• hell to the no

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • i really don't care about the biology of my hair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i'll have to look more into that

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Prayin4FullWL2012

Ok so I'm going to school to become a RN and I have learned that the stuff that we scrap off the bottom of our feet is Dead Keratin Cells, they form there because number 1 there dead and number 2 is for protection of our feet. So we buy all these keratin products and our bodies produce it's on keratin. My question is? Do you think that our hair grows as fast as the hard stuff comes on the bottom of our feet? Example let's say we tried a new hair vitamin and we find that we are scraping more of the stuff off the bottom of our feet, do you think that it has some thing to do with our growth rate? Sorry so long

Lol I'm a science geek so I'll bite. Ummmm I don't think so. To me it seems like the bottom of the feet are subjected to more stress (walking, running, jumping ect ) than the strands of our hair. So I think that would make the cell turnover rate higher in the soles of your feet than hair. Even though ure right I think they are the same kind of cells but I don't think certain hair products will have a smiliar affect on the soles of your feet.

Different parts of your body grow hair at different rates and have different "life cycles".

For example, I wish my head hair grew as fast as my leg hair. Shoo... I have to shave every other day. :lol: of course I wouldn't want it to fall out as fast as a leg hair though.

While skin has some similarities to hair, I don't think it's really wise to compare the rate of skin cell renewal to hair growth.

Last edited:
No I'm not talking about the products that we use, I'm looking at the comparison, a lot of women get growth spruts in the summer time thus getting a pedicure every week to every two weeks.

I don't think the human body works like that. It's not like the hair looks at the nails and says "Hold up. Lemme catch up with y'all"

lol, I hope I'm making sense.

Different parts of your body grow hair at different rates and have different "life cycles".

For example, I wish my head hair grew as fast as my leg hair. Shoo... I have to shave every other day. :lol: of course I wouldn't want it to fall out as fast as a leg hair though.

While skin has some similarities to hair, I don't think it's really wise to compare the rate of skin cell renewal to hair growth.

Everyother day? Try TWICE a day!! :wallbash:OT

Carry on....

I am a RN, and I can respectfully say this makes no sense...

The skin and the hair follicles are both rapidly dividing cells that grow at different rates at different times. Cellular turnover rate of the skin on the hands and feet, is not directly related to the cellular turnover rate in our hair follicles.

The increased sloughing of the skin on any part of the body could be due to many factors including increased friction, time of year, and types of conditions or medications.

The skin and the hair follicles are both rapidly dividing cells that grow at different rates at different times. Cellular turnover rate of the skin on the hands and feet, is not directly related to the cellular turnover rate in our hair follicles.

The increased sloughing of the skin on any part of the body could be due to many factors including increased friction, time of year, and types of conditions or medications.

You said this much better than I could at this moment. lol

i'm going to second this:

Skin though related to Hair and Nails functions in a different way, as stated above, friction time of year etc affect skin in a different way than it affects hair and nails.

In fact those callouses are there because of the amount of stress feet are exposed to. On the other hand the more stress you put on your hair, the less you will have.

Nails are more closely related to hair, (like did you know a rhinoceros's horn
and most horns on animals are virtually identical in structure to hair, just at a much larger scale?) because of the similar nature in nail and hair structure, as well as growth patterns those are usually linked much more closely than skin.

Also your skin is one large organ, so you would have to have build up all over your body in order to really be measuring your average rate of cell regeneration/ growth as opposed to the areas that suffer the most stress.

Back