Drawstring ponytails

buffalosoldier

Time to confess: How many do you have?

I have a medium brown reddish curly whirly one that is on its last legs.
I have a long brown horse tail one. (this one turns heads)
And yesterday for some reason I bought a shortish blonde one which will match nicely with my brown hair I"m sure

My SO HATES them all and keeps threatening to throw them away!! Next I want a red one.
This board has turned me ghetto fabulous

Tai

I have three but I don't wear them often.
One is a long ponytail but it tangles. If I could find a long one that doesn't, I'd wear it more
I have a medium one that's very full & flippy.
I have a medium one that's like a pigcurl that clips on instead of with the drawstring. I haven't used that one yet.

Karonica

I had two, but had to trash one because the hair was terribly quality. I like to make ponytails out of wefted hair too.

kitchen_tician

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
I had two, but had to trash one because the hair was terribly quality. I like to make ponytails out of wefted hair too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Karonica, how do you do make one. I'm feeling "crafty"!

buffalosoldier

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
I like to make ponytails out of wefted hair too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to know too cos I cant figure it out....

BLESSED1

I have 10 that I hang on wire hangers in a spare closet in my house; wear them everyday and loving it!!!

Karonica

You put your own hair in a ponytail, and then plait the remainder hair that's left. Pin the plait down or tuck it under to form a little ball. Then, you start wrapping the wefted hair around your own little ball, but adding hairpins to pin it down in your own hair as you go. Simple as that.

LABETT

I have dozens of them all styles and I am really getting sick of them I think I get braids soon.

kitchen_tician

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
You put your own hair in a ponytail, and then plait the remainder hair that's left. Pin the plait down or tuck it under to form a little ball. Then, you start wrapping the wefted hair around your own little ball, but adding hairpins to pin it down in your own hair as you go. Simple as that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Karonica. The girl in the BSS told me to sew some weft/track hair onto a "side comb" and then you can stick it in you hair.

JenJen2721

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only phonytail I knew about before coming to this board. I used to wear these all the time!

LEOLADYSW

I already had 2, but I just bought a dozen more in various styles and lengths to wear on my moisturized bun for the summer as a protective style. I get bored, that's why I bought so many.

buffalosoldier

I really like them cos your own hair feels so safe and protected underneath. I just need to figure out how to stop blatantly grabbing it and making sure it hasnt fallen off. It doesnt look too becoming...

Thanks for the tip Karonica ..back to Sallys I go

ubavka123

Hi, I am new here (well, I have been lurking for 2 weeks or so and I must add that my hair has been so much happier since) and I just wanted to put my little 2 cents in. I am a big fan of using wefted hair for my "phony ponies." I make ballerina buns, buns with scrunchies...I love it. I also love seeing posts like this from so many women with beautiful hair. Too many people assume that phony pony means no hair. They are so wrong!!!!! :-D I have 4a/b hair which is layered, the longest part being at the top og my shoulder blades.

OnceUponAtime

I like to call them hair length retainers.
I only have two, but I'm considering more.

This is the style I wear, but I finger pick some of the curls to give it a more natural fluff.

aregee

i've never worn one, but i really like them. my daughter makes ponytails out of tracks. seems like a better idea just to buy the ponytail. she never listens to me though.

GrowthSpurt

[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Karonica, how do you do make one. I'm feeling "crafty"!

[/ QUOTE ]

Another thing to do is go buy a hair net (a sturdy one like the integration ones, the $2.99 ones NOT the $.99 ones)...

Then grab a Handy Stitch or needle and thread and sew about 5 tracks of weave hair on the net. Then take the net and fit it around one of your ponytails or buns...this way you can see where you need to put the elastic or ribbon...

What I do sometimes is I take a headband and cut it, sew it in there, that way I can just twist the "phonytail" around like a scrunchie (just make sure the hair is going the same direction or else it will look like a big ball of weave).

Also, if you do it that way, you can actually sew a peice of satin or silk fabric to the inside of the phonytail to further protect your hair. And you know how DontSpeakDefeat does the baggie method? You can sew a little peice of vinyl in there too, so your oils and hair juices
(lol) won't get all on the weave hair.

Or take a satiny/silky colored ribbon that way you can just put it on, and tie the ribbon around your bun as loose or as tight as you want it.

I use this method for making stocking cap wigs. I just use the Handy Stich to sew the tracks to a net, instead of gluing them.

Also, the Handy Stitch is good for reinforcing wefted hair before getting a sew in.

GrowthSpurt

Yeah, they're pretty cheap to. You can get one from a craft store for under $20.00. But check around the Walgreen's and CVS's "Seen on TV" shelves. There might be one there for $9.99