Don't go Shopping for Hair Products with this Book!

Lavendar

Okay...that was supposed to be Without this Book..

I remember a good while ago someone posted about this book by Paula Begoun, but it was geared toward makeup. She was saying she wished there was one for hair. Well I found it in the bookstore yesterday. Though I don't agree with some stuff I read, I took some notes about products she says are good and are not. Some of the bad ones we use...like Aubrey Organics.:eek: Although I don't agree with some of the things she says, she did have some excellent information in this book. Has anyone read this?? If so, what did you think??

I've read both books. Got the makeup book over ten years ago I think and then later when she came out with the hair products book I read that too. I don't agree with everything she says either (e.g. her position on mineral oil) but as far as being an informed consumer about beauty products goes (I think that's pretty much everyone on boards like this) they're worth reading.

I bought this book a year ago when I first became serious about my hair care. Like you said I disagree with some of her reviews on certain products, (based upon my personal experience with the products). But some of her info is dead on right. I did a little research on her and found that she spent years on her research and spent a lot of time with chemist who know their stuff about how chemicals in products interact with our hair.

Blackberry7 said:
I've read both books. Got the makeup book over ten years ago I think and then later when she came out with the hair products book I read that too. I don't agree with everything she says either (e.g. her position on mineral oil) but as far as being an informed consumer about beauty products goes (I think that's pretty much everyone on boards like this) they're worth reading.

Agreed, and the technical information about the hair structure is good too. I was surprised to see some AA brands listed in there too. I was mostly interested in shampoos, because although we post lots of info on different conditioners, no one ever really mentions good moisturizing shampoos without a lot of harsh, drying chemicals, probably cause there really aren't many. I'm at work so I'm rushing and making a lot of typos, but for anyone who hasn't read the book I will post some of my notes on products that we talk about on LCHF at a later time.

Please, more opinions on this book if there are any!

I've read the product reviews on her website, and like others have already mentioned, I agree with most of her opinions. I was hesitant to try Aubrey Organics products because of her reviews, but I'm glad I changed my mind and tried them out.

I'm wondering why she doesn't like Aubrey Organics, is it b/c of the lack of preservatives? That has always been what bothered me about them. I just didn't feel that their natural ones were enough.

Lavendar said:

I remember a good while ago someone posted about this book by Paula Begoun, but it was geared toward makeup. She was saying she wished there was one for hair. Well I found it in the bookstore yesterday. Though I don't agree with some stuff I read, I took some notes about products she says are good and are not. Some of the bad ones we use...like Aubrey Organics.:eek: Although I don't agree with some of the things she says, she did have some excellent information in this book. Has anyone read this?? If so, what did you think??

i read it and posted about it. she shattered my belief that expensive products are better for your hair. i wrote down a few products to buy that she recommended but i either couldn't find them in stores or i forgot about them. overall a very informative book.

I appreciate her book. I do not like the index, search feature much but it is a useful book. I initially borrowed it from the library; recently purchased my own from Amazon. Generally, she has done a great job. I like the product reviews but as others stated I do not always agree with her objectively subjective opinions.The substitutes for the more expensive products is good looking out.

Lavendar said:

I felt the same way after I flipped through her book. I didnt agree with alot but there were many good points.

I borrowed the book from the library and kept it for a good 3 months after it was due because it was so good. I think her research on ingredients and chemical processes were great.

I looked at her product reviews, but I personally didn't heed most of the advice or recommendations. My main reason, all she did was base them off the ingredient lists. Of course ingredient list mean something, but I personally think that unless you actually try a product and put it on your hair, you can't really "review" it.

Lavendar said:

NO!!:eek: I just bought my first bottle of Aubrey Organics today.

OK, I've been silently lurking on LHCF for ages, but I had to post about this book. I am a huge Paula Begoun fan, and I have both her skincare book and her haircare book. Like most of the previous posters, I don't agree with all of her opinions (about hair or skin products). Even so, her opinions are thoughtful and well-researched. Both books have been a great help to me in maintaining the health of my skin and hair.

la mosca said:
OK, I've been silently lurking on LHCF for ages, but I had to post about this book. I am a huge Paula Begoun fan, and I have both her skincare book and her haircare book. Like most of the previous posters, I don't agree with all of her opinions (about hair or skin products). Even so, her opinions are thoughtful and well-researched. Both books have been a great help to me in maintaining the health of my skin and hair.

Welcome out of lurkdome.

Sar-I said:
I'm wondering why she doesn't like Aubrey Organics, is it b/c of the lack of preservatives? That has always been what bothered me about them. I just didn't feel that their natural ones were enough.

No, not the preservatives. I didn't write that part down, but basically she was saying that the coconut-derived soap that they use is bogus. She also downed a lot of natural products and products that contain a lot of EO's like rosemary and peppermint. She said these really are just scalp irritants and will eventually cause irritation and damage to the scalp. She also said adding biotin and nutrients to shampoos and conditioners was bogus cause you really just wash them down the sink. BUT, she also said that leaving a conditioner in the hair for 2 or 3 minutes is a waste of product. There is some evidence that conditioners actually penetrate the hair shaft and therefore must be left on much longer. So that sounds like a contradiction to me in terms of the nutrients not doing anything for the hair.

Quick Notes:

The whole Suave Professional and Performance lines were given the thumbs down. They contain a harsh chemical called TEA-dodecylbenzenesulfant...or something like that...I can't read my scribble scrabble.

Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo and Balsam & Protein Shampoo - Best Inexpensive Clarifying shampoos, she said basically all the regular scented shampoos in the Suave line are also clarifying shampoos in that they are formulated just like the Daily Clarifying one.

All of the Tresemme line got the thumbs up, except for the European Vitamin E Moisture Shampoo - Sorry I didn't note why

Kenra Shampoo - Thumbs Down
Kenra Conditioner - Thumbs Up

Best Conditioners:
Neutrogena Triple Moisture DC and Hair Mask
KMS Daily Fixx Moisture Reconstructor
Nexxus Humectress

Garnier Fructis whole line got the thumbs up, but she warned that the shampoos do cause build up

She dogged the Phytospecific line y'all. Not the relaxer, but the poos and cons. Not that they are all that bad, but she said the Loreal Vive line is comparable, so save your money.

White Rain Tropical Coconut Conditioner got the thumbs up cause it has no harsh ingredients, but she says there is no real coconut and/or oil in it and the smell is totally artificial. (I was cracking up, I just bought that. Went deep in the country to find it too.:grin:)

Best Shampoo For Normal to Dry Hair
White Rain Extra Body Shampoo
Nexxus Vitatress Biotin Shampoo - even though she says the biotin ain't really doing nothing for ya, it's still a good poo.

Best Shampoo for Dry to Very Dry Hair
Loreal Vive Curl Moisture Poo
Neutrogena Triple Moisture Cream Lather
KMS Daily Repair

Best Products in Jason's Line
Hemp Enriched Poo
Sea Kelp Poo
Apricot Keratin Poo and Con
Forest Essence Vital Conditioner

Best V05 Conditioner - Fruitsations Conditioner - Never seen this....anyone seen this????

That's about all I can read....I do have a note that L'anza Hair Repair Formula Protein Plus is good...but no further info.

The section that really got me was the brushing and how she recommends minimal manipulation. She said "brushing tears away the cuticle and blowdrying on high heat, flat and curling irons tear away tiny and large parts of the cuticle. Brush and comb infrequently and as gently as possible, brushing is one of the most damaging things you do to your hair."

Oh..Sap Moss Nourishing Concentrate got a thumbs down. The Aveda Brilliant line got the thumbs up.

Now I know this leaves a lot of unanswered questions that someone with the book can probably answer. I have some myself, but I only had a tiny piece of paper. I'm going back to the bookstore and take a notebook. The book is copywritten for 2004 and if I buy one I want a newer version. Giovanni isn't even in there.

Peace!

I LOVE Paula Begoun. I use all her skin products. They have worked wonders for my face. Love her products. I read all her books. Thats how I found my love NTM from reading about it in her book.

She says peppermint and rosemary are irritants for the scalp. The cooling sensation is actually the scalp being irritated. I love using this on my scalp though. :( decisions, decisions.

natstar said:
She says peppermint and rosemary are irritants for the scalp. The cooling sensation is actually the scalp being irritated. I love using this on my scalp though. :( decisions, decisions.

Yeah, "irritants" seem to be her beef with most products, especially the natural-based ones like Aveda, Jason's, and Aubrey Organics. I think if you try one of those products and have no problems with it, you should go ahead and use continue to use them. My skin & scalp aren't the least bit sensitive, so I don't think I'm causing damage by using a Jason's or Aubrey's conditioner once a week. Just my opinion.

preciousjewel76 said:
Yeah, "irritants" seem to be her beef with most products, especially the natural-based ones like Aveda, Jason's, and Aubrey Organics. I think if you try one of those products and have no problems with it, you should go ahead and use continue to use them. My skin & scalp aren't the least bit sensitive, so I don't think I'm causing damage by using a Jason's or Aubrey's conditioner once a week. Just my opinion.

Basically she dogs all natural ingredients. I am all about holistic beauty care so I disagree with that but I am still open minded to read anyone's product reviews. I don't have to agree but I'm always interested to see their research.

Lavendar said:

what did she say about AO?
ETA: nevermind I read the review...

Last edited:
natstar said:

I know right. I love the tingling peppermint feel from UBH, and I even add a few extra drops of peppermist. I didn't realize that was actually irritation. My scalp never feels "irritated" in a bad way. I also use different EO's in my henna....rosemary, sage, lavender, tangerine...and I've had nothing but good results. When it comes to dangerous chemicals that's one thing, but if you are using something natural, unless you have a specific allergy I don't see how that could be damaging.:confused:

Back