Dominican Regimen???

webby said:
I wash my hair every other week. It's shocking to find a stylist who recommends every other week, as opposed to weekly. My hair just gets way too dry, regardless to how what, or how much I put in.

I am washing weekly now, because I work a lot now.

Webby, I work out about four days per week. I remember Lucy telling me to wrap my hair up before I exercise and take it down and it will be fine. I'm like, "but won't I sweat it out anyway?" She was like, "you sweat"? Um, is it WORKING OUT if I don't sweat????!!!

RabiaElaine said:
Hi Leshia,

I started the challenge...look for my other thread Dominican Challenge.
I'm very excited that you will be joining us! I really have a lot of faith in this challenge, because going to a Dominican salon is the only common thread amongst my personal friends who have long hair. Now I am not vouching for all Dominican salons, I've been to a few whom I did not like how they handled my hair. However, as long as you find one whose techniques you like, and you are consistent with going there and not manipulating your hair too much it should work in retaining length and maybe even stretching your relaxers.

Great challenge, Rabia! *waving* I can't think of a better one when I get to be pampered for the "cause". Teehee. *winkwink**

:rofl: Too funny!

Leshia said:
Webby, I work out about four days per week. I remember Lucy telling me to wrap my hair up before I exercise and take it down and it will be fine. I'm like, "but won't I sweat it out anyway?" She was like, "you sweat"? Um, is it WORKING OUT if I don't sweat????!!!

What do you mean by that? :confused:

What kind of results do you get from each of these?
RabiaElaine said:
Hi Ladies,

. They handle the hair VERY gently, if they come up against a tangle in you hair the stop and comb in on the other side of the knot, very carefully until the untangle it. They rollerset the hair with the right amount of tightness so it pulls even my 4a/b roots pretty straight. After the rollerset they ask you if you want them to blow the hair out, blow out the roots only, or just wrap (I've been to other salons where they get offended if you don't want them blowing it out). I had them blow my hair out once, but told them to do it very lightly, I didn't hear any hair breaking/or snapping during this process, and the lady did do it very lightly.

If any of you work out a lot, does your hair still maintain its silkiness by the end of the week or by the time you go for your next appointment? Is your hair wrapped up while working out?

Leshia said:
goodness, now I'm thinking about every 8 days or so. Why would she tell me once every two weeks if most are doing it once a week? Hmmm...anyway, anyone up for the challenge? If just a few want to do it, I'm in!

Know any Dom Salons in Hampton Roads? I'd love to join this challenge.

LoriLOCX said:
Know any Dom Salons in Hampton Roads? I'd love to join this challenge.

Ugh, sorry, Lori, I am not familiar with Hampton Roads at all. I barely found Lucy in Arlington. I know there are posts of many places in DC/MD...

19sweetie said:
If any of you work out a lot, does your hair still maintain its silkiness by the end of the week or by the time you go for your next appointment? Is your hair wrapped up while working out?

My hair's been wrapped since i got it done last Friday and let me tell you, after my run today (Sunday), my hair was screaming to be washed, so I gave in. It still seemed pretty shiny, but it definitely needed to be washed. It started to become dry. I had been working out almost every day since I got it done, but not too, too hard. I needed to run today and that was pretty much it for the blow-out.

webby said:
I wash my hair every other week. It's shocking to find a stylist who recommends every other week, as opposed to weekly. My hair just gets way too dry, regardless to how what, or how much I put in.

I am washing weekly now, because I work a lot now.

This is what I've run into on day 8--dryness. I definitely know my limit with it now. I had to wash today (Sunday) and don't plan on going back until Thursday.

Honeyhips said:
What do you mean by that? :confused:

What kind of results do you get from each of these?

Hi Honeyhips,

Dominican wash & sets are very good for maintaining straight silky hair. Dominican salons are generally very gentle with your hair when its wet. They do not comb through your whole head of hair at one time unless it has conditioner on it. Most salons put you under the dryer automatically with conditioner in your hair to deep condition for about 20 minutes. In most other salons I've been to, I have to ask to be deep conditioned (my domincan salon does not charge extra for being put under the dryer).

When they rollerset your hair they are also very gentle and you loose very little hair while they do this. They put the rollers in your hair in such a way that the roots can be pulled mostly straight, and dry straight under the dryer. Some of us choose to have our roots blown straight after the rollers come out, to really get them silky straight.

I feel that this helps me to keep more hair on my head because my roots (even when several weeks post relaxer) are as smooth as my relaxed hair. This in turn helps with preventing breakage at the line of demarcation.

I believe that this type of regimen works if you are someone like to have their hair bouncy and full, and who wants to have their roots straightened until they get their next relaxer. It works for me because airdrying my hair in a ponytail does not work for me, I lose more hair than I gain by doing this. But this is just me, it works for many other ladies here.

I hope this explanation helps :) . Let me know if you have any other questions.

19sweetie said:

I work out four days a week and i leave my hair in a ponytail when exercising. My hair doens't get messed up at all and remains silky all week.

It sounds like a good idea to me too RabiaElaine...

I wish there was a Dominican salon in my area... I would definitely try one out! I guess I need to ask around and look around more to see if there really is one in Louisville...

How do you guys find Dominican salons in your area? Are there any white or black salons that do a similar technique as the Dominicans?

I think when I graduate college, move out of KENTUCKY, and get a nice paying job, I would go to one once a month or so. :)

Poohbear said:
How do you guys find Dominican salons in your area? Are there any white or black salons that do a similar technique as the Dominicans?

I think when I graduate college, move out of KENTUCKY, and get a nice paying job, I would go to one once a month or so. :)

I live in NY so I can't really help you because in NY, especially in certain areas there could be 3 dominican salons on one block (and trust me I know a couple of streets like that in Queens). Try doing a search on the internet, some places specify that they are a dominican salon.

RabiaElaine said:
I live in NY so I can't really help you because in NY, especially in certain areas there could be 3 dominican salons on one block (and trust me I know a couple of streets like that in Queens). Try doing a search on the internet, some places specify that they are a dominican salon.
Trust me, I've tried the internet and even calling salons in the yellow pages asking if they were Dominican salons...:lol: I think the best thing for me to do is to ask a hispanic about salons they go to or something.

Poohbear said:
Trust me, I've tried the internet and even calling salons in the yellow pages asking if they were Dominican salons...:lol: I think the best thing for me to do is to ask a hispanic about salons they go to or something.

Definitely ask someone. I hope it won't be too hard for you to get to it either. I'm sure there is at least one somewhere around. And when you go, they can probably rollerset your 4 months post relaxer hair.:)

RabiaElaine said:
Definitely ask someone. I hope it won't be too hard for you to get to it either. I'm sure there is at least one somewhere around. And when you go, they can probably rollerset your 4 months post relaxer hair.:)

Yeah, I rather them rollerset it than me because my arms get tired so that's another reason I don't have the time to do a rollerset. I have to sit down and take a break after doing one row of my hair! :D

Poohbear said:
Yeah, I rather them rollerset it than me because my arms get tired so that's another reason I don't have the time to do a rollerset. I have to sit down and take a break after doing one row of my hair! :D

Haha Poohbear that is EXACTLY my downfall too! My arms just get SOOO tired! I spend almost 30min-an hour just trying to rollerset my hair! I prefer it when the Dominicans do it.

I would like to join in the challenge. Anyone around the MD area know of a GOOD dominican salon/dominican stylist that you frequent and TRUST other than Luisa's or Jaselvis?

Please let me know. I'm looking for one to frequent. Don't get me wrong, I like Luisa's and Jaselvis I suppose, but I'm always open to NEW salons and just testing the different styles and vibes I get there. If I really like it there, I won't go anywhere else.

PS-That Reactions Salon you go to Boadicea looks WONDERFUL! I checked out the website you posted, and they seem really dedicated to promoting long, thick, HEALTHY hair. And I can tell, your hair has definitely thrived from them. Your hair is really long, thick, and HEALTHY looking! The hair gallery on the website was really nice too! Too bad I don't live in NY. :-( The Dominican salons here in MD can be a bit pricey. Boy, if I could find a salon like Reactions here in Maryland I'd be jumping off the roof! But if anyone knows of a GOOD Dominican salon in the MD area that promotes LONG, HEALTHY hair PLEASE let me know so that I can join in the challenge! :)

Thanx

Last edited:
Back