Drycleaning your hair

Everything Zen

Any thoughts or ideas about drycleaning the hair? It supposed to be a way just to cleanse the scalp and maybe remove some oil if you don't want to wash your hair for a few more days. I have a wake to go to tonight and then I'm picking up my BF tomorrow morning from the airport so I don't have time to do my hair for a while. Any suggestions on how to do this? :look:

InnerSoul

never heard of this..

this reminds me of that thread someone had yesterday about using a fabric softener for hair:look: which that one caught me by surprise too.

Everything Zen

The woman who runs the C&G site talked about this a long time ago but now there is no information up on her site.

PeggyFair

Yes, I have heard of this. You use some type of powdery concoction that lifts the oil and dirt from the hair. From what I recall, this was something that is only used when you didn't have access to water/shampoo, like if you were camping deep in the woods and stuff like that.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I have seen some no water or no rinse shampoos in the BSS in the past. Is this what you are talking about?

Everything Zen

I have seen some no water or no rinse shampoos in the BSS in the past. Is this what you are talking about?

That's exactly it. I just don't have time to do my hair until Thursday and I want to freshen up a little bit if possible. I see that Walgreens has two brands for no rinse dry shampoos:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...mp&navCount=8&skuid=sku3663892&id=prod3665046

http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...jump&navCount=7&skuid=sku394044&id=prod394043

I'll try to find either one today and write a review. :yep:

PinkPebbles

That's exactly it. I just don't have time to do my hair until Thursday and I want to freshen up a little bit if possible. I see that Walgreens has two brands for no rinse dry shampoos:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...mp&navCount=8&skuid=sku3663892&id=prod3665046

http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...jump&navCount=7&skuid=sku394044&id=prod394043

I'll try to find either one today and write a review. :yep:

Wow, first time reading about this....please let us know how this works out for you!

MrsQueeny

never heard of this..

this reminds me of that thread someone had yesterday about using a fabric softener for hair:look: which that one caught me by surprise too.

Girl me too. I thought it was a joke at first.

OP I saw this stuff in Sally's once that you can put on your scalp and then brush it out to clean it. I don't remember the name but I think folks with dreds use it. Q

StarFish106

Back in the day there was a product called Pssssssst that was instant hair shampoo

Directions:
Shake can well. Hold can 6" to 8" from hair. Lift sections of hair and lightly spray scalp and roots of each section. Fluff. Wait a few minutes, then brush hair well. Style hair as desired.If button clogs, rinse under stream of cold water.

Ingredients:

Isobutane, SD Alcohol 40, Aluminum Starch Octenyl Succinate, Propane, Cyclomethicone, Fragrance

Is this what you meant?

babyblue

Back in the day a great trick I learned to "clean" the hair without water was to take a boar bristle brush and an old clean pair of stockings or knee hi's. You would put the brush inside the hosiery and brush through the hair in sections. You wouldn't believe how much the stockings pick up! all sorts of dust, lint, dirt, oils etc. When one section of the stocking gets soiled, you adjust the brush inside the hose to a clean section and repeat. It worked well for me when i was an every 3 week washer and wanted my hair to look fresh.

Everything Zen

Back in the day a great trick I learned to "clean" the hair without water was to take a boar bristle brush and an old clean pair of stockings or knee hi's. You would put the brush inside the hosiery and brush through the hair in sections. You wouldn't believe how much the stockings pick up! all sorts of dust, lint, dirt, oils etc. When one section of the stocking gets soiled, you adjust the brush inside the hose to a clean section and repeat. It worked well for me when i was an every 3 week washer and wanted my hair to look fresh.

I'm sorry but the only thing this reminds me of is my childhood memories of my mom scratching up all of my dandruff every week becasue somehow the brush did a better job of it like that. :nono: Luckily that problem has been much more manageable thanks the LHCF.

Everything Zen

Dry cleaning product review:

Okay so I only found one kind of dry shampoo at 3 different Walgreens in my area even though it says they carry 2 online. Here is the one I tried:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...jump&navCount=0&skuid=sku394044&id=prod394043

I only decided to use it due to my increased interest in daily scalp massages. Even though I only use a little amla lite mixed with peppermint EO on my fingertips, I could really feel the light oily texture of my hair and my scalp was getting itchy (I just got a fresh relaxer after 3 months last Saturday so I'm having a hard time letting go and doing that first wash) :look:

Not to mention I had a funeral to attend today and I have to pick up my BF from the airport tommorow morning so I don't have time to do my hair until Thursday basically. At any rate, I wanted to check this out. This one only cost me 3.99 at Walgreens. I used only a little bit because I read up on it online and dry shampoos can leave hair very dull looking. Nonetheless, it relieved all of the oily heaviness. In fact I think it could've made my hair super dry if I used more. It also helped to curb the itchy scalp and made my hair and scalp smell fresher...

Not washed-with-good-smelling-shampoo-fresh but there is no unwashed hair/scalp smell. However due to the product content in this one being high in alcohol (other formulations use it but it is not so forthcoming in the order of product list of ingredients and others use a pletohra of wholesome natural ingredients), I would only recommend it for dire circumstances and try to couple it with pure witch hazel- Instead make the time to take care of your hair. This product is not meant to help you go weeks without washing your hair if you are trying to engage in healthy hair care practices.

At any rate, I had some witch hazel laying around and when I got back from the funeral I followed up the dry shampoo with a cotton swab soaked in witch hazel all over my scalp and sprayed a light mist of it over my hair. The results are great, it will tide me over until I wash my hair on Thursday. This might be a good thing especially for ladies who like to wash their hair less frequently to make it more tolerable. As for myself, I prefer washing at least 2-3 times a week unless I wear it straight then it's 5-7 days but I'm still holding on to that "not so fresh anymore" out of the salon feeling for just a few days more. :yep: Hope this review helps someone!

Jen

charmtreese

Ojon has a dry cleaning shampoo that looks kindof promising.

ojon® Rub-Out™ Dry Cleanser revives, refreshes and recharges hair and scalp without water, instantly “erasing” away impurities, toxins, excess oil and product build-up. It increases hair volume at the root while treating both hair and scalp.

• instantly cleanses, revives and refreshes hair and scalp without water
  • “erases” away impurities, toxins, excess oil and product build-up
  • leaves hair cleansed, light, luminous and healthy-looking
  • perfect for use between washings, as a hair pick-me-up, when you’re in a rush, or when you overuse a styling product
  • increases hair volume at the root while treating both hair and scalp
  • eco-friendly formula
Ojon® Rub-Out™ Dry Cleanser is perfect between washings as a hair pick-me-up, when you’re in a rush, or when you overuse a styling product.

INGREDIENTS:
ISOBUTANE, ALCOHOL, PROPANE, SOLANUM TUBEROSUM (POTATO) STARCH, ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE, KAOLIN (AMAZONIAN WHITE CLAY), ORYZA SATIVA (RICE) STARCH, QUILLAJA SAPONARIA BARK EXTRACT, ISOPROPYL MYRISTATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, HYDROLYZED KERATIN, HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN, BAMBUSA VULGARIS EXTRACT, ELAEIS OLEIFERA (PALM) OIL, CYCLODEXTRIN, BIXA ORELLANA SEED EXTRACT, SILICA, SILK POWDER (POUDRE DE SOIE), PARFUM (FRAGRANCE)

Isis

Dry cleaning product review:

Okay so I only found one kind of dry shampoo at 3 different Walgreens in my area even though it says they carry 2 online. Here is the one I tried:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...jump&navCount=0&skuid=sku394044&id=prod394043

I only decided to use it due to my increased interest in daily scalp massages. Even though I only use a little amla lite mixed with peppermint EO on my fingertips, I could really feel the light oily texture of my hair and my scalp was getting itchy (I just got a fresh relaxer after 3 months last Saturday so I'm having a hard time letting go and doing that first wash) :look:

Not to mention I had a funeral to attend today and I have to pick up my BF from the airport tommorow morning so I don't have time to do my hair until Thursday basically. At any rate, I wanted to check this out. This one only cost me 3.99 at Walgreens. I used only a little bit because I read up on it online and dry shampoos can leave hair very dull looking. Nonetheless, it relieved all of the oily heaviness. In fact I think it could've made my hair super dry if I used more. It also helped to curb the itchy scalp and made my hair and scalp smell fresher...

Not washed-with-good-smelling-shampoo-fresh but there is no unwashed hair/scalp smell. However due to the product content in this one being high in alcohol (other formulations use it but it is not so forthcoming in the order of product list of ingredients and others use a pletohra of wholesome natural ingredients), I would only recommend it for dire circumstances and try to couple it with pure witch hazel- Instead make the time to take care of your hair. This product is not meant to help you go weeks without washing your hair if you are trying to engage in healthy hair care practices.

At any rate, I had some witch hazel laying around and when I got back from the funeral I followed up the dry shampoo with a cotton swab soaked in witch hazel all over my scalp and sprayed a light mist of it over my hair. The results are great, it will tide me over until I wash my hair on Thursday. This might be a good thing especially for ladies who like to wash their hair less frequently to make it more tolerable. As for myself, I prefer washing at least 2-3 times a week unless I wear it straight then it's 5-7 days but I'm still holding on to that "not so fresh anymore" out of the salon feeling for just a few days more. :yep: Hope this review helps someone!

Jen
Thank you for sharing your review. I always wondered about the dry shampoos, if they really worked or not. :)

Isis

Ojon has a dry cleaning shampoo that looks kindof promising.

ojon® Rub-Out™ Dry Cleanser revives, refreshes and recharges hair and scalp without water, instantly “erasing” away impurities, toxins, excess oil and product build-up. It increases hair volume at the root while treating both hair and scalp.
  • instantly cleanses, revives and refreshes hair and scalp without water
  • “erases” away impurities, toxins, excess oil and product build-up
  • leaves hair cleansed, light, luminous and healthy-looking
  • perfect for use between washings, as a hair pick-me-up, when you’re in a rush, or when you overuse a styling product
  • increases hair volume at the root while treating both hair and scalp
  • eco-friendly formula
Ojon® Rub-Out™ Dry Cleanser is perfect between washings as a hair pick-me-up, when you’re in a rush, or when you overuse a styling product.

INGREDIENTS:
ISOBUTANE, ALCOHOL, PROPANE, SOLANUM TUBEROSUM (POTATO) STARCH, ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE, KAOLIN (AMAZONIAN WHITE CLAY), ORYZA SATIVA (RICE) STARCH, QUILLAJA SAPONARIA BARK EXTRACT, ISOPROPYL MYRISTATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, HYDROLYZED KERATIN, HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN, BAMBUSA VULGARIS EXTRACT, ELAEIS OLEIFERA (PALM) OIL, CYCLODEXTRIN, BIXA ORELLANA SEED EXTRACT, SILICA, SILK POWDER (POUDRE DE SOIE), PARFUM (FRAGRANCE)
This sounds interesting too. :yep: I wonder what people have said about it.

Isis

http://www.sephora.com/browse/brand_hierarchy.jhtml?brandId=Rene FurtererHere's another one with natural ingredients found at Sephora's. Seems like one has to use a brush with these shampoos though...

Naturia Dry Shampoo
Perfect for the gym bag, long flights, camping, office drawer, maintaining your hairstyle, or avoiding frequent shampooing, Naturia Dry Shampoo cleanses hair in minutes leaving it light, luminous, and perfectly healthy, without using water.

This unique formula instantly absorbs impurities and oil on the hair and scalp with a patented formula containing kaolin clay, silica, rice, and cornstarch powders for antistatic and antisebum action as well as the high absorption power of essential oils of peppermint, caraway, and basil to soften hair.

To use: Spray onto hair at a distance of 10 inches. Leave on for two minutes, then brush out.

LadyKaypnyc

ORS's Herbal Cleanse Latherless Hair & Scalp Shampoo's anti-bacterial action removes odor and residue without suds.

I use this product when I have braids, it really removes buildup.

Or you can simply use witch hazel...its more runny than ORS, but it will get the job done:grin:

W/ both products, you apply it to your scalp in sections, then take a paper towel or rag and rub your scalp. You will see all the product appear on the towel/rag. It really works:yep:

Everything Zen

Once again dry shampoo saved the day:

Right after I wrote my review on the Walgreen's Psssst! Dry Shampoo my boyfriend's father passed so we've been busy spending the last 3 days with relatives, etc. Between these commitments and work who has time to really attend to their hair? Dry shampoo is helping me hang in there until the funeral on Monday.

I would say couple this technique with a Peppermint and or Tea Tree EO diluted with the hair oil of your choice scalp massage, a light witch hazel spritzing and a little dry shampoo and you'll be good to go cos' you know you gots to look good when you meet the extended family for the first time. :yep:

It will have been 16 days since I last had it relaxed to when I FINALLY have time to wash and deep condition on Tuessday night so it's not that long of a stretch for some people, but I'm used to washing at least every 3-5 days if not every day.

Just another FYI ladies :drunk: