Fine Hair Ladies-Is it a good idea to layer cut?

Good Idea to layer cut fine hair?

• You Go Girl

Votes: 39 36.1%
  • You Better Not Girl

Votes: 69 63.9%

• Total voters

bronzehair

i agree with everyone else say NO to the layers especially if your hair is very fine i swear my ponytails sometimes look like they consist of like 100 strands

la flaca

If you don't mind growing your hair uneven, go ahead but it will be so hard to have a straight look again, the only way is cutting all the layers off.

I wouldn't do it (again):huh:

asubeauty

Okay, I know that at first I said that layers aren't a good idea, but I got layers cut in my fine hair and I love them. I started a thread about it, too.

bablou00

My hair is so may lengths and when I used to let people cut my hair they would try to even up the layers. I have layers every where and I find it harder to grow. My bun looks suspect sometimes because I have pieces sticking out all over the place. I think if you are trying to grow your hair out you might want to grow it out one length first then do layers down the road. I cant wait to be one length but to stubborn to cut my hair even

SimpleKomplexity

My hair was very limp, boring, and thin. I hated to get a roller wrap, because even with it my hair looked thin and unnatural. I cut it into about 3 long layers and I love it! It makes my hair bouncier, and thicker and when I get wraps it looks much fuller than before! I say go for it! :yep:

tbaby_8

I have fine hair and I have alot of layers and IMHO it makes my hair look fuller. I love them. My hair looks fuller and full of body. I recommend it.:lachen:

JusPhabulous40

long layers will work....be really clear about what you want...

I agree-my hair is really fine and I have long layers (my hair is ALMOST BSL). The long layers give me a more full appearance. Just a word of caution- I would only allow someone to cut my hair that I really trust! There a lot of stylists that really don't know what long layers are and you might walk away with fine and substantially shorter hair if you don't drill them really well before you allow them to pull out the scissors. I would really watch them cut a few heads before I let them come near mine....

Good luck!

silverlotus

I think layers have more to do with the density than how fine/coarse your actual strands are. IMO layers aren't nice on thin hair cuz then you end up with stringy looking ends. I see it a lot on Asian girls on campus... not a good look :nono:.

On average density & higher it gives the hair a nice, full look IMO. Rollersets look great too. I got layers done early last year & my hair looked really nice w/ a lot of movement & body. They've grown out now, though.

syze6

My hair is fine and I love my long layers. I did appear thin ath the bottom because the length was taken from the top. As it grew out, it looked better and I love the shape and style of layers. My hair was all one length and I got layers to give it some fullness. I will never return to all one length. I love the look of nmy hair when I get a roller wrap!

hairmaster

I'm afraid of the razor. I had a stylist use it once and I had so many splits!!! You don't get more splits that usual with a razor???

You can get splits from the razor if they don't you a good sharp blade.You can do just like the video shows on you tube. layers can add volume.

charmtreese

SAY NOOOOOOOO!!! It took me forever to grow my layers out. I have fine hair and layers just caused more problems...they made my hair appear thinner at the ends because my hair is fine and only medium density...so my very last layer was ubber thin. Also my hair tangled more when I had layers making it harder for me to retain length.

soulie

SAY NOOOOOOOO!!! It took me forever to grow my layers out. I have fine hair and layers just caused more problems...they made my hair appear thinner at the ends because my hair is fine and only medium density...so my very last layer was ubber thin. Also my hair tangled more when I had layers making it harder for me to retain length.

She is SO right!! I'm growing out layers now; in December, I'm getting it blunt cut for all the reasons she has stated.

SparkleDoll

I think layers have more to do with the density than how fine/coarse your actual strands are. IMO layers aren't nice on thin hair cuz then you end up with stringy looking ends. I see it a lot on Asian girls on campus... not a good look :nono:.

On average density & higher it gives the hair a nice, full look IMO. Rollersets look great too. I got layers done early last year & my hair looked really nice w/ a lot of movement & body. They've grown out now, though.

I agree. Fine haired ladies with medium to thick hair can rock layers with no problem. But thin hair whether it is coarse or fine looks better all one length.

I love my layers. It makes my hair look really full. My styles look 100% better when my hair is layered, but be sure to ask for long layers.

shelleywj

Hello,
I have fine hair and for a very long time I was wearing layers both short and long. For the first time ever I went and got my hair cut blunt yesterday on the ends and shortened my bangs and I'm loving for 2 reasons.
1. With layers, my hair looked thin and the layers just seemed to weight it down further.
2. The blunt cut does give me more movement and body.

The other thing is that I've followed alot of forums that preach about moisturizing. I was putting too much moisture on my hair, especially the ends and my hair wasn't moving at all. Now I'm using a very light oil and only when I need it, and I use a dime size amount of product for shine..only when needed.

You can use whatever product you like, but just try not to weight it down!

charmtreese

Fine hair looks good with side bangs, but that's it.

I agree with this 100 percent. I think side bangs look great with fine hair!!!

Hello,
I have fine hair and for a very long time I was wearing layers both short and long. For the first time ever I went and got my hair cut blunt yesterday on the ends and shortened my bangs and I'm loving for 2 reasons.
1. With layers, my hair looked thin and the layers just seemed to weight it down further.
2. The blunt cut does give me more movement and body.

The other thing is that I've followed alot of forums that preach about moisturizing. I was putting too much moisture on my hair, especially the ends and my hair wasn't moving at all. Now I'm using a very light oil and only when I need it, and I use a dime size amount of product for shine..only when needed.

You can use whatever product you like, but just try not to weight it down!

I have found that out too. Using too much product can cause fine hair to go limp real fast. Also heavy products on fine hair can cause the hair to break since its being weighed down and pulled on. A little bit of product goes a long way on fine hair!:yep: