Flat, "blah" braidouts

yamilee21

I never liked doing braidouts because I never thought they "looked right" on me. But I decided to give it another try, since so many of you here get pretty results. I did four braids with some leave-in conditioner and the ends sealed with castor oil, and it came out just as unpleasant as I remembered (sorry, no pics). Basically, it looks like my regular "wash and go" hair, but FLAT - no volume, no bounce, no life. The part that doesn't make any sense is that I always feel that my wash and go hair would be pretty with less volume and less poof, but the braidout does just that, it takes away the volume and poof, yet my hair looks lifeless and limp. Does that happen to anyone else, braidouts flattening all the volume from your head?

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Definitely try doing more braids. The more braids, the more volume you'll have. I always do about 10 braids :)

Eisani

Are you relaxed or natural? Are you doing them on soaking wet hair? I find that doing them on damp hair opposed to soaking wet gives more volume. You can also try flipping your head/hair over and kind of volumizing the roots w/the tips of your fingers. Rub your scalp in there like you're shampooing or giving yourself a scalp massage.

Last edited:

tiffers

Are you relaxed or natural? Are you doing them on soaking wet hair? I find that dong them on damp hair opposed to soaking wet gives more volume. You can also try flipping your head/hair over and kind of volumizing the roots w/the tips of your fingers. Rub your scalp in there like you're shampooing or giving yourself a scalp massage.

Damp hair, you say? :scratchch Imma have to try that!

The flipping your head over tip is a good one. I always do that without even thinking about it. It's just a natural reflex "undo hair, flip head over, massage scalp, fluff hair out, throw head back" :lol:

Eisani

Damp hair, you say? :scratchch Imma have to try that!

The flipping your head over tip is a good one. I always do that without even thinking about it. It's just a natural reflex "undo hair, flip head over, massage scalp, fluff hair out, throw head back" :lol:
I found it's what works best for me. I never like my results when I twist or braid soaking wet hair. Maybe because it takes so long for my hair to dry and it's always damp when I take it down which leads to even more limpness (i.e., stretched hair I could've got from banding).

yamilee21

I'm very much natural. My hair was about half-way air-dried when I braided. I've always been afraid of flipping my head - I can just see the tangles forming at the thought, :lol:. But I'll try it next time, along with more braids. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Whimsy

Definitely do more than 4 braids. The smaller the braid, the higher up on the shaft the curl pattern will start.... I only do 4 braids when I plan on wearing it pulled 1/2 up or in a headband.

Soliel185

I agree that more braids are needed, and damp hair is the way to go. I usually spray my dry hair with moisture mix or water and then add my products from there.

Also, how are you doing the braids? Do you separate into 4 large sections and then just plait the hair, or do you braid it against the scalp (like a cornrow) and then plait the remainder?

If you can cornrow at all, try doing 5 rows going straight back. B/c the hair is braided towards the back, it will have more volume and braiding it against the scalp will give you more texture. :yep:

yamilee21

More braids was exactly what I needed. I tried it again today with 9 braids - not cornrows because I can't do those on my own head anymore without making a tangled mess. My hair was still a little damp when I took them out because I had to go somewhere, but it looked so much better this time. Thanks ladies! :grin:

I was able to take a picture when I got home, after getting caught in the rain twice, so it doesn't look as nice as when I had just taken them out. But you get the idea. ;)

Last edited:

Wildkat08

More braids was exactly what I needed. I tried it again today with 9 braids - not cornrows because I can't do those on my own head anymore without making a tangled mess. My hair was still a little damp when I took them out because I had to go somewhere, but it looked so much better this time. Thanks ladies! :grin:

Yamilee, I'm so glad that u started this thread, b/c I did my first braid-out last night and I felt the EXACT same way as u about it :sad:. I did 4 braids, and i think it turned out volumeless because my crown was flattened. I was thinking abt trying to to braid the way I rollerset next time (mohawk of braids down the middle) so i could hopefully get some volume in the crown area. I also think I used way too much product, ugghhhh... who knows! :wallbash:

Where did u place the 9 braids?

lonelysky

Baby Chick Gate 2011
do you secure the hair toward the top of the scalp (like with a ponytail holder)? Also, how do you secure the ends?

tiffers

That's GREAT!!!! :pepper:

yamilee21

do you secure the hair toward the top of the scalp (like with a ponytail holder)? Also, how do you secure the ends?

I did not secure it this time, though I probably will next time, since I always have the top part of my hair in a barrette, and putting a ponytail holder will smooth out that part. I rolled the ends on rollers this time, and I will probably continue to do that.