!! Sounds like a LOT of work just getting the stylist, the hair, etc. Be sure to post pics.

p1

Reneice has some pictures of natural hair that had been weaved in her album at Reneice.com. In my own personal experience, a weave is less damaging than extensions. It's less tension on the hair. It also takes less time putting it in and taking it out. And if taken care of properly, a weave can last up to 3 months just like braid extensions. Once you find a stylist you like and the hair you like, you're good to go. The main advantage of a weave is to put your hair away and let it rest. Your hair can grow out while its safe from daily combing and curling and what not. Your hair is cornrowed underneath and you can oil it between the tracks in the parts just like you would with extensions. HTH...

P

patient1

Thanks bmore. Interesting information. I can see how a weave would be less damaging/more protective.

I don't know if I'd try it, but it def. makes sense. I guess my issue is that a weave sometimes has that "I'm trying to floss like it's mine" look whereas braid extensions have none of that pretense. However, I can understand how the sew-in could be quicker, more convenient, and def. more versatile.

Thanks again and CONGRATS on your recent graduation!!!!!!

p1

Sweetyb

patient1 said:

p1

Hi p1,
I think I'm making it harder on myself though because I'm so picky and have little money to work with :look:. And because this is so different from wearing my own hair, I'm very hesitant and sceptical because I look so drastically different in weave hair... I like the way I look though, I just don't wanna appear as you said, pretending it's my real hair. I believe weaves protect your natural hair and allows it to grow while unmanipulated. Member "weaveitup" is natural and puts in her own weaves. I really want my hair to rest and stay away from heat. I also wanna work out more often without worrying about my hair.

Thx B for the suggestion... I have 3 more salons that were recommended. So I guess I need another week to settle on a stylist. That Goddess hair looks so good on you, and I loved it at the store so I'm still gonna see if I can get it. In the meantime, today I got an Outre Quick Weave that I'll start sporting tomorrow... so far good reviews from friends :)... this might be used for grad ceremony #1 which is next week. (pics attached) I'm really amazed at how different it makes me look... my face stands out so well now :yep:. This will def get me ready for the real thing ;).

Thanks for all your suggestions ladies... if there's any more, keep 'em comin' !

Attachments

• my hair.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 56
  • outre qw pushed back.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 63
  • outre qw pushed forward.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 55
  • outre qw under light.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

glamazon386

patient1 said:
Thanks bmore. Interesting information. I can see how a weave would be less damaging/more protective.

I don't know if I'd try it, but it def. makes sense. I guess My issue is that a weave sometimes has that "I'm trying to floss like it's mine" look whereas braid extensions have none of that pretense. However, I can understand how the sew-in could be quicker, more convenient, and def. more versatile.

Thanks again and CONGRATS on your recent graduation!!!!!!

p1
Thank you!! :kiss: It's definitely been a long 4 years. I'm glad to be finally done with the University of Maryland. But I can honestly say that I am going to miss it. GO TERPS!! :lol: I totally understand about the braid vs weave thing though. Girls always have something to say about my hair. I remember being in class and hearing these 2 girls in the row behind me debating on whether my hair was real or not the whole class period. I was like Oh goodness! :eek: Does it really matter that much? It'd be different if I had a bad weave or something. Mind you both of them had tore up looking hair. One had chewed up chin length hair and the other had micros and her edges were gone. All I could do was shake my head. I never quite understood that whole thing about braids being okay but oh no not a weave or even a wig. That's why I never tell people I wear wigs they just assume it's track. They look at me like I'm crazy when I saw I have a wig on. But braids tore my hair out really bad as a freshman. I let my cousin do them for $40 and while they were gorgeous, I'll never let her touch my head again. I'm scared to try the braids again. When I was younger I never had any problems with them thoug even when my mom used to do them for me. I might consider some Senegalese twists later this summer. My braider said she can do them in 6 hrs. But anyway, the weave works for me so I don't care what people think. :lol: That and because I rarely wear my hair out and have a weave most of the time people automatically assume that I'm bald headed. I have a good amount of hair that's growing beautifully thanks to the weave. Once I get to my goal and have a head full of swingin hair they'll shut up then. :lachen:

Last edited:

glamazon386

Sweetyb said:
Hi p1,
I think I'm making it harder on myself though because I'm so picky and have little money to work with :look:. And because this is so different from wearing my own hair, I'm very hesitant and sceptical because I look so drastically different in weave hair... I like the way I look though, I just don't wanna appear as you said, pretending it's my real hair. I believe weaves protect your natural hair and allows it to grow while unmanipulated. Member "weaveitup" is natural and puts in her own weaves. I really want my hair to rest and stay away from heat. I also wanna work out more often without worrying about my hair.

Thx B for the suggestion... I have 3 more salons that were recommended. So I guess I need another week to settle on a stylist. That Goddess hair looks so good on you, and I loved it at the store so I'm still gonna see if I can get it. In the meantime, today I got an Outre Quick Weave that I'll start sporting tomorrow... so far good reviews from friends :)... this might be used for grad ceremony #1 which is next week. (pics attached) I'm really amazed at how different it makes me look... my face stands out so well now :yep:. This will def get me ready for the real thing ;).

Thanks for all your suggestions ladies... if there's any more, keep 'em comin' !

Well whatever you decided, I'm sure it'll look great. I know how it is sometimes though. Hair is expensive to keep up period. Being a broke college student this is the first weave I've had in a while. Either I did my own on between or I wore wigs. A sista was broke and my parents paid for this one for me as a graduation present. It'll be in here for a while, though. I'm glad I love this hair. :lol: Before I never wanted to take it out.

Sweetyb

Sweetyb said:
[...]I got an Outre Quick Weave that I'll start sporting tomorrow... so far good reviews from friends :)... this might be used for grad ceremony #1 which is next week. (pics attached) I'm really amazed at how different it makes me look... my face stands out so well now :yep:. This will def get me ready for the real thing ;).

A year later... lol. I loved that Outre quick weave wig so much I bought a second one! They last a good 3-4 mo before it starts becoming hard to maintain with the tangling. but they're so cheap ($25-35) and believable they're worth it.

But now it's time. I'm going to attempt doing my first weave on someone first. That will give me an idea on what weave I should have done for myself, and whether or not I can do it on myself. I will be hair shopping tomorrow for my 1st weave session. If anyone knows how to close the top of a full weave, please let me know!