Funny Anecdote about Staying Married

mango387

This is supposedly a true story that I just heard at a church I visited on Sunday.

The pastor was saying that one of the elderly sisters in the church came to him for counseling. She said that her husband had been drinking excessively for 41 years, and she had done everything she could to discourage him from doing that. She was tired of living with a drunk, so she wanted to divorce him ASAP.

The pastor told her that she took a vow to stay with her husband, so she should honor that vow. The woman respected the pastor and responded "Pastor, if it were anyone but you telling me this, I would be gone." The pastor told her to hang in there and sometimes the latter is greater than the beginning. The lady went on her merry way.

One year later, the lady's husband dies of natural causes. After the funeral, the lady is chauffered to church in a new car. After the services are over, she speaks to the pastor. The woman says that she has been able to buy a new car, pay off her mortgage, travel, etc. Why? She decided to honor her vow and stay married:grin:.

tmichelle

This type of thing is true on so many levels. Abigail and David come to mind right away. We never know what good things God has in store for us when we stick to our promises and submitt to His will. This is a wonderful example of how we try to overthink God and see a shiny piece of fruit and call it better than God's Word.