getting married in August...should i lighten my hair?

tsturnbu

getting married in August...should i lighten my hair? PIC

Hey all,

I am getting married in August in Maui. Right now, my hair is black because I usually rinse my hair with a black rinse every so month. Before i rinse it again (my color has faded now, so my hair is actually dark brown now) I am considering a lighter color to brighten my look on my wedding day since it will be in Maui and an outdoor wedding and reception. My hair was dyed golden bronze when i was younger (and ignorant about hair care) and I got many compliments on the color. Now, with dark hair, I still compliments, but mainly on th health adn lenght....not so much teh color. i think brown may bettr suit me. I dont know. Below is a pic of me with black hair...there are also some of me (cant see my face well though) in my fotki.
My question to you ladies is How light will a rinse get my hair? I dont want to use dye...only a rinse because its safer. I dont want red....something in the light brown family....is it possible with a rinse?

Attachments

• Picture 045.jpg
    Picture 045.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

Kurly K

i say go for ir but i dont thik a rinse can achieve light browns only semi permanent color because i used to go light brown and my stylists used semi permanent because a rinse wouldnt achieve to color i wanted and its not as harsh as permanent...u may just want to look into it first...but black always looks strong andhealthy to me i just went back jet black

mrsjohnson75

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question:blush: but I just wanted to say :congrats: on your upcoming wedding you and your fiance look very nice together :)

Allandra

From what I've read on the forum, a rinse won't allow dark hair to get much lighter.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

:)

*Frisky*

I am no expert but I dont think a rinse will lighten dark hair..I think to go lighter you will have to get it lifted or dyed...how about some highlights in stead of doing your whole head? Congrats on the wedding!!

plastic

Re: getting married in August...should i lighten my hair? PIC

Hey all,

I am getting married in August in Maui. Right now, my hair is black because I usually rinse my hair with a black rinse every so month. Before i rinse it again (my color has faded now, so my hair is actually dark brown now) I am considering a lighter color to brighten my look on my wedding day since it will be in Maui and an outdoor wedding and reception. My hair was dyed golden bronze when i was younger (and ignorant about hair care) and I got many compliments on the color. Now, with dark hair, I still compliments, but mainly on th health adn lenght....not so much teh color. i think brown may bettr suit me. I dont know. Below is a pic of me with black hair...there are also some of me (cant see my face well though) in my fotki.
My question to you ladies is How light will a rinse get my hair? I dont want to use dye...only a rinse because its safer. I dont want red....something in the light brown family....is it possible with a rinse?

oh my you are pretty
you cannot achieve a lighter colour from a rinse alone ... you will have to get a semi perm / permanent colour to lighten.

soonergirl

Congrats!!!! Black hair is my fav, looks sooo healthy!!!...Yep the only way to lighten is through a semi perm color... You look beautiful with dark hair missy!!

DaRealist

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!!!!

Sorry to say, but a rinse will not lighten your hair at all. :nono: The only way to lighten would be to use some product that has peroxide in it and either do your whole head with full color or highlights. I say if you go that route, to go get highlights professionally done in a salon.

Your hair is gorgeous as is, IMO.

hunnybunny81

I think to get the color you want you would have to lift the hair...being that you're relaxed I think you shouldn't go lighter....double processed hair is very very very high maintenance

If you were natural I'd say go ahead, as lightening it would only be one process...and not two(color and relaxer)

I color my relaxed hair, but use rinses..so I'm only depositing color and not stripping color from hair, which is what I'd need to do to go lighter....

I think if you ARE going to go lighter, like another poster said, just maybe do highlights on the top layer....

But personally your hair is gorgeous the way it is!

I've never seen a relaxed head with light color and your length of hair...not saying it can't happen but its hard....

Normally light haired women with length like yours are natural...or have weaves....

RegaLady

You are very pretty, and CONGRATS to you! I NEVER had a great experience with hair color.:nono: When my hair was natural, was the closest it was to being healthy and a color. I LOVE the dark color on you! Although it is a nice change you want, you don't a setback, either!:wallbash:

gymfreak336

Congrats first and foremost!

A rinse won't do it like the other ladies have said.

What you may consider though is getting some highlights added temporarily with weave hair. Done right, it looks extremely natural. Check out Renices fotki. She has a pic in her hair folder with some she did on herself. It was just a couple of pieces but her whole color was brighter.

Starr1

Your current haircolor is beautiful.

I agree with either weaving or highlights- it's a much safer route to experiment with color with out the excessive damage. Remember that less is more. Plus two months before your wedding is not the time to be changing your whole head, you want your wedding photos to be beautiful and classic and not look back at them thinking "What the heck was I thinking?":look:

Keen

A rinse will not ligthten your hair. A semi permanent color will give it a light tone when you're under the sun. That's about it... If that's not good enough for you, I'd say don't do it. You have beautiful hair. A permanent color would mean you have to change your hair care routine to accommodate for the extra dryness.

tsturnbu

Your current haircolor is beautiful.

I agree with either weaving or highlights- it's a much safer route to experiment with color with out the excessive damage. Remember that less is more. Plus two months before your wedding is not the time to be changing your whole head, you want your wedding photos to be beautiful and classic and not look back at them thinking "What the heck was I thinking?":look:

You are right....2 months before the wedding is definitely not the time to experiment with color. Thank you sooo much ladies for your quick responses. looks like i will stick with black. You guys are awesome!

TLC1020

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding :grin:
I wouldn't mess with color especially dye or highlights it's too harsh, I think you should stick with semi-permanent color. Your hair is gorgeous by the way :spinning:

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
Congrate sweetie, you're beautiful!

ITA, w/ not coloring your hair for the upcoming wedding. A rinse won't really life the color...plus it seems that the color would only be for this occasion. You could get a few lighter tracks sewn into your hair to give the illusion of lighlights. This way when you're tired of the color, you can remove them.

Dee-Licious

I've never seen a relaxed head with light color and your length of hair...not saying it can't happen but its hard....

Normally light haired women with length like yours are natural...or have weaves....

blackbarbie, cincysweetie, queen_t, and some others on the board not coming to mind just yet

just letting OP know that it is possible