Ever had someone tell you to pray for them, but won't tell you why?

foxxymami

Someone asked me to pray for their mom and mom's boss. And I asked "what happened?" (as in, what am I praying for). And their like,:naughty:"Foxxy, now that's just you being nosy."

It kinda hurt my feelings because they'd think I'm just trying to be nosy instead of realizing that I want to pray specifically about whatever the issue is.

IDK, am I tripping? Is it necessary to know what you are praying for when someone says to pray for them?

1god1

Someone asked me to pray for their mom and mom's boss. And I asked "what happened?" (as in, what am I praying for). And their like,:naughty:"Foxxy, now that's just you being nosy."

It kinda hurt my feelings because they'd think I'm just trying to be nosy instead of realizing that I want to pray specifically about whatever the issue is.

IDK, am I tripping? Is it necessary to know what you are praying for when someone says to pray for them?

No...I don't think it's necessary. I also don't think it's you being nosy. Sometimes someone/minister/pastor, etc will stand up and ask prayer for a "situation"....they won't go into detail, but the saints pray. Some things are sensitive and some saints can't be trusted. If the person who asks you for prayer trust enough to get a pray through.....just pray. Maybe if the situation changes and they feel comfortable...they will tell you about it. You just believe and pray and let God work it out.

klb120475

I usually ask if they feel comfortable with sharing with me in more detail the area they need prayer in. If they don't, that's fine. I still pray for them and then I allow the utterance of the Spirit to intercede for them on their behalf.:yep:

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Alot of times you don't need to know what you are praying for to be effective. In fact at times it's best not to know so that you are objective in what you are praying for which most times should be that God's Will be done in the situation. If you know what you are praying about you may lean towards on way or another. Just start prayer. God knows what is going on and he is the only one that counts.

PaperClip

I think a "safer" way to inquire is to say "is there something specific you'd like me to pray about?".... I think that's a non-intrusive way to ask....

Foxxy, I'm not saying you were being intrusive at all.... Your question made sense.... But even the person's reaction should indicate that the situation may still be raw or that the person isn't ready or able to articulate their concerns just yet....

The Holy Spirit will lead and guide on how and what to pray.... Thank the Lord for your willingness to serve in intercession....

MizzBrown

Yeah but you could be praying that they get financed for that new car they wanted or that their husband won't come home again drunk and beat her unconscious again....I think i would need to know!

My pastor would tell us that when someone approached you and asked you to pray for them, u should ask them back "well, are your praying for yourself??" Some people don't. They expect everyone else to do it for them. LOL He would say, "Don't be lazy, pray for yourself first!"

SEMO

I've had countless people ask me to pray but didn't want to tell me specifically why they wanted prayer (I was in a prayer ministry for a number of years).

The way I look at it is, pray how you feel led. I don't mind people not wanting to tell me their whole life story and all the details just to get prayer, but they also have to realize that I'm not going to lay out on the altar crying and sweating and praying for every prayer request.

Some people will throw that "prayer warrior" title on you and expect you to be able to divine everything they need prayer on without being asked. I've had some people ask me to pray for them (when I was praying out loud with them) but they wouldn't give me anything to pray for ("just pray as the Spirit leads you") and I could tell that they were just trying to test me (or God).

I don't mind praying without a specific "topic" given to me by someone but the only thing I won't do is "agree" with someone in prayer on something without knowing what it is. I've had people who wanted me to agree with something they were praying for but wouldn't tell me what :perplexed. For all I know they could have been praying for someone's downfall.

foxxymami

Thank you all for your insight :kiss:

I think I'll use that next time: "..is there something specific you need prayer about?" :yep:

Thanks again ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1