FUZZY TWISTS- HOW TO AVOID THEM?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I have been wearing twists for close to a month and my hair is thriving. I am having difficulty in keeping them looking defined. I am wondering if my texture is messing with me. My crown has the roughest texture and it is where the dominant amount of grays are. That part is always fuzzy the next day, no matter how much I try to protect it with a silk bonnet. How do you keep twists in for a week or more without them fuzzing up?:blush:

Ronnieaj

I can't wear twists like I used to, but I tie them down with a scarf and then put a bonnet on top of them. That can really make them lay close to the head, so I'll lightly spritz them in the morning before I get in the shower and the steam will plump them up without them getting fuzzy on me.

Twice a week, I'll spritz the twists and then use either QB BRBC or Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and go over each twist in the direction that they're twisted, which also helps. And because I'm anal about the crown, I redo the crown area twists every 3-4 days.

Whimsy

I wish I knew.

The only way I keep from looking homeless is by using gel on the twists when I'm putting them in.

Since I don't like to use gel too tough, I just end up a frizzmonster in a week.

darlingdiva

My twists end up looking fuzzy quickly because I work out during the weekdays.

My suggestions:

1. Try doing your twists with a pomade (if you're not doing this already)

2. Try banding your twists with an ouchless band that has been soaked in oil (this helps me reduce the fuzzy twists if it's been a week that I haven't been to the gym very much.)

Evolving78

jamaican lime and mango loc and twist gel, or QB honeybush tea gel on damp hair. sleep with a scarf instead of a bonnet.

faithVA

I'm not going to be of any help to you on this one. So far the only time I have had less fuzzy twists, is when I used water/glycerine + KCCC to do my twists.

Vashti

The only thing that helps me is redoing them on the third day. Also, when I redo them sometimes I'll use something heavy like a grease which seems to help.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I use Oyin's burnt sugar pomade to twist and that is working really good. I am already doing what you guys suggested except using Kinky curl custard on my twists. I'll try that next.:grin: I have to look up sister twists on you tube.:yep:

Last edited:

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
TO me fuzz is apart of the natural hair way of life. There is no way to completely avoid it. It is what natural/nappy/afro textured hair does. Over the past 4 years I just learned to embrace the fuzz or I would have drove myself crazy.

Some things that can help to "minimize" it though is to not spray my hair with water based sprays then manipulate my hair. This usually leads to a lot of fuzz. I will do all the manipulating I have to do, then I will spritz it if I must.

I don't sleep with bonnets or anything else on my head. I just use a satin pillowcase

sunnysmyler

For me I find that my twist look really frizzy when I don't use my Kimmay leave-in, also I find that using Flax seed gel that I make myself, makes really nice smooth twist with very little frizz for at least about 4-5 days! I got the flax seed recipe from yt! I love it!

new2haircare

My daughter is natural. What I've realized when doing twists in her hair that large twists usually frizz faster than smaller twist. I twist in small size apply lock and twist gel from organic root stimulator along with my leave ins Kinky curly KNot today and Carol's daughter hair milk. The twist gel has parabens, but I don't care about that. This usually help.

Nonie

I personally don't use anything when I twist. I do however make my twists small and I do twirl each strand about its axis anticlockwise before wrapping them around each other clockwise. This gives me a very firm twist that holds well, but also keeps my hair from tangling even after many washes.

Here is a slow demo of that way of twisting, here is a demo of how easy it is to undo the twists even after many washes because the hairs in each strand are separated from those into the others.

I am not sure how bad your fuzz is OP but I actually love it when my twists look a bit fuzzy. The image below (sorry those of you tired of seeing it) shows fuzzy braids after a month and 8 washes. I liked how my fuzzy twists looked so much hence the reason I took the photo :giggle:

I do find baggying freshens my twists and makes them look as good as new. The baggy causes the fuzz to shrink back into the twists and then the Saran wrap presses on them so that no hair is out of place when I take the baggy off.

This was me baggying after styling my hair for the next day's do:

This was the hair the next morning and all I did was add the hair clip:

darlingdiva

My daughter is natural. What I've realized when doing twists in her hair that large twists usually frizz faster than smaller twist. I twist in small size apply lock and twist gel from organic root stimulator along with my leave ins Kinky curly KNot today and Carol's daughter hair milk. The twist gel has parabens, but I don't care about that. This usually help.

This too! The larger twists do usually frizz faster. I always put smaller twists in my hair for this reason; plus, it gives me a fuller and more defined set.