Fine haired ladies... Braids???

Amour

Hey guys! Was just wondering whether any fine haired ladies succesfully maintained healthy hair and retained length whilst in braids? I have fine hair but im considering braids after a few henna treatments. Im planning on gettin pencil sized individuals but v. aprehensive of setbacks. Your tips/ suggestions/ thoughts appreciated.

Faith

I have fine strands but medium density and I have been in and out of braids for years. I'm currently sporting braids again. My advice:
Do not do the hairline too tight
Wash every 10-14 days (1x/week if possible)
Moisturize daily (hard one for me to remember)
Redo every 6-8 weeks
Do not use anything undiluted like shampoo and conditioner
And last but not least..enjoy ;)

ReeseNicole

hey, sorry for responding to your post so late. I have fine hair and right now i'm in kinky twists. Braids are possible to maintain with this hair texture, but be set on redoing your edges every two weeks. If your hair's like mine, there is probably going to be major frizz after any type of wash, so moisturize and ALWAYS make sure to wrap your braids up at night in a silk scarf so they'll last longer.

Nonie

I'd like to add, use less additional hair than each section of your own. And if in doubt, don't add hair to the hairline. Using your own hair could make some bangs which could be twists or braids (I preferred twists myself).

Oh one more thing, redo your braids as soon as you can when they need it. Leaving them on when they're dangling painfully can lead to breakage.

Last edited:

dede1174

I would agree w/ other posters, redo the hairline every 2 weeks. braids, while awesome in transitioning, wrecked havoc on my hairline. my hair is soooo thin you can see my scalp... which is one of the reasons why i went natural in the 1st place.

stay away from microssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, they are HORRIBLE!!!!:nono::nono::nono::nono: