Ever heard of Lecithin???

CarLiTa

I decided to go on a high protein diet. Well I decided that since Summer 2004 mainly because I was exercising a lot and protein is good for muscles. So, I decided to do so again, starting May *hopefully* and TRY to keep it up throughout the summer. This brought me to do some research, and I came across LECITHIN a lot today, while researching online. This is what I extracted from the articles:

Some nutritional experts suggest the dietary utilization of calves liver, brewer's yeast, wheat germ and a daily dose of two tablespoons of granulated lecithin to maximize hair growth, strength and beauty.

What it is:
Lecithin is a fatlike substance called a phospholipid. It is produced daily by the liver if the diet is adequate. It is needed by every cell in the body and is a key building block of cell membranes; without it, they would harden. Lecithin protects cells from oxidation and largely comprises the protective sheaths surrounding the brain. It is composed mostly of B vitamins, phosphoric acid, choline, linoleic acid and inositol. Although it is a fatty substance, it is also a fat emulsifier. Hence, it supports the circulatory system. Its choline is useful for making acetylcholine. Nature's Sunshine Lecithin is derived from soybeans and is hermetically sealed in capsules. No carrier has been added, and freshness is guaranteed.

Is it good for you?
Lecithin is good for you. How good? Each tablespoon (7.5 grams) of lecithin granules contains about 1700 mg of phosphatidyl choline, 1000 mg of phosphatidyl inositol, and about 2,200 mg of essential fatty acids as linoleic acid. It also contains the valuable fish-oil-like, omega-3 linolenic acid . It is the rule, not the exception, for one or more of these valuable substances to be undersupplied by our daily diet.

What does it do?
As it supports fat metabolism and has been shown to aid in bringing down high blood cholesterol levels, lecithin can be considered a food component that protects against heart attack and stroke. Choline also is a part of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. A sufficient intake of choline, primarily via the consumption of lecithin, is believed to have a positive effect on some mental functions, especially those connected to memory. As mentioned above, lecithin is among the best sources of choline. Lecithin that is sold as supplement has usually been extracted from soy beans. Another prime source of lecithin is egg yolk . Choline is manufactured by the body from the amino acid glycine.

Other:
Lecithin can be naturally consumed through a diet including lecithin rich foods such as egg yolk, soybeans, grains, wheat germ, fish, legumes, yeast, and peanuts, to name a few. Lecithin supplements are sold to the public in capsule, powder or granular form. Lecithin is usually taken in a pill form or mixed into health shakes. Many companies advertise their supplies of lecithin as a dietary supplement on the web.

Some hair growth supplement:
GUEYE MOTHER NATURE'S BEST HAIR GROWTH L-30 (HAIR CAPSULES)
This herbal combination contains so many Vitamins, Minerals, and Amino Acids and other nutrients that it helps hair grow healthier and much faster. the capsules provide many nutrients which we are not receiving from the foods we eat. L-30 also contains Fatty Acids, Enzymes, Lecithin and other nutrients which accelerate hair growth. This product is also good for the following concerns: anemia, arthiris, energy, depression, vitamin and mineral deficiency, fatigue and much more.

Trigonella foenum-graecum (Fenugreek, Medhika) prevents hair fall and promotes hair growth. It contains lecithin and other useful proteins, which help in hair growth.

----------------------------------

So... with all this... don't you think it would be good? Because I've read that a lot of you are taking wheatgerm and have proven that eating a lot of eggs will increase your growth rate, and since Lecithin is found in the egg yok and many other protein-rich foods, would you take it? I"m seriously considering it! I would buy:

BAILEYSCREAM

Hi Carlita, I didn't read the whole lot, but Lecithin is a fat emulsifier meaning it helps water based substances and fat to mix together.

Yes, it is high in protein.

Lecithin can also be used successfully for weight loss. A friend of a friend lost substantial weight by incorporating lecithin granules into her diet daily.

Dolapo

i think my protein shake is making me gain some weight. i may have to get this lecithin instead.....i remember i used to take flintstones multi, cod liver oil and lecithin and my naturla hair was very long.....those good old days.......

bajanplums1

HELL YES--LOVE IT!! I first discoverd it bc it is in Aphogee Essential Fatty Acids Oil Concentrate, so I looked it up on line. I have been taking supplements for about 1 month. I love that it also has choline & inositol on top of the fatty acids.

GinnyP

Hey B,
How is it helping you? are you losing weight? making your hair grow? please let us know why you really like it. Thanks

Dolapo

but....will it make one lose weight? i dont need to lose anymore more weight cos i already look like an anorexic

LadyZ

Dolapo said:
but....will it make one lose weight? i dont need to lose anymore more weight cos i already look like an anorexic

I take it everyday and I have not lost a pound....