For You 2 Week To Once A Month Washers....

pookaloo83

Your hair don't get a lil funky?! :lol: I want to wash my hair less. I was once a week. But I want to go up to 2 weeks. But my crown area where the sun beats on the most sometimes smells sour. Not stink, but just my hair smells a lil dirty. So I end up washing again. How do you combat this? Also, I feel a little self conscious sometimes because people stand over me a lot at work while I'm sitting and I feel like they may smell my hair.:perplexed

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
i wish i knew. my hair thrives when i wash every 2 weeks or so but my scalp funk is not the business so i have to wash every 3-4 days.:nono: i feel like my scalp produces waaay too much sebum.

lesedi

All is well with me
what about product buildup? When my hair gets a bit longer, i want to wash less too but i find that i have to wash often to get rid of residue. Is a no-cone regimen neccesary when you wash less frequently?

AlliCat

I wish I knew too...after a few days my scalp gets itchy but my hair is fine for weeks before I need to use wash again...maybe they don't put any product on their scalp?

Ms Lala

what about product buildup? When my hair gets a bit longer, i want to wash less too but i find that i have to wash often to get rid of residue. Is a no-cone regimen neccesary when you wash less frequently?

Maybe that is the key. I don't use alot of product during the week. I moisturize as needed. I don't put anything on my scalp really other than a medicated treatment I sometimes use. I use oil on my hair to seal but it's rather light and I keep heavier products like shea butter for my ends.

Aireen

My hair smells sour after 3 days, especially if the conditioner is not strongly fragranced. I hate the smell, to me it's stink... :look:

mg1979

I do cone free and I still feel I gotta wash every 4-7 days.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

LaFemmeNaturelle

My scalp doesn't stink unless I do a rigorous workout. I also don't put anything on my scalp except shampoo and i don't moisturize daily so I don't get buildup. If you are sweating in your head then there may be no way around the smell. You could try dry shampoos or Dab witch hazel or acv on your scalp.

Urban

I don't use much product either. I hardly ever put products near my scalp. Even when I condition. There's never much product near my roots. I moisturize as needed, and again pretty much only apply product towards the ends. Every now and then I'll put some oil on my scalp, but very, very little though.

newbeginnings2010

My scalp doesn't stink unless I do a rigorous workout. I also don't put anything on my scalp except shampoo and i don't moisturize daily so I don't get buildup. If you are sweating in your head then there may be no way around the smell. You could try dry shampoos or Dab witch hazel or acv on your scalp.

I don't use much product either. I hardly ever put products near my scalp. Even when I condition. There's never much product near my roots. I moisturize as needed, and again pretty much only apply product towards the ends. Every now and then I'll put some oil on my scalp, but very, very little though.

I agree with most of these two quotes. I don't have issues with stinky hair/scalp and I wash every three weeks. I mostly do light workouts (crunches, squats, light weights, leg lifts, etc.), and it is rare that a product reaches my roots. I really only moisturize and seal my ends as needed (MAYBE every other day or so). I don't put any oil on my roots though. I feel my roots are okay on their own.

iri9109

i havent washed my hair in over a week...my hair doesnt stink, but i def have product residue on my hair from moisturizing everyday...a few days ago i rinsed my hair (but not really my scalp) lightly with water, and i felt that kinda reactivated the product i put in my hair recently, so i'm thinking maybe instead of moisturizing and applying product everyday, i could moisturize one day, then rinse the next, then moisturize the next, etc. to cut down on build up...i used to cowash everyday or every other day, then i switched to washing once a week and cowashing once mid-week, but now i'm thinking about just washing once every 7-10 days b/c i've been kinda busy, plus i like how stretched my hair gets throughout the week.

Junebug D

I don't put anything on my scalp either but mine still gets funky after 4-5 days. I wish I could go longer between shampoos too. :(

Napp

Ms. Nobody
for me it all depends on what products i use. i usually dont moisturize daily and will grease/oil my scalp every few days.i am also a scalp sweater. i can only go 3 weeks max though since i like to wear my hair loose.

luckiestdestiny

witch hazel will cleanse the scalp, light on the products, and also use dry shampoo in between (that's what I do when my hair is flat ironed, I use dry shampoo). Or if I'm in braids I may dab my scalp with witch hazel after a workout. Currently weaved up (hoping to bipass wl which I was almost towards in jan onward to my next goal as fast as possible through ps) so I'm not doing anything but washing every 2 weeks like normal

NaturalBoss

I would love to only wash my hair once every 3-4 weeks but that just seems dirty to me. My hair never stinks but I think my head is the same as any other body part and needs to be washed frequently. For this reason I co-wash at least 5-7 times per week. I like to always smell like I just got out of the shower and I like my hair to always smell like it's just been washed. I realize this does not work for everyone.

Forever in Bloom

I have done a month long protective style many times before, BUT, I have to clean my scalp at least 2 times a month with a dry shampoo for my own sanity.

However, some of the products that act as a dry shampoo do just that; they tend to dry the scalp and hair out because of the alcohol in the product, so I use them sparingly.

The funny thing is I don't get stinky scalp unless my hair is straightened. When I straighten my hair, whew boy! In about two days, I have to wear my hair up because if it's down... yikes.

Imagine my surprise when I went natural and found that my hair didn't get that odor it normally got. I think it had something to do with the sebum traveling down the hair shaft more when it was relaxed.

I have gone 3 weeks without washing and my scalp still doesn't get stinky.

-PYT

I have this problem too, pookaloo83. Always have as long as i can remember. Washing my hair is such a job, so it's a real drag :(

I try to rub sea breeze all over my scalp after about a week, but two weeks is my limit anyway. my hair doesn't stink, but my scalp is the culprit. Selsun blue medicated helped since it supposedly kills the bacteria on the scalp :yep:

Miss*Tress

The funny thing is I don't get stinky scalp unless my hair is straightened. When I straighten my hair, whew boy! In about two days, I have to wear my hair up because if it's down... yikes.

Imagine my surprise when I went natural and found that my hair didn't get that odor it normally got. I think it had something to do with the sebum traveling down the hair shaft more when it was relaxed.

I have gone 3 weeks without washing and my scalp still doesn't get stinky.
Same here - when I was relaxed I had to wash twice a week to keep my scalp and hair clean and fresh. Now as a natural I wash every 2-3 weeks in winter and as needed in summer.

pookaloo83

Thanks guys! I'm gonna get the sitch hazel and/or sea breeze. Just like iri9109 my hair seems better when I spritz a little water on my head. My hair doesn't stink but my scalp just smells not clean after about a week. But just in the crown. :lol: I hate to wash my hair alllllllll over again just because of that one spot, so I'm just gonna start dabbing it with witch hazel going into the second week. :yep: And see how that works.

Geminigirl

my problem is not my scalp or products. Say I blow dry and im wearing a big puff, if someone cooks, you know that fried stuff, clings to my hair and develops an odor. I try to go two go two werks when blowdryed but that rarely happens without funk.

Fhrizzball

So after reading this thread I'm going to try keeping my wash in go in for two weeks. I usually cowash weekly so it's just not having water running through my hair for so long and not detangling that has me anxious. Wish me luck!

LovelyNaps26

Usually i wash every week but i forsee this being the last year. at this point it's just too much hair for me to manage every week. Exhibit A

I recommend find the best cleanser you can. I have found that shampoo bars clean my scalp well such that after 1 week my scalp is pretty clean. mind you, i normally get dandruff. other than that a really good moisturizer keeps the length of my hair moisturized until the next wash.

LaFemmeNaturelle

Usually i wash every week but i forsee this being the last year. at this point it's just too much hair for me to manage every week. Exhibit A

I recommend find the best cleanser you can. I have found that shampoo bars clean my scalp well such that after 1 week my scalp is pretty clean. mind you, i normally get dandruff. other than that a really good moisturizer keeps the length of my hair moisturized until the next wash.

That's exactly why I try to wash as infrequently as I can. It's just too much hair and too time consuming to do weekly. Wash days make me want to run back to the relaxer:nono:

Fhrizzball

Has anyone had any experience with foam shampoos and how to they compare with other types of dry shampoos?

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I cut down from washing every week to washing every 2 weeks. Since I discovered Trader Joe's tea tree tingle, I don't have to shampoo as much. Even though it's a conditioner, the ingredients seem to keep my scalp fresh.

I don't feel as if the scalp is the same as everywhere else...The places that get the funkiest are where our glands are...pits and privates. If your leg or back emits a smell on its own then we have a serious problem.