Fine Hair vs. Thin Hair?

inthepink

As I've been transitioning, I've noticed sections of my hair that seemed thin. After much analyzing and freaking out, I determined that it may only be fine hair in those sections and not thin hair. The strands feel finer/silkier than my other hair and straightens out almost completely on its own. I've lifted and separated and it's the only conclusion I can come to. There's no evidence of hair thinning in my family - men nor women.

But really, how do you know the truth? And why is it only apparent now that I'm transitioning and not when I was relaxed (or hardly even when I straighten). Could my bad relaxer have torn out some of my hair follicles? And if that's the case, why have I only noticed it in the past 4 months?

Any ideas, anyone? (I have a whole section in my photo album on this section of hair if anyone's interested.) I'd just like to hear some opinions so I can stop obsessing.

TinyT

Hairlove,

I have been thinking about this for months now. I chopped my hair in January 2003, and my hair seems to be growing in thick, but there are spots of the left and right side of my crown, that are signifigantly thin. When I part the hair, the parts seem a little larger, and the hair that has grown in that area, is finer and silkier by the strand. The difference is huge. A strand in that spot may be as fine as a babies, while strands at the back of my head are as strong and thick as dental floss (no exageration).

I never noticed this when my hair was relaxed. I am not sure if the difference is more apparent, because my natural hair is thick and dense in most parts, and compared to that the crown seems thin. I have been concerned about it. For now I am just trying to massage that area to see if it will thicken up over time. I am trying not to obsess, but it does really concern me too.

Chipmunk

I too, have areas of my hair that are finer than the others and are like how you ladies describe. I believe that it is simply a different hair texture in that section.

Hairlove, is it possible you didn't notice that section before b/c it was all straight?

inthepink

Chipmunk,

That is the only thing I can think of, too...and as my new growth came in, it was obviously thicker. So, maybe b/c now I have over 5 inches of new growth, I am getting a clear picture of that section...I guess only time will tell.

Edited to say that: What I mean by 'obviously thicker' - is that new growth while I relaxed regularly was obviously thicker than the old relaxed hair thus preventing me from seeing if there was thinness/fine hair...esp when the hair has to grow "out" a bit before it goes "down."

inthestars

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
As I've been transitioning, I've noticed sections of my hair that seemed thin. After much analyzing and freaking out, I determined that it may only be fine hair in those sections and not thin hair. The strands feel finer/silkier than my other hair and straightens out almost completely on its own. I've lifted and separated and it's the only conclusion I can come to. There's no evidence of hair thinning in my family - men nor women.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going through the same thing. Relaxing obviously changes the shape of the hair follicle. Hair that grows after you stop relaxing is going to be different.