Get this: a PLAY about PERMS!

hotshot

disclaimer: I am in no way endorsing the use of the term creamy crack, although I am natural--

Copyright Los Angeles Sentinel May 15, 2003
Insanity manifests itself in many mysterious ways. But, did you know that hair could drive you crazy?

In Beverly Aarons' debut play, "Confessions of a Creamy Crack Addict," that's exactly what happens. And on weekends from Friday, May 23 through Sunday, June 15 in The Raven Playhouse, 5233 Lankershim Blvd., North Hollywood, you can watch it happen right before your very eyes.

Taking an in depth, but silly serious look at how one African American woman's obsession with having straight hair impacts her entire life, Aarons explores well known, but little talked about neuroses revolving around black hair.

Beginning at age 16, Aarons main character, Sholanda, becomes totally absorbed with getting and maintaining straight hair. Once exposed to "creamy crack," the terminology used for hair relaxer, Sholanda is led on a life-long hair straightening mania, which renders her oblivious to the negative impact her obsession is having on her or her relationships with others.

"Although the issue of hair is very important in the black community, there haven't been many stories that actually explore the black woman's relationship to her hair," commented Aarons. "Unfortunately, the entertainment industry does not explore black women as whole persons. We only get glimpses of her as a one-dimensional person," she explained. "That's why I decided to write and produce `Confessions of a Creamy Crack Addict," she added.

A Chicago native, Aarons obtained a bachelors degree in Film Video Production from Columbia College there, before she "just got in my car and drove" to Los Angeles in 1997. Her screenplay, "The Chameleon Society," a drama about a secret society of blacks passing for white, soon after netted her the Bill Cosby Screenwriting Award.

"That opened a lot of doors for me," she said, adding, "I met with lots of people - people from HBO, Fox." But ultimately, none of them wanted to produce her work. So she did it herself.

Aarons' decision to tell "true and honest stories that explore every aspect of black women and girls," led to her first founding her company, Image Builders Entertainment, then, her own short stories' website, nappystories.com. And, most recently to her three-act comedy, "Confessions of a Creamy Crack Addict."

After a weekend run in April, "Creamy Crack" returns by popular demand to The Raven Playhouse for a four-week run, at 8:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday evenings, two shows at 3:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. on Sundays, May 23 through June 15. For additional information call (213) 417-8849 or visit the Web site at www.nappystories.com.

Sounds interesting. I checked the website and it looks like they came to Atlanta this summer 2005. I'm not sure because I didn't see a detailed schedule of dates.

Back